• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L A12 anybody?

dealpapa

Everybody wants TPA3255

nobody try Infineon's MA12070 chip?

Dear Ctiger said:
5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than expected
Reviewed in the United States on September 2, 2021
Verified Purchase
I was looking for an inexpensive amp for a second system powering some outstanding NHT speakers. I figured this unit would be marginally better than the AD18 powering my television speakers. What sold me on this amp is the Infineon chip that is used in much higher priced amps. I considered the well reviewed Aiyima A07, but without digital inputs it would need an external dac. The SMSL A12 HAS A usb input meaning an internal dac. Frankly at a $90 price I didn't expect the dac to be very good, so when I hooked my amp up to my system I decided to try the usb port thinking I would eventually use my Soundavo dac into the rca input. As soon as I turned it on I was wowed by the spaciousness, tonal accuracy and solid bass coming from my speakers. Sound signature is natural and dynamic. It sounded so good I decided to try it in my main system powering Elac Debut Reference speakers. These speakers can sound a little bloated but with this little amp they became very resolving with a large sound stage and great instrument separation. The internal dac is surprisingly good, and is probably worth the price on its own. I am amazed you can get such quality sound for so little. Solid five stars. Well done SMSL!

dr0ss

There have been several amps discussed here based on the same chip: SMSL DA9, Loxjie A30, Sabaj A20, and a few others. Search this site for "MA12070 " for lots of fun reading.

The A12 might be a heck of a deal for a bare-bones power amp, depending on the build quality.

GeekySimar

I got SMSL A12. It is awesome, its just bare bone amp without fancy things.
But I am facing one problem, at higher volume and high Bass setting there is clicking sound coming out of the speakers.

I am trying to debug it and have reported to SMSL as well.

Lets see.

Thanks,
Simar

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got SMSL A12. It is awesome, its just bare bone amp without fancy things.
But I am facing one problem, at higher volume and high Bass setting there is clicking sound coming out of the speakers.

I am trying to debug it and have reported to SMSL as well.

Lets see.

Thanks,
Simar

What I think you are reaching the maximum power of the amp.

What is the impedance of your speakers as well as the efficiency?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hmm, I wonder how they can claim THD+N: 0.005% with measurements like this (from Amazon):

f293bf18-6b61-486d-9899-0b58fb01fc7f.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Zek

Major Contributor
Does anyone know which DAC chip is on the USB port and what is the maximum sample rate.

Trokox

I have this amp and it has a problem with the on / off knob. In my case it lasted a couple of days and since then I have to remove the power cable to turn it off

OP
D

dealpapa

I have this amp and it has a problem with the on / off knob. In my case it lasted a couple of days and since then I have to remove the power cable to turn it off
this is known issue. there is another complaint on amazon and I also have this problem

now my a12 is keep on.

OP
D

dealpapa

I hope somebody can have a review to compare this with sa300

How does this compare to the SA300?

Answer:
A12 and SA300 use the same circuit design, the same power amplifier chip, sound effects and power are comparable, but A12 has no remote control, display and active subwoofer output. The A12 has a strong sense of manual operation, and it also supports U disk playback, a different experience, and a more favorable price.
By FUANG Tech SELLER on July 23, 2021

xpop

I had the SMSL SA300 few month ago (same chip MA12070).
At no time can you compare it to the TPA3255, they are two totally different chips. The MA12070 will send you a max 30w 8ohms, it is also possible to make it work without output filter.
A MA12070P (note the P) based product is very interesting because it has a 2IS digital input allowing a full digital connection with a 2IS DAC, unfortunately that's not the case of Infineon based Smsl products.

Top Bottom