• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

ADU

Major Contributor
When I worked with the music touring business I ran across a few customers I'd never heard of. I remember one particularly I'd not heard of in the US where I live but when visiting Australia my buddy's wife was a big fan of the guy (but can't remember his name for the life of me or even perusing a list of greek artists....sort of a larger/heavier guy popular in the 70s, sang in a really high and annoying voice....which is probably why I can't come up with the name, only worked a bit on his tours).

Demis Roussos?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Demis Roussos?

Yes, thank you, the name didn't particularly ring the bell as I saw it in the list of artists, but the picture did! I didn't understand the popularity after hearing him....(but the tours paid sufficiently so was always happy :) ).

Reactions: ADU

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My 'favorite artist who [is NOT] famous in [my] country and who [... is well] known around the world?" Angélique Kidjo
+1. Saw her live here and own several records since.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One great thing about the various streaming services in this regard is that you can easily sample various international artists.....just added Angelique Kidjo for some future listening.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the Canadian stuff reminded me to play some Barenaked Ladies....

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dorfcombo. Got some local fame in 1993 with this song and record but later they decided to not become pro musicians. Later they played about one concert every 10 (!) years. It's a shame that most of you cannot understand the language because the lyrics are often funny, sometimes serious.

Here is their most famous song (Autolied = car song) from the last concert in 2019. Each time they play this song the public sings the first verse on its own. Really interesting is the range of ages of the public, ranging from young kids to people in their 70s.

ADU

Major Contributor
Yes, thank you, the name didn't particularly ring the bell as I saw it in the list of artists, but the picture did! I didn't understand the popularity after hearing him....(but the tours paid sufficiently so was always happy :) ).

I don't really remember him that well. But he collaborated with Vangelis on a number of projects, including the Bladerunner soundtrack. So maybe some prog fans might know him? He (apparently) also had a fairly successful career as a pop singer in Europe.

Two collabs with Vangelis...

He also did this vocal version of Vangelis's "Chariots of Fire".

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reinhold Mey - singer/songwriter since the mid 60s. Here is a new more rocklike version of 'Nein meine Söhne geb ich nicht' (I don't give you/the army my sons). The translation is correct. Reinhard Mey is the one singing at 3:58.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really remember him that well. But he collaborated with Vangelis on a number of projects, including the Bladerunner soundtrack. So maybe some prog fans might know him? He (apparently) also had a fairly successful career as a pop singer in Europe.

Two collabs with Vangelis...

He also did this vocal version of Vangelis's "Chariots of Fire".

Did not realize he had involvement with Blade Runner, thanks. I think all I experienced was his euro pop singing. Good to know, thanks again.

ADU

Major Contributor

Being half-German, I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I haven't delved that deeply into the catalog of German artists. The two I know the best are Kraftwerk and Nena.

I'm guessin some here are familiar with Kraftwerk, since they are basically the originators of electro-funk. And fans of New Wave/synth-pop will likely recall Nena's "99 Luftballons". But may know little else by her.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
guys, some of those artists are so local, youtube is saying the video ain't available (geoblocked) :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being half-German, I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I haven't delved that deeply into the catalog of German artists. The two I know the best are Kraftwerk and Nena.

I'm guessin some here are familiar with Kraftwerk, since they are basically the originators of electro-funk. And fans of New Wave/synth-pop will likely recall Nena's "99 Luftballoons". But probably know little else by her.

Bought a coupla Kraftwerk vinyls back in the day. I just saw the other day that Florian Schneider had died; I hadn't thought of them for a while until I saw that so I pulled them out for a play. I may have heard Nena's 99 Luftballoons a few times, lol (a few too many times perhaps :) ). Got me thinking of Falco (of Der Kommissar fame)

Top Bottom