• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accurate and boring or colored and fun

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Get the gear that is as accurate as you could desire or afford, then color/distort it to your hearts content afterwards. You can always distort technically perfect gear but you can't do the reverse. This applies to things such as headphones, speakers, monitors/televisions, microphones, camera lenses, etc.

You have a point there :)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Regarding amplifiers. About the world's best-selling amplifier, it has been said that it had a slightly elevated base. In the thread, it has now been pointed out that an increase in the base area can be experienced as something positive. Could that be why that amplifier was (is?) so appreciated and liked?

Soft Clipping was also an advantage plus the amplifier's good ability (for that time ) to manage quite tough loads.

There has been talk in the thread about a sufficiently high signal to noise ratio. So, for this little amplifier:
75dB (MM), 110dB (line)

110 dB (line) should be enough, right? But then this with how much power is needed (I know very well that it is a combination of speakers, listening room and the type of music you play that should be weighed together with the amplifier's effect).

If you have not figured out which amplifier it is, check out the picture of my little racer. It was bought this summer because I was so damn curious of that classic :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_190040.jpg
    IMG_20210913_190040.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 95
  • shot_2021-09-13_18-59-35.png
    shot_2021-09-13_18-59-35.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The problem with the purist it has to be neutral approach is that it ignores one very important factor - we are all different. Your neutral is my shrill (it was in my case for many years), my dynamic is your brash - balancing this out with equipment that is not neutral is just as valid an approach as using DSP in a neutral system. The colour settings on a TV example - defective colour vison in men is very common, why should someone watch a TV with a colour balance that looks wrong to them simply because it is correct?

No reason to do so. But if he asks, what do you think about? You say for 99,999... percent of population its wrong.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That little NAD 3020 was a giant slayer. Thing had no right to sound that good, for only $175, Martha!
Without a doubt I will keep the little racer. :) Maybe not in the main system but listening to it I will do.

It's damn fun to play with, you just want to play song after song.And why not, it should be fun with hifi and listening to music.

By the way, I think Amir should test one. I think there are more people who are interested in the results of such a test. Interest and curiosity perhaps for nostalgic reasons? A reason as good as anything else. I think :)

Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally I prefer more neutral presentation due to different genres I listen: more or less everything, from ECM jazz to blackened deathcore.
Something "universally bent" is not possible in such case, i think.
Unless your genres are limited to some narrow list with common sound signature, i'd take something decently flat with low distortion. After that EQ can be applied according to your taste if needed.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My little 'turntable set-up bench' from 1982 until 1998 and probably beyond, had a NAD 3020A which took all manner of punishment for many years and cost was around a hundred quid for years until it began to creep up. The slight 'warmth' was balanced with a pair of Boston A40's which may have been popular in the US (we sold a good few) but HiFi Choice was snooty about them, dismissing the phono stage (especially the MC part), yet I found it excellent. Early ones could be unreliable in early years but they improved the rats nest inside a little I gather and they were fine after that (the UK-spec 7020 receiver was great too but inclined to blow mains transformers in our locale for some reason).

bravomail

I'm thinking about what type of solution I should get. Thank you for the tips and advice I received in the thread, even though I can not really, yet, concretize what I am looking for.
My studio monitors are straight, flat and piss off dull but damn accurate!
At home I want to cuddle with a little voodoo-flum and cuddly sound "

It is subjective topic. Some prefer A, others B. In my car, after lot of testing I prefer flat EQ, least objectionable and tiresome in long drives. At home, for phone FLAC files - I prefer Audiotechnica M40x headphones, though they r V-shaped. For speakers - the same, I prefer V-shape.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also Mr. Hooper, may I ask a question? I'm a huge consumer here in the second golden age of screen entertainment. I have noticed a huge difference in dialogue comprehension between listening to content through ear buds I have a pair of B&O's that I particularly like for movies and TV) and the TV. I know that's not a shocking observation but my question is, what is the ideal delivery you mix for? Is it for OEM TV speakers, Center channel or home theater set ups or ???

