• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

HARMAN

"This is not a problem that can be solved by updating the remote control, because the machine is not designed for soft shutdown. A soft shutdown is not a true shutdown. If the machine is not turned off, the circuit board will always be in working condition, which will affect the service life of the machine. This is why the soft shutdown is not designed."

You are correct this is what the company saying,

RHO

Major Contributor
"This is not a problem that can be solved by updating the remote control, because the machine is not designed for soft shutdown. A soft shutdown is not a true shutdown. If the machine is not turned off, the circuit board will always be in working condition, which will affect the service life of the machine. This is why the soft shutdown is not designed."

You are correct this is what the company saying,
The switch at the back is to disconnect the power-inlet from the internals of the device. You can just turn it off at the front, no?

RHO

Major Contributor

HARMAN

if i need to conect gustard to mini pc or Raspberry Pi 4 ,in my living room
its beeter via usb or AES ....
And what do you offer me to choose
thanks shay

Reynaldo

Here I use this electrical outlet to turn the Gustard X16 on and off by cell phone.

tomada-smart-home-nova-digital-automacao-residencial-10a-comp-distribuidora-1_3.jpg

Fluty

This X16 is so good that my CDs played through it now sound far better than SACDs through my Denon player (SACDs not being recognised by the X16). I've enquired here before and @gustard has said that X16 cannot play SACD. However a couple of members here have indicated that they do play SACD and I wonder if they could please explain how they do so? eg Post #2,107
Thanks in advance......

RHO

Major Contributor
This X16 is so good that my CDs played through it now sound far better than SACDs through my Denon player (SACDs not being recognised by the X16). I've enquired here before and @gustard has said that X16 cannot play SACD. However a couple of members here have indicated that they do play SACD and I wonder if they could please explain how they do so? eg Post #2,107
Thanks in advance......
Your CD player does not put out SACD over the SPDIF/optical digital out. Almost none do. SACD is generally only available over HDMI or analog.
If you play SACD (from your PC or phone) over USB, the X16 should be able to play it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks in advance......

Probably as iso rips through a streamer/computer.
SACD copy protection will not allow digital output of SACD.

Reynaldo

Your CD player does not put out SACD over the SPDIF/optical digital out. Almost none do. SACD is generally only available over HDMI or analog.
If you play SACD (from your PC or phone) over USB, the X16 should be able to play it.
Here I use a Mac mini + Audirvana v3.6 and SACD ISO for X16 USB.
Excellent quality

linger63

Thanks in advance......

X16 can handle DSD from an SACD through its i2S input.
Will also take DSD from an SACD through its S/PDIF inputs.
You just need the right kind of source............E.G an OPPO's HDMI out to a de embedder.
If your Denon outputs DSD via HDMI then you are in business.

There are cheap de embedders that convert DSD via HDMI into i2s.
There are also cheap de embedders that convert DSD via HDMI into DoP for use with S/PDIF outputs
(and an expensive one........Geerfab D.B.O.B.)

I have used both cheap types to play SACD's from an OPPO 205 to several external DAC's.

See here...........https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-physical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac-r971/

and here...........https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...sical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac/#comments

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are so close as to not be worth talking about. If you have SU-9, just keep it.

As for 3-D sounding, DACs can't impact that. Pretend that it is more 3-D and listen more carefully and it will sound more 3-D! The effect will wear off later though...
Best comment ever...that last part!

Fluty

X16 can handle DSD from an SACD through its i2S input.
Will also take DSD from an SACD through its S/PDIF inputs.
You just need the right kind of source............E.G an OPPO's HDMI out to a de embedder.
If your Denon outputs DSD via HDMI then you are in business.

There are cheap de embedders that convert DSD via HDMI into i2s.
There are also cheap de embedders that convert DSD via HDMI into DoP for use with S/PDIF outputs
(and an expensive one........Geerfab D.B.O.B.)

I have used both cheap types to play SACD's from an OPPO 205 to several external DAC's.

See here...........https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-physical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac-r971/

and here...........https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...sical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac/#comments
Thank you for these links, but alas, my SACD player only has coax and optical outputs, no hdmi. Like you, I have an extensive collection of sacds which until the advent of the new generation of dacs were the best sounding format.

KITR

Hi guys,
I have bought Gustard X16 and I have a problem with recording in Windows, I don't use Mac, so I'm not sure if it works there or not. I want to record something that's using either coax or optical input, preferably with audacity. However, I can't get it working for some reason. When the DAC is using USB as input, the audacity can record anything that comes out the the DAC with no problem, but when I switch to coax or optical input, it doesn't work at all. I tried everything (at least I reckon so), but I can't get the audacity to record the bloody sound. Is it some kind of restriction on the Gustard's side or the Windows side or I'm doing something wrong?

Cheers.

Kronk

Hello!

Been eyeing this dac for my Samsung TV (with external box) with optical out. But I've been reading about some people reporting "pauses" in the audio. They didn't mention what they were using the dac for so I wouldnt know if they are using it the same way as I would.

Anyone know if it might happen when using it like I would?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello!

Been eyeing this dac for my Samsung TV (with external box) with optical out. But I've been reading about some people reporting "pauses" in the audio. They didn't mention what they were using the dac for so I wouldnt know if they are using it the same way as I would.

Anyone know if it might happen when using it like I would?

Your TV will be limited to 16bit 48khz if you use the optical out.

Top Bottom