• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oterwise its more harm than good.

It's never more harm than good, in fact if you managed to get a worse sound with two subwoofers then you have defied the laws of physics.

two sources (well in this case 4 sources since you don't need to high-pass the R3) will reduce the statistical variance in the room significantly even without any integration efforts.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's never more harm than good, in fact if you managed to get a worse sound with two subwoofers then you have defied the laws of physics.

two sources (well in this case 4 sources since you don't need to high-pass the R3) will reduce the statistical variance in the room significantly even without any integration efforts.

I've high passed my R3's because where they were sitting (even having half bun installed on the ports) would excite some nasty room mode peaks. In the following months when I apply FIR corrections to every channel I will try to leave the R3's as full range and test If that work as having 2 extra "little subs", the R3 have respectable output down to 30Hz and even some (but quite below) at 20Hz.

tecnogadget

What kind of DSP are you using at the moment?

Very simple and basic. The provided 3 PEQ filters in the SVS SB-1000 Pro, and the corrections made by YPAO on Yamaha DSP-Z9 (10 PEQ bands for each channel, and 5 PEQ bands for Sub). The thing is you are not allowed to make any change to those YPAO PEQ bands, you only can change the presets (FLAT-FRONT-LOW-MID-HIGH). That's why I prefer to use the provided Graphic EQ to make In-Room mild changes since R3 response is quite smooth. But now that I've added the SVS to the mix, I like the stock R3 response that shows on the measurements with a mild boost of treble with tone control. I have not yet found the time to fin-tune the results a little bit more.

Mind that I consider all of the above a temporary solution, until I can get an HTPC and Motu Ultralite MK5, and apply complete powered up DSP with either Acourate, Audiolense, Focus Fidelity...and my endgame will be completed.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very simple and basic. The provided 3 PEQ filters in the SVS SB-1000 Pro, and the corrections made by YPAO on Yamaha DSP-Z9 (10 PEQ bands for each channel, and 5 PEQ bands for Sub). The thing is you are not allowed to make any change to those YPAO PEQ bands, you only can change the presets (FLAT-FRONT-LOW-MID-HIGH). That's why I prefer to use the provided Graphic EQ to make In-Room mild changes since R3 response is quite smooth. But now that I've added the SVS to the mix, I like the stock R3 response that shows on the measurements with a mild boost of treble with tone control. I have not yet found the time to fin-tune the results a little bit more.

Mind that I consider all of the above a temporary solution, until I can get an HTPC and Motu Ultralite MK5, and apply complete powered up DSP with either Acourate, Audiolense, Focus Fidelity...and my endgame will be completed.

Sounds like a great plan, I'm waiting for Intel's NUC series to support HDMI 2.1

tecnogadget

Sounds like a great plan, I'm waiting for Intel's NUC series to support HDMI 2.1

I'm sticking with either the 8th gen NUC's (because of much better integrated Iris Plus 655) or different HTPC with real graphic card like GTX 1050ti or GTX 1060/1070 to run state of the art madVR upscaling and processing. Since I want to playback UHD discs, I'm limited to Intel from 6th to 10th generation (SGX support).

If I may ask, why do you need HDMI 2.1 ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may ask, why do you need HDMI 2.1 ?

Many reasons, mainly because with my current electronics I'm already 90% of the way there. And also because I want 4K resolution @ 120Hz because I want the PC to also become a mini game station using GeForce NOW streaming. 4K @ 30Hz is a little choppy specially when your TV supports HDMI 2.1 already.

Streamc

No problem with HF (high frequencies). It is my amp or PCU connection problem in right channel. I switched position of speakers but nothing changed. It is really not their problem. Maybe even bad cable connection. I need check

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you kidding ? I’ve uploaded measurements of what you ask just 15 post behind yours. Its even on the same page...The room is 25m2

It all depends on your needs and strategy. For me it is suitable. I get response to 20Hz (not 100% linear because of the challenging room), the sub is small, beautiful and fits my available space, it adds the needed weight in bass and I’m not even stressing it.

