• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

Cothealiv

Hey, new here. Got my D5 yesterday and it's v1.4 firmware. Updated the USB firmware to 4.67 from Sabaj's website. USB is working perfectly. I'm having weird issues when it's connected to my TV via toslink cable. Every couple of minutes I'll get a less than 1 second sound cut out that's kinda annoying, but I don't hear any distortion or otherwise broken sounding audio. I've been trying to troubleshoot, rebooted the TV, updated the TV, set all the audio out settings to PCM, made sure the Sabaj and TV weren't plugged into the same outlet power strip, pretty much all the usual troubleshooting stuff. The TV was working fine with the same cable connected to my old Schiit Bifrost for the record. Just wondering if anyone has had these kinds of issues, or if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the cause, or what kind of fix I could try next. Would updating the firmware be the first step?

Malis

If you are using the optical cable then the USB firmware version should not affect the toslink connection. Have you tried to update the software version to 1.6v2 on the sabaj itself?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hey, new here. Got my D5 yesterday and it's v1.4 firmware. Updated the USB firmware to 4.67 from Sabaj's website. USB is working perfectly. I'm having weird issues when it's connected to my TV via toslink cable. Every couple of minutes I'll get a less than 1 second sound cut out that's kinda annoying, but I don't hear any distortion or otherwise broken sounding audio. I've been trying to troubleshoot, rebooted the TV, updated the TV, set all the audio out settings to PCM, made sure the Sabaj and TV weren't plugged into the same outlet power strip, pretty much all the usual troubleshooting stuff. The TV was working fine with the same cable connected to my old Schiit Bifrost for the record. Just wondering if anyone has had these kinds of issues, or if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the cause, or what kind of fix I could try next. Would updating the firmware be the first step?

As a heads up: @Malis has a great video on how to upgrade the firmware for the D5:

Cothealiv

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to order an upgrade tool to upgrade to 1.6v2, which is why I wanted to ask if that might fix anything before I ordered it. I watched the video @Malis uploaded when I was trolling through the forum before I asked anything lol. It's really good. Looks like I'll be flashing the firmware to see if that helps.

DACslut

I've updated my D5's firmware to v1.6x and wondered if I still need to update it to the v1.4 USB anti-interference firmware? Thanks!

Mr. Olinad

I've updated my D5's firmware to v1.6x and wondered if I still need to update it to the v1.4 USB anti-interference firmware? Thanks!
I think so.
Things are a bit confusing unfortunately.
My D5 is also updated to 1.6v2 and I'm using the USB anti-interference "firmware".
1628804786671.png

1628804806388.png

When I need to install the Windows 10 drivers, I go to http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=79
1628805033703.png

First I install the "D5 Drive" and then the "D5 USB anti-interference" following the "Instrutions.txt" (yes, this is the file name lol).

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I never had a problem with my D5, not even when I had the problematic version 1.2 IIRC.

DACslut

I think so.
Things are a bit confusing unfortunately.
My D5 is also updated to 1.6v2 and I'm using the USB anti-interference "firmware".
View attachment 147218
View attachment 147219

When I need to install the Windows 10 drivers, I go to http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=79
View attachment 147220
First I install the "D5 Drive" and then the "D5 USB anti-interference" following the "Instrutions.txt" (yes, this is the file name lol).

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I never had a problem with my D5, not even when I had the problematic version 1.2 IIRC.

Thanks Bro. ;)

Cothealiv

Figured out what my issue was. There was a wireless headset connected to a Playstation 5 and I was getting interference from it. Unplugged the wireless dongle and it fixed my issue lol. Should have known, just overlooked it. Already ordered my ugrade tool, so I'm going to be doing that as soon as I get it in.

DACslut

Is anyone using a dedicated BT 5.x receiver with their D5? If so, please offer your recommendations. Is a BT LDAC preferable and should the receiver have both Toslink and Coaxial outputs? My budget is up to $200. Thanks and this thread has been a godsend for me!

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is anyone using a dedicated BT 5.x receiver with their D5? If so please offer your recommendations. Is a BT LDAC preferable and should the receiver have both Toslink and Coaxial outputs? My budget is up to $200. Thanks and this thread has been a godsend for me!

I use this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38071

It's Bluetooth v5.0. Works fine. (I only use it as a receiver for my Sabaj D5, not as a transmitter.) Doesn't have LDAC or a coax output, but it has all of the Bluetooth codecs I use and I just connect it via SPDIF. Well inside your budget as it's only ~$30 US.

