• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intermodulation distortion hump on Topping (and others)?

raband

Hey guys,

Bit of a query from a newbie here on the graphs.

In the intermodulation distortion graphs the Topping and others (same chip?) have the hump in the middle of the readings.

To my uninformed eyes that would look pretty bad - and, (am probably wrong here) being in the mid-levels of the graph, likely to be in the main area of the signal/music?

Is it irrelevant because both channels keep even, because it doesn't really matter, or is it something that can be seen as a flaw in that particular chip?

Just interested - it sticks out like a sore thumb to me on the graphs which should?? be ideally straight?

eg:

index.php

index.php

OP
raband

raband

Cheers.

Sort of helps understand why it's there, but not whether it's a large enough of an issue to be of concern

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
raband

raband

How much of an issue is it at the end of the day?

derp1n

Amir, as our resident Topping shill :rolleyes:, any chance of asking them for an explanation for the difference between the DX7 and DX7s? John's explanation should apply equally to various 9028 and 9038 implementations, so there may be other factors in play.

How much of an issue is it at the end of the day?
Seems pretty minor to me.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it only the newer Sabre chips with the IMD hump?

The "Sabre Glare" meme has been around for years.

mindbomb

The dx7 also wasn't perfect. Its imd curve was substantially worse than the exasound e32. I think what is happening is the newer dac chips are creating more common mode distortion, but companies are rehashing the same analog section, which wasn't fully cutting it in the first place.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The dx7 also wasn't perfect. Its imd curve was substantially worse than the exasound e32. I think what is happening is the newer dac chips are creating more common mode distortion, but companies are rehashing the same analog section, which wasn't fully cutting it in the first place.

And wasn't Exasound E32 THD+N curve from 3kHz onward far worse than DX7? ;)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

It seems like an answer to the original question hasn't been given yet: is the hump in intermodulation distortion bad?
Do we hear it? And what does it do to the music?

Does the Topping D10 have the same hump? (can't see an answer on the dedicated Topping D10 measurement page)

Thanks.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hi,

It seems like an answer to the original question hasn't been given yet: is the hump in intermodulation distortion bad?
Do we hear it? And what does it do to the music?

Does the Topping D10 have the same hump? (can't see an answer on the dedicated Topping D10 measurement page)

Thanks.

I don't remember seeing that hump with any DAC with ES9018K2M chip so I would say D10 doesn't suffer from it. I've been using D10 for quite some time now and it sounds completely transparent to me.

My guess would also be that hump effects are below hearing threshold in a typical home environment where noise floor is at -70dB at best.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess would also be that hump effects are below hearing threshold in a typical home environment where noise floor is at -70dB at best.

Yes but... on closed headphones, with a JDS Atom transparent headphones amp?

Samoyed

From Eyegor: “What hump?”

Attachments

• A2E3EF39-89C6-4C3E-8406-E74FF36F6FC5.jpeg
    A2E3EF39-89C6-4C3E-8406-E74FF36F6FC5.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 110

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a discussion about hump and how to solve it in Benchmark DAC thread. In short - ESS DAC has balanced outputs and they should be fed into differential amp. Most manufacturers however skip such amp and feed DAC directly to RCA. Hence hump.

Top Bottom