• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do inexpensive amplifiers age badly over years?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see electrolytic caps being used. The worst being in car stereo equipment.
It was not a problem because everything was replaceable, blowing a power supply/amp was not uncommon and a parts bin was beside the workbench for both in & out of warranty service. Now maybe not so much. Car gear was expensive and designed to be rebuilt with class AB and low freq PWM power supplies. Now with class D I suspect they operate at higher freq and toss the bad ones in the garbage and replace them in warranty.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
This thread is wrong on so many levels... :facepalm:

A much better title would be something along the lines of capacitor type, country of production and longevity.

JSmith
I have revised the title of this thread. It had borderline racist overtones. Racist comments will be immediately deleted and poster will be Warned.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do inexpensive amplifiers age badly over years?
I don't usually buy "cheap junk" but it's a bummer when an expensive piece of equipment is not worth repairing or is unrepairable... So, I try to avoid "overpriced" stuff too.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't usually buy "cheap junk" but it's a bummer when an expensive piece of equipment is not worth repairing or is unrepairable... So, I try to avoid "overpriced" stuff too.
And the problem with mid-priced stuff is that the repair cost is almost as much as the replacement cost, so best to avoid as well.

jasonhanjk

It's an evaluation module, not a commercial design.

Electrolytic filter capacitors should be placed as close to the high current switching devices as you can concievable get them. Any excess length of PCB track or wire will result in increased inductance and resistance- neither of which is helpful.

The Aiyima desin is fine, as long as their is adequate free air flow (I don't think there is) and a low heatsink temperature in normal operation.

Ceramic cap should be place the closest to the supply pin, that's where they will help for the high frequency. Electrolytic cap will help when there's need for high current, required for the woofer or subwoofer; during low frequency. Ceramic cap have the lowest ESR, electrolytic have the highest.

Electrolytic cap should have minimum 1cm distance from the heatsink. That's the way to design a product to last long.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

It seems there are artificial intelligence chat bots that pretend to be humans on this forum. Once you start looking for bots, you are going to notice them.

Many services are being overrun by bots. Especially, youtube and reddit and telegram.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It seems there are artificial intelligence chat bots that pretend to be humans on this forum. Once you start looking for bots, you are going to notice them.

Many services are being overrun by bots. Especially, youtube and reddit and telegram.
BUSTED! Take me to your leader......:oops:

Top Bottom