Although not listed in the specs if you look through the questions you'll see a Monoprice staff member say that the range is ~30 feet.

DACslut

I use this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38071

It's Bluetooth v5.0. Works fine. (I only use it as a receiver for my Sabaj D5, not as a transmitter.) Doesn't have LDAC or a coax output, but it has all of the Bluetooth codecs I use and I just connect it via SPDIF. Well inside your budget as it's only ~$30 US.

Although not listed in the specs if you look through the questions you'll see a Monoprice staff member say that the range is ~30 feet.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that one in mind. I especially like the 5V USB power jack because I have several power banks that could be used with it, thereby saving me from having to use an AC/DC converter.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Amir reviewed the LDAC portion of the iFi Zen Blue. It does well ...

Conclusions
The ifi Zen Blue is an excellent digital transport when used with LDAC codec and Toslink/Coax output. You can pair this up with a DAC and get any level of end to end performance you need. The internal DAC is not that good though. Like to see that improve by at least 15 dB to give us CD rate of 96 dB.

But seems like a lot to pay because it's a Bluetooth receiver plus a DAC. With the Sabaj D5 you already have a DAC so you're paying extra for redundant functionality.

Nooby1411

I currently own a Sabaj D5, but i am contemplating on selling it for a JDS Labs/Topping stack as I can't fully utilise the balanced xlr connector and with the other jack the power is a bit low. Does anybody has a JDS Labs/Topping stack that can tell me their experience with both?

Mr. Olinad

I currently own a Sabaj D5, but i am contemplating on selling it for a JDS Labs/Topping stack as I can't fully utilise the balanced xlr connector and with the other jack the power is a bit low. Does anybody has a JDS Labs/Topping stack that can tell me their experience with both?
I have the JDS Atom + Topping D50 and I think it's a better solution if you're going SE only. It's been a while since I last used the D5 as a headphone amp but I remember that it really lacks some power and I won't remember exactly why but I tought that the Atom+D50 stack sounded better, even more with IEMs.
I bought the D5 to use only as a DAC paired with the 789 in balanced mode and it's hard for me to say the difference between these two stacks. The only clear situation is with the HE500 that has a better bass definition in the balanced stack.
The JDS Labs amps are really good and you have a lot of DACs to choose in the market. Maybe the better for you is to buy the amp and use it connected to your D5 SE output, just to feel how D5 as a DAC and JDS as an amp sound. This will probably be the same sound you'll hear no matter the Topping DAC you choose.

Nooby1411

I have the JDS Atom + Topping D50 and I think it's a better solution if you're going SE only. It's been a while since I last used the D5 as a headphone amp but I remember that it really lacks some power and I won't remember exactly why but I tought that the Atom+D50 stack sounded better, even more with IEMs.
I bought the D5 to use only as a DAC paired with the 789 in balanced mode and it's hard for me to say the difference between these two stacks. The only clear situation is with the HE500 that has a better bass definition in the balanced stack.
The JDS Labs amps are really good and you have a lot of DACs to choose in the market. Maybe the better for you is to buy the amp and use it connected to your D5 SE output, just to feel how D5 as a DAC and JDS as an amp sound. This will probably be the same sound you'll hear no matter the Topping DAC you choose.
Ah alright, I don't have the money to buy an amp as i have spend my whole budget on the D5, so i will probably sell my D5 then and get a individual dac and amp.

officialsm

User manual Is not so useful.
Anyone could explain me DIMMER menu level and home set It?

About filtets which do you suggest to use?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
About filters which do you suggest to use?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try them and use the one you think sounds best. (Assuming you can hear a difference between them; I'm not sure I can.)

From a technical perspective I believe Amir would state that the Apodizing filter is the most "correct". Take a look at when he reviewed the Topping EX5, and how he lists the #2 filter as the correct one. You'll see the same type of commentary in most of Amir's DAC reviews where there are selectable reconstruction filters, either pointing out that the DAC has a "correct" filter or that it only has slow rolloff filters.

officialsm

Do you use stock power cord or custom?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Do you use stock power cord or custom?

I can't imagine any reason to spend the money on a custom power cord. Take a look at Amir's measurements where he's using the stock power cord, for example USB in/ XLR out:

1631711607684.png

"As expected, some mains interference is running around although once again, their levels are extremely low at -130 dB. "

At this level of performance with the stock power cord what perceived problem would you be trying to solve by buying a custom power cord?

Top Bottom