Ideally a home theater set up, with at least relatively flat frequency response. That's how you are likely to hear most of the work put in to the mix :)
Headphones too as an alternative - though you lose the surround mix - you are likely to hear some of the detail in the mix and hear dialogue clearly (depending on the mix/headphones of course).

When doing, say, a 5.1 mix for a TV series or TV movie, the mix would be done first for the best 5.1 sound, but then checked on what was often called "the cans" which are a small set of speakers that mimicked the limitations of older TVs. Anything significant that was lost or sounded wrong would be nudged to sound ok on the smaller speakers too. This is still done in the mixing theaters, surround mix and checked against smaller frequency limited/stereo speakers.

As for dialogue intelligibility, the main problem people are having today aren't so much with "bad" mixes (though of course that can be a factor) as the increased dynamic range found in modern movie mixes. The action scene sound effects can be so much louder that when some people turn those down to comfort levels, dialogue levels go below an easily discernible threshold. This is why some people prefer adding dynamic compression schemes, often found in Audio Video Receivers and the like (and also streaming services often offer the feature), to squash some of the dynamic range so they aren't riding the volume button all the time watching a movie.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for taking the time to write so much and I must say very interesting and insightful. These were experiences that I appreciated as part of.

Thanks for listening :)

When you still seem to have the steam simmering and are in the process of writing, I can take the opportunity to ask. If you look back on your career, what changes have taken place for the better or for the worse?

Ha! Probably due to the schedule I'm on now my mind turns simply to "Crazier Schedules, more work, less help, less pay." But then, much of the world has experienced a similar trajectory.

Changes for the better: Easy, the switch to digital from the old analog days. Having started in the 80's while the process was still on tape and film, I have no love lost for dealing with tape and even film. It was an incredible amount of hassle relative to working in digital.

This may have been discussed on the forum earlier. As for tube amplifiers, I have been told that they produce a more pleasant distortion for the ears, based on even harmonics. If I remember correctly. Maybe that's right? In that case, it should probably be the reason why you can listen to tube amplifiers with pleasure despite their, on paper, relatively high levels of distortion. Do not know if I'm right out now?

On the other hand, an amplifier that only produces inaudible distortion should be preferable because even if a tube amplifier produces audible "pleasant" distortion, it is still distortion that colors the sound.

I've followed the debates on tube amps for many years and not being an electrical engineer I'm not qualified to determine the answer.
But from what I've seen the answer to why tube amplification can be preferred by some is far from easy or established. First there's the problem of whether in any particular case, someone is actually able to hear a difference, that is if the distortion is audible, or if he is imagining it.
Then if it's granted that audible distortion is occurring, it's still vexing. The usual folk lore is that tube amplifiers distort in a pleasant way, both in clipping behavior and in the harmonics added in the distortion "primarily pleasant sounding 2nd order harmonics that can slightly thicken and brighten the sound." The problem there is that this may indeed explain *some* tube amplifier distortions, e.g. some single ended triode designs that people use to run high efficiency speakers. However plenty of tube amps, e.g. push-pull designs, seem to produce some odd order distortions just as solid state is *purported* to produce as well (though very low level). So it starts to become a head-scratcher - at least to laymen like me trying to follow the debates - as to what exactly if anything is causing the "pleasant" distortions when they occur. Some lay the blame on the tube amp output transformers. I dunno.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I prefer more neutral presentation due to different genres I listen: more or less everything, from ECM jazz to blackened deathcore.
Something "universally bent" is not possible in such case, i think.
Unless your genres are limited to some narrow list with common sound signature, i'd take something decently flat with low distortion. After that EQ can be applied according to your taste if needed.

That's an understandable approach.

The effect of any added coloration will of course still depend on the individual listener's preference.

For instance, in my case I listen to a ridiculously wide range of music (not atypical for audiophiles, really). Classical, Soundtracks, Electronica of many types and EDM, R&B, Rock, Prog Rock, Fusion, Funk, Disco, Pop, Jazz, Folk, World Music, Library Music (which apes virtually every type of music), Lounge/Bachelor Pad/Exotica and on and on.

