• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Shanman

Forum Donor
I suppose I will try some different cables. Currently testing back and forth between the Ghent/Buckeye 502 and a Monoprice Monolith X3, and swapping cables with the Ghent case is much more firm than I care for.

Update- I purchased some of the "Worlds Best Cables" per the member recommendation off Amazon. Perfect, easy fit!! The Monoprice cables will go back.
20210910_205134.jpg

Jbrunwa

Just received and installed 2 Buckeye 6-channel NC502MP amps. They look and sound great and the care taken to build and ship is fantastic. I am driving them with an XMC-2 and using the trigger cables. They are replacing a very good B&K Reference 200.5 amp. Subjectively, I can hear improved transients from the extra headroom of the Hypex amps, and they run a lot cooler. Awaiting a cooling fan to sit on top just in case. Only mod is black electrical tape to dim the power LEDs. I consider Buckeye the best value. Thanks Dylan!

1EDEE3A4-4D88-4522-9DF6-6F215DC7FD30.jpeg

amper42

Major Contributor
Just received and installed 2 Buckeye 6-channel NC502MP amps. They look and sound great and the care taken to build and ship is fantastic. I am driving them with an XMC-2 and using the trigger cables. They are replacing a very good B&K Reference 200.5 amp. Subjectively, I can hear improved transients from the extra headroom of the Hypex amps, and they run a lot cooler. Awaiting a cooling fan to sit on top just in case. Only mod is black electrical tape to dim the power LEDs. I consider Buckeye the best value. Thanks Dylan!

View attachment 153135

Love those Revel F328BE in your room. NC502MP offers plenty of kick!

Jbrunwa

Love those Revel F328BE in your room. NC502MP offers plenty of kick!
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I ordered the amps with the Speakon connection option. I didn't realize that the Speakon plugs will take a max 12 AWG wire (maybe a little larger if you solder them, but it didn't look very easy to solder without possibly melting the surrounding plastic) and I had previously made myself nice Canare 4s11 cables with doubled up 11 AWG wires, and my center channel had 10 AWG. So I substituted some old Monster 12 AWG cable for now that I had luckily saved. I guess I could solder some 12 AWG to the cable ends to mate the larger cables with Speakon.

Shanman

Forum Donor
Alright, somebody school the thread on Speakon connectors. Are these type of connectors able to also take XLR and 1/4" jack?

sneffets

Forum Donor
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I ordered the amps with the Speakon connection option. I didn't realize that the Speakon plugs will take a max 12 AWG wire (maybe a little larger if you solder them, but it didn't look very easy to solder without possibly melting the surrounding plastic) and I had previously made myself nice Canare 4s11 cables with doubled up 11 AWG wires, and my center channel had 10 AWG. So I substituted some old Monster 12 AWG cable for now that I had luckily saved. I guess I could solder some 12 AWG to the cable ends to mate the larger cables with Speakon.

Wow kind of shocking, I would have thought it would have been a bit larger, at least 10AWG, but you are certainly correct - https://www.neutrik.us/en-us/product/nl2fx

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Alright, somebody school the thread on Speakon connectors. Are these type of connectors able to also take XLR and 1/4" jack?
There's a Neutrik connector that accepts both XLR and 1/4" jack for signal input.

As for SpeakON, I'd have to look through the catalog to double check if they have a similar combo type

Jbrunwa

There's a Neutrik connector that accepts both XLR and 1/4" jack for signal input.

As for SpeakON, I'd have to look through the catalog to double check if they have a similar combo type
They were designed to connect amps to speakers and so you wouldn’t mistake them for line level signal cables, but maybe there are other uses. I like the twist lock click that confirms they are secure.

https://stampsound.com/what-is-a-speakon-connector-cable/

thefsb

No.

SpeakON is a special type of plug and socket only used for connecting loudspeakers to amps. Used pro audio, like in PA systems.

There are sockets connectors that accept either the familiar 1/4" plug or XLR plug for mic, instrument and line signal signals.

I don't think speakON has any particular advantage in home apps.

Last edited:

thefsb

View attachment 153135
Oh my! I'm sorry you broke your TV panel during the install. The cracks show real bad. :p

Jbrunwa

No.

SpeakON is a special type of plug and socket only used for connecting loudspeakers to amps. Used pro audio, like in PA systems.

There are sockets connectors that accept either the familiar 1/4" plug or XLR plug for mic, instrument and line signal signals.

I don't think speakON has any particular advantage in home apps.
The attraction for me was that I don’t have great visibility behind my equipment rack and the amps are on the bottom and hard to reach in the back. The Speakons are one connector per speaker vs banana plugs.

Shanman

Forum Donor

Ah, so I wasn't crazy that there was a connector that took multiple types. I was confusing Speakon with the Neutrik that takes the XLR and 1/4".

Jdunk54nl

Another shout out to Buckeye Amps on one of Youthman's Home Theatre Tours:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

I’ve used paralelled 14AWG wire (various CI brands as well as Canare 4S11) in Speakon jacks, including ferrules. You can get more room if you remove the little clamp inside (just take out the screw and pull it out). If you use ferrules I doubt there’s a difference in resistance.

IIRC the two piece cheaper one may have a slightly larger conductor terminal. I prefer the 3 piece because I color code using Neutrik’s replacement bushings. But if that’s not an issue probably use the 2 piece ones.

Jbrunwa

I’ve used paralelled 14AWG wire (various CI brands as well as Canare 4S11) in Speakon jacks, including ferrules. You can get more room if you remove the little clamp inside (just take out the screw and pull it out). If you use ferrules I doubt there’s a difference in resistance.

IIRC the two piece cheaper one may have a slightly larger conductor terminal. I prefer the 3 piece because I color code using Neutrik’s replacement bushings. But if that’s not an issue probably use the 2 piece ones.
Thanks for sharing this. I’ll try a ferrule on the 4s11 and remove the clamp and turn the screw into the ferrule. I can check the connection with a milliohm meter.

Last edited:

thefsb

The attraction for me was that I don’t have great visibility behind my equipment rack and the amps are on the bottom and hard to reach in the back. The Speakons are one connector per speaker vs banana plugs.
Ah, I know well the method doing it by feel poking an arm to the rear of equipment. SpeakON would make that a bit easier.

Did you make your own cables or buy finished interconnects?

Jbrunwa

Ah, I know well the method doing it by feel poking an arm to the rear of equipment. SpeakON would make that a bit easier.

Did you make your own cables or buy finished interconnects?
I bought finished XLR cables to go from prepro to amps, but bought bulk speaker wire and made my own cables from amps to soeakers.

Top Bottom