• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Danley’s new ‘Hyperion’

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We hope to have a pair of Danley’s new Hyperion ( this pair in fact)

here at Purité Audio London early in October.
Keith

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I think these would look much better in a piano black (or other custom) finish. The default one presented here is a bit lacking in the aesthetics department to catch the immediate attention of moneyed audiophiles.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Paint the speaker white and the horn red.

I remember seeing some Danley synergy horns in white... retains its boxy shape, of course, but definitely a bit more classy.

There's also these custom RM28s, which look really fantastic in your stated color combination:

1632184826875.jpeg

Maybe a bit much for someone else's taste.

I've also seen the slightly bigger version (RM22) in white:

1632185284536.jpeg

Custom paint/finish definitely makes a huge aesthetic impact even on the ugliest "box" speakers.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I heard a pair a few months back. They are incredible. Not sure if you saw this or not but I made a little video about my trip over there.

I think I prefer those with the natural wood grain look. But the bigger horn designs are always rather overly imposing in any kind domestic home setup -- a dash of color would be very much welcome -- and I think would greatly improve the WAF rating.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Is there a suggested retail price yet?

Not more details in their website, currently...

I don't often peruse hi-end marketed speakers so can't make an accurate guess. Nevertheless, my own guestimate is maybe around $30k for a start -- though, even if I had the dough, I'd only really be tempted if paint/finish customization were allowed.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tom Danley’s new Hyperions could/should arrive here Thursday!

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just a reminder that Erin of ths very forum has already spent some time with them, he appears to like them.

Keith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Definitely from the 'better heard than seen' school of loudspeaker design.

Put them behind a sheer curtain, tapestry, please. Those ugly black things look like the type of speakers someone scavenged out of the skip from a nightclub that was being demolished.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Definitely from the 'better heard than seen' school of loudspeaker design.

Put them behind a sheer curtain, tapestry, please. Those ugly black things look like the type of speakers someone scavenged out of the skip from a nightclub that was being demolished.

This are not Barbys speakers, this are Ken's speakers. At least until they diforce. ;)

Reactions: GDK
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
dude, those things are badass.

I haven't heard a lot of "endgame" speakers but I can't imaging how they could be much better than the Hyperion. They are an experience.
I have heard ( albeit mostly at the Munich show) nearly all of the high end offerings and mostly been underwhelmed , I went through the Cessaro range finishing with these semi-active four ways,

Massive but far from convincing, more recently the Hedd ‘main towers’ 16x8” bass drivers they had real heft in terms of bass.

Hedds next to KiiThree/BXT
I am not too worried about appearance.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Look what that charming Iain Mackie ( and two colleagues) of Danley Dound Distribution just dropped off,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Enjoying 12Hz. as are all my immediate neighbours.
Keith

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Look what that charming Iain Mackie ( and two colleagues) of Danley Dound Distribution just dropped off,

Keith
Can you post up a pic with much better lighting? It is too dark for me to see them. Also pics of the sides that have drivers. They are very impressive looking and horn speakers always have the best "You are there" sound. Do you know the price range with a $5000 accuracy guess? Oh, and YES! I'm jealous!!! :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My wife is not going to be happy.

Keith

Top Bottom