And I find I prefer the tube amps on all of it. :)

(And it would depend on the tube amp/speaker combo. For instance I've had smaller tube amps that started to run out of steam, or didn't quite control the bass in some music to the extent I'd like. But since long ago moving to the 'relatively powerful' 140W tube monoblocks I've had no qualms at all. All genres sound well served - having recently done a shoot out with a Bryston 4B3 in my system, the tubes left me wanting nothing for the subjective impression of power and dynamics).

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think the goal of the subjectivist is usually "what sounds the most natural", with the ears being the primary yardstick.

I think the goal of the objectivist is usually "what sounds the most natural", with measurements being the primary yardstick.

Sometimes those two yardsticks overlap. For example, here are three listener-generated steady-state in-room response curves which are arguably not "accurate" in the most absolute sense, but were "preferred" under controlled blind conditions:

Subjectively-preferred-steady-state-room-curve-targets-in-a-typical-domestic-listening.png

But from what I've seen the answer to why tube amplification can be preferred by some is far from easy or established...

Not that I'd claim the following to be either "easy" or "established", but someone who has been designing amps for over forty years explained it to me this way:

It is the high-order distortion which is objectionable way out of proportion to what we would expect from the THD numbers alone. Both tube amps and solid-state amps generally have high-order distortion, but the difference is that tube amps have vastly more second and/or third order distortion, both of which are subjectively benign.

What happens is, the relatively high levels of second and/or third order harmonics in tube amps tend to MASK the presence of those objectionable higher-order harmonics. So despite the THD spec looking far worse on a tube amp, the objectional high-order distortion that it does produce is not detected by the ears. In contrast, the high-order distortion in a solid-state amp is typically not masked.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
@MattHooper The term "High Fidelity" was as I understand it, coined in advertising for acoustic gramophones in the 1920s, when the first electric models appeared. It was a marketing term used by the lower fidelity alternative, trying to stave off the inevitable.
Pretty much ever since, it's been used to mean whatever the marketer concerned has meant it to mean. Or, in other words... "but how high?"

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for listening :)

Ha! Probably due to the schedule I'm on now my mind turns simply to "Crazier Schedules, more work, less help, less pay." But then, much of the world has experienced a similar trajectory.

Changes for the better: Easy, the switch to digital from the old analog days. Having started in the 80's while the process was still on tape and film, I have no love lost for dealing with tape and even film. It was an incredible amount of hassle relative to working in digital.

I've followed the debates on tube amps for many years and not being an electrical engineer I'm not qualified to determine the answer.
But from what I've seen the answer to why tube amplification can be preferred by some is far from easy or established. First there's the problem of whether in any particular case, someone is actually able to hear a difference, that is if the distortion is audible, or if he is imagining it.
Then if it's granted that audible distortion is occurring, it's still vexing. The usual folk lore is that tube amplifiers distort in a pleasant way, both in clipping behavior and in the harmonics added in the distortion "primarily pleasant sounding 2nd order harmonics that can slightly thicken and brighten the sound." The problem there is that this may indeed explain *some* tube amplifier distortions, e.g. some single ended triode designs that people use to run high efficiency speakers. However plenty of tube amps, e.g. push-pull designs, seem to produce some odd order distortions just as solid state is *purported* to produce as well (though very low level). So it starts to become a head-scratcher - at least to laymen like me trying to follow the debates - as to what exactly if anything is causing the "pleasant" distortions when they occur. Some lay the blame on the tube amp output transformers. I dunno.

I have heard the same explanation regarding tube amplifiers. Then it's as usual. There are good and poorly constructed.

It was not a wild guess that you would mention the development of the digital.
This is probably the largest development in general, which has taken place in recent decades.

IT, data, internet, the digital can qualify in the top ten of the human, through the ages, greatest inventions, I think ...... even five greatest?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I think the goal of the subjectivist is usually "what sounds the most natural", with the ears being the primary yardstick.

