• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

AudioArchitech

A08 is pretty good, but not a giant killer either. Comparing it to my Audiolab 6000A. Right away I can hear the Highs are a bit more in your face, a little glare... The bass isn't as defined. Less midrange. Overall the tone is a little off, less refined. But overall it's fairly acceptable, IMO it punches a bit above it's price. Perfect for my shop speakers (although I have yet to try it on them) Perhaps an op amp swap will improve a bit? we'll see.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
For fun....
For audio application to 20KHz with a 5 volt output from the op amps a slew rate of ~0.628V/μS is required.
The OP275 has a available slew rate of 22 V/μs and a bandwidth up to 9 MHz.
The NE5532 has a available slew rate of 9 V/μs and a bandwidth up to 10 MHz.
As can be seen the slew rate and bandwidth for any of the two op amps by far exceeds the spec required for 20KHz.
View attachment 152590
View attachment 152591
Looks like a good way to introduce oscillation with that much higher slew rate. Would defiantly want a scope to check what's happening in the circuit.

AudioArchitech

Be fun to try some discrete op amps such as the Burson Vivids in the A08. But it seems a little crazy to spend more on the op amps than the A08 itself

AudioArchitech

some things don't need such tests, you can clearly hear the difference. ie: switching back and forth between my Audiolab to A08. If there is any bias, I'm hoping for the A08 to be as good or better.

AudioArchitech

Fun story: I recently rebuilt my speaker crossovers with better quality parts. I used all the same values in the crossover but changed parts to ClarityCap CSA + a 0.1uf Miflex KPCU Copper Bypass cap on tweeter, ClarityCap PX on woofer, Solen 16 AWG air core inductors, Mills resistors, high purity copper wire with PE jacket... For testing purposes, I upgraded one speaker and left the other stock to hear for any changes. Moved in front of one speaker then moved in front of the other and the difference was huge. Cranked Balance from left to right... Not only was the sound more clear, more detailed, soundstage (heard later when both were done)... there were actually sounds coming out of the upgraded speaker that simply weren't there at all in the stock one. What really stuck out to me was the massively improved midrange. Crossovers measure the same, sound tho is way different.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Fun story: I recently rebuilt my speaker crossovers with better quality parts. I used all the same values in the crossover but changed parts to ClarityCap CSA + a 0.1uf Miflex KPCU Copper Bypass cap on tweeter, ClarityCap PX on woofer, Solen 16 AWG air core inductors, Mills resistors, high purity copper wire with PE jacket... For testing purposes, I upgraded one speaker and left the other stock to hear for any changes. Moved in front of one speaker then moved in front of the other and the difference was huge. Cranked Balance from left to right... Not only was the sound more clear, more detailed, soundstage (heard later when both were done)... there were actually sounds coming out of the upgraded speaker that simply weren't there at all in the stock one. What really stuck out to me was the massively improved midrange. Crossovers measure the same, sound tho is way different.
Thay won't measure the same. Were you to measure each part you'd likely find lower noise, distortion, more accurate phase, better power stability and absolute value accuracy. I'm fairly unconviced by wire changes though.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
so wouldn’t the same logic apply to op amps. not just slew rate?
Not really , a crossover is a simple passive filter. A op-amp is a complex active circuit. You could fit it hear a difference and not realize it's oscillating at 1mhz causing the difference. Untill the circuit melts down that is :D

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Screenshot_20210912-024001.png

I can't even

AudioArchitech

Follow up review on Aiyima A08. It definitely pairs up to different speakers differently than I expected. I have a pair of old JBL J2060's (upgraded crossovers and "no-rez"..) The tweeters are bright and annoying on my Integrated amplifier, I have to turn the Treble down to make them listenable. Surprisingly, through the A08 no Tone Controls necessary, good match, sounds great. I would have expected the opposite.

Last edited:

jst

My speakers are only 100w each but since the real test reveals that it's only 50-77watt, does that mean it's safe for my speaker to use this A07 ?

Damn that 300w is intimidating lol if it's real. Gotta use SPL speaker for that.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
My speakers are only 100w each but since the real test reveals that it's only 50-77watt, does that mean it's safe for my speaker to use this A07 ?

Damn that 300w is intimidating lol if it's real. Gotta use SPL speaker for that.

The best security for your speakers are your ears. They tell when they start to feel uncomfortable. You just have to listen to them. ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The chip can theoretically output 300W but the way this amplifier is designed it would really shut down around 100W or so.

Also which speaker and which test? 50-77W is ridiculously low even for small speakers.

jst

The best security for your speakers are your ears. They tell when they start to feel uncomfortable. You just have to listen to them. ;)
Indeed, but buying blind via online would need to know spec too.

The chip can theoretically output 300W but the way this amplifier is designed it would really shut down around 100W or so.

Also which speaker and which test? 50-77W is ridiculously low even for small speakers.
I use Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 which is 6 ohm and it says 100 watt.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Indeed, but buying blind via online would need to know spec too.

I use Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 which is 6 ohm and it says 100 watt.

No prob to use a 100W speaker on a 300W amp. @amirm used 1kW amps on 100W speaker with no harm. Its all up to you ears.

Top Bottom