I would not trust that SVS wizard that chooses subs. I could get more output around and below 20Hz if I went with PB-1000 Pro, but it is much bigger and won’t fit where my SB-1000 Pro is right now, and it doesn’t sell in White gloss to match my white R series. Plus I could run into rumble issues with neighbors because of higher output below 20Hz.

As an advice, don’t go dual Sub if you don’t know how to integrate them with a Umik microphone and MSO, or if you don’t have Dirac Bass Control in your system. Oterwise its more harm than good.
Do it if you know, or hire someone who knows.
The purpose of the SVS Wizard is to upsell their more expensive models. Bless their little hearts, SVS just makes their budget models too good for their own good.

Reactions: Ata

Streamc

I run Iron Maiden "Judas My Guide" very beginning via TPA3255 and feel lack of HF between 10kHz and 13Khz comparing to seenheiser HD660.
I think Kef R3 is too soft on highs. And they Refernce series has more HF.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I run Iron Maiden "Judas My Guide" very beginning via TPA3255 and feel lack of HF between 10kHz and 13Khz comparing to seenheiser HD660.
I think Kef R3 is too soft on highs. And they Refernce series has more HF.
Have you played with the toe angle? that thing can change a lot the FR..

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yes. I have HF, but need powerful as in headphones.
Well since everything have different gear and taste you can always change a little bit the FR, but if the problem its between 10khz to 13khz just boost with EQ that part, very easy to fix the problem

:)

mike70

Well, now i have the SVS 3000 micro with my R3 speakers. I need to play a little more, but the first impressions are really good ... a more full bodied sound, even the soundstage is bigger.

I think it achieves the goal i was looking for ... a "loudness" mode at low volume, just like with big speakers, without forcing the bookshelfs with equalization adding distortion.

A great buy, recommended

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I have a question, with windows can you delay the the woofers/UNIQ for fix/get a better time alignment? Like the actives speakers

Last edited:

Mythy

Hey guys I have just got these speakers and am using them in a nearfield desktop setup. I was using a pair of LSiM703 polks. These are much more detailed and create a amazing field of sound. I don't hear the speakers position and everything is very holographic. However... Mid base like male voices sound like there echoing, lots of resonance also boomy. Base sounds muffled and lacking control. I am debating returning them, not sure what to do. I have the ports sealed and that doesn't change much. There's just too much base in the voices and its lacking clarity. even female voices sound a bit manly. I am powering them with a Emotiva a-300 amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys I have just got these speakers and am using them in a nearfield desktop setup. I was using a pair of LSiM703 polks. These are much more detailed and create a amazing field of sound. I don't hear the speakers position and everything is very holographic. However... Mid base like male voices sound like there echoing, lots of resonance also boomy. Base sounds muffled and lacking control. I am debating returning them, not sure what to do. I have the ports sealed and that doesn't change much. There's just too much base in the voices and its lacking clarity. even female voices sound a bit manly. I am powering them with a Emotiva a-300 amp.
Are they pulled out from the wall?

Mythy

No, they have 0 wall clearance. They are angled to my ears and the ports are sealed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they have 0 wall clearance. They are angled to my ears and the ports are sealed.
Ahh well placing the cabinets against the wall will make them sound a bit boomy. It amplifies the bass. Try standing in the middle of the room and speaking then in the corner and against the wall. You'll see the effect each position has on the sound.

Mythy

its more then just boomy, male voices sound muffled like talking through a sock. Even female voices sound a bit manly. treble sounds great, detail is there. they are dynamic. Techno sounds great but everything else sounds awful. Its like my mids/bass is overpowering and very muffled. girls voices lack clarity and detail. basically everything sounds like its playing through a pillow. Could it be my Emotiva a-300 amp?

Top Bottom