I think the goal of the objectivist is usually "what sounds the most natural", with measurements being the primary yardstick.

Sometimes those two yardsticks overlap. For example, here are three listener-generated steady-state in-room response curves which are arguably not "accurate" in the most absolute sense, but were "preferred" under controlled blind conditions:

View attachment 153173

Not that I'd claim the following to be either "easy" or "established", but someone who has been designing amps for over forty years explained it to me this way:

It is the high-order distortion which is objectionable way out of proportion to what we would expect from the THD numbers alone. Both tube amps and solid-state amps generally have high-order distortion, but the difference is that tube amps have vastly more second and/or third order distortion, both of which are subjectively benign.

What happens is, the relatively high levels of second and/or third order harmonics in tube amps tend to MASK the presence of those objectionable higher-order harmonics. So despite the THD spec looking far worse on a tube amp, the objectional high-order distortion that it does produce is not detected by the ears. In contrast, the high-order distortion in a solid-state amp is typically not masked.

What you should mask at 0,000x% thd?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I would get bored with the same color every day! :p
Me too. A permanent for example boost of the base, is not something I'm interested in.On the other hand everynow and then for some song EQ. I usually do that.

Tone controls, EQ, can make sense to use if you have a party for example. Rock music thumps on. Full of party people. The sound should be heard by everyone who is in different places in the listening room. Then it may make sense to EQ. Compare that to "fine" listening when you listen yourself placed in sweetspot.

Edit:
When I think about it. If you are going to turn your listening room into a disco, fill the room with dancing people, then maybe you should think of a completely different solution than the one you have for everyday life? That could be the topic for a new thread here at ASR.:)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The tube amp discussion, its boring.

To avoid it i take the subjective point of view. We are all subjects and what we hear is influenced by a lot of things. Even the glow of tubes can influence what you hear. Thats why abx not works in that area.
People love there tube amps couse they have some magic that SS not have.
Thats ok for me. As a technical person class d has some magic for me. What is good for me, couse they are much more economic.

Last edited:

escksu

I'm thinking about what type of solution I should get. Thank you for the tips and advice I received in the thread, even though I can not really, yet, concretize what I am looking for.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...he-buck-combination-amplifier-speakers.26465/

What about nowadays with the old (prejudice?) That exact speakers, those with a straight frequency curve, low distortion are dull to listen to? Thinking of studio monitors in the first place. Why would they be dull? Isn't a colorless sound the best, in the long run, if you do not want to get tired of listening? I myself have never heard any well-constructed monitors so I can not comment.

Here is what a sound engineer I have had some contact with said:

I have worked in the studio and as a sound engineer all my life

My studio monitors are straight, flat and piss off dull but damn accurate!
At home I want to cuddle with a little voodoo-flum and cuddly sound "

He likes old tube amps and vintage speakers, among other things.

I can understand him per se. He wants a different sound in his spare time. But for the rest of us who are not professional sound technicians. When we get home after work . We have not at our job listened to and analyzed music all day, so maybe that is exactly the preference? Curious about your attitude and your sound ideals.

Edit.
Isn't it easier to have a solution that does not color the sound and when, if you want a colored sound, you plug in an EQ?
I suspect that a colored sound may at first seem attractive (for example, an elevated "disco" bass) but that you get tired of it in the long run.

Accurate need not be boring. Neither is coloured really fun. ITs all up to individual preference, gear and even occassion, type of music and recording.

The trouble is that sometimes, accurate may not be what a person likes. One most common example is sound that is too bright for some. Trumpet, singer's "SSS" etc... if its too bright, it becomes irritating. So, you might want to roll off the treble a bit.

Then its also limited by the gear you have, esp. speakers. If your gear can't do it, EQ can't do anything. Things like speaker limitation, amp power limitation and even budget. The KEF R1 is a great speaker. Can you afford it? This is what I meant by budget limitation.

Top Bottom