• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep still regularly buy optical discs of various forms, CD, Bluray, DVD, multich SACD......but playing the discs are mostly for other than the cds, those I rip and file.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow - tell us more!

They called it the "Wall of Sound" - 80 microphones set out in what I gather was a huge vertical rectangular array, in front of the performance stage, to be reproduced by 80 loudspeakers set out in the same pattern. Probably not a great idea.

Loudspeaker stereo was never conceived as 2-channel only, until it came time to deliver it domestically, with the vinyl LP.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They called it the "Wall of Sound" - 80 microphones set out in what I gather was a huge vertical rectangular array, in front of the performance stage, to be reproduced by 80 loudspeakers set out in the same pattern. Probably not a great idea.

Loudspeaker stereo was never conceived as 2-channel only, until it came time to deliver it domestically, with the vinyl LP.
Very cool!

I found this historical overview:

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/essence-reveals-history-stereophonic-sound/

gvl

Major Contributor
I did not personally, but my back doctor says I might need a couple soon.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Prompted by this thread, I looked through my Discogs collection and was slightly surprised at how many new discs I've bought in the past three years or so - not a lot, but more than I'd thought.

Many of these are reissues, remasters, and new old stock, but regardless, here are the new discs I've bought since 2018. If I bought them after their release date I've noted that as (year of release/year of purchase).

• Aurora - All My Demons Greeting Me as Friends (2016/2019)
  • Beatles Mono CD box (2009/2017 - found it for $43, and yes it's authentic :))
  • Beck - Song Reader (2014/2019)
  • Big Star #1 Record/Radio City George Horn remaster, with Nothing Can Hurt Me DVD (2014/2019)
  • Billy Squier - Don't Say No Intervention Records remaster SACD (2018)
  • Carole King - Tapestry MSFL SACD (2013/2018)
  • The Church - Starfish Intervention Records remastered and expanded SACD (2021)
  • The Clash - London Calling 2013 remaster (2019)
  • David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees 2003 remaster (2020)
  • Durand Jones & The Indications (2016/2018)
  • Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome 2017 remaster (2018)
  • The Best of the Housemartins (2004/2019)
  • Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight 2001 mono Japan remaster (2020)
  • Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love Grundman remaster (20142018)
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced SACD (2020)
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love SACD (2018)
  • Jimmy "Duck" Holmes - Cypress Grove (2019/2020)
  • Joe Jackson Body and Soul Intervention Records remaster SACD (2020)
  • Kate Bush Hounds of Love 2018 remaster (2019)
  • Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won remaster (2018)
  • Mark Hollis (1998/2019)
  • Massive Attack Mezzanine expanded reissue (2019)
  • Massive Attack Ritual Spirit EP (2016/2018)
  • Massive Attack The Spoils single (2016/2018)
  • Melanie De Biasio - Blackened Cities (2016/2018)
  • Melanie De Biasio - No Deal (2013/2018)
  • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue MFSL SACD (2015/2018)
  • Neko Case - Hell-On (2018)
  • Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left, Bryer Layter, and Pink Moon 2017 Japan CDs based on 2012 digital remasters (2020)
  • Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow (2005/2020) and Money for All (2007/2021)
  • Rain Tree Crow - 2003 remaster (2020)
  • Son House - Father of the Folk Blues SACD (2016/2020)
  • St Vincent (2014/2018)
  • St Vincent - Strange Mercy (2011/2019)
  • Talk Talk - Natural Order (2013/2019)
  • The Very Best of Talk Talk (1997/2018)
  • Tinariwen - Emmaar (2014/2020)
  • The Wolfgang Press - Unremembered Remembered (2020)

Mariner9

"just curious what (if anything) folks here might have actually physically (no downloads either) purchased at retail"

I will buy CDs if that's the only way to get a digital copy or if it's notably cheaper than the download.

Recent purchases include:

Weeb Labs

I received my order of Stereo Dive Foundation's Storyseeker this morning. I chose the anime-themed version for the pretty insert artwork. :D

1626277878528.png

Love the song. It is oddly nostalgic to me.

Weeb Labs

ONE OK ROCK’s most recent album, Eye of The Storm.

746025B9-7923-43E2-83B3-6F1DDB4648B9.jpeg

Somehow, I had not known of this album until very recently but as far as I am concerned, it is a masterpiece.

Favorites:
- Eye of The Storm
- Push Back
- Change
- Stand Out Fit In
- Grow Old Die Young

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought
"Images" by Anna Lapwood after seeing her on, of all places, TikTok
Not for all tastes, obviously, but a fabulous acoustic recording of the organ at Ely Cathedral.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought this lot last week from two different (real, physical) shops:

Mix of new and used, £55 the lot.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
We recently bought “Heroic Proportions “ by Felix Hell. That is his real name, he is an organist.

It is a test album for subs on Audioholics.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I regularly buy optical discs, I immediately rip them to FLAC and tend to use the FLAC files much more than the discs but I still like having the discs. And I still prefer Blu-ray and DVD discs for the simple reason that they provide a fixed datum as opposed to streaming where old sitcoms and movies risk being edited or taken off line to fit political sensibilities of the moment.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Further back than that. People have been saying multichannel music was the future since the 90's, when home theater started to get huge. (In fact I'm sure you are aware people have at various times said multichannel is the future going decades further back...QUAD sound and all that).

Let's face it, the vast majority of people who listen to music have no desire to surround themselves with speakers. Ain't gonna happen. Speakers have gone to earbuds/earphones or even to MONO (the ubituitous smart speaker). The arrow is headed in the other direction if anything.
If you look at High Fidelity/Stereo Review around 1970, you will find lots of promotion of 4-channel surround. And don't forget Dynaco's quasi-surround, 4 speakers, center channel, back [summed out of phase] channel. It only required a routing box and two more speakers.

The reason surround doesn't catch on is the reason why audio manufactures want it to catch on: it's more stuff. Normal people want a small, unobtrusive device that does everything.

In answer to the OP: The last physical disc I bought was a used, $2 copy of "Gord's Gold", Gordon Lightfoot. There's a very recent documentry on Gordon Lightfoot, it re-aroused interest in his music. "If You Could Read My Mind" [aka "Sit Down Young Stranger"] is one of my all-time favorite albums. I used to be a "collector" [though hoarding was never all that far away from my perpetual squirreling away of LPs], but with streaming, I no longer have to buy something new to hear it. I've got something like 1600 CDs backed up on my computer, on a hard drive, a tiny flash drive and a tinier Micro SD card. Almost all of the things I listen to repeatedly are in that collection, so the urge to get more stuff just ain't what it used to be. Once I rip a CD to the computer, I stop playing the CD, it just isn't as convenient and the sound quality is identical.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Most recent cd purchase a month ago, the first new Stephen Fretwell album in ten years, bought a load of new records yesterday, Churches, Penguin Cafe Orchestra and a 2nd hand Oscar Peterson box set.

amper42

Major Contributor
silver.jpg

Just bought FourPlay - Silver CD and also on HDTracks. What I found interesting was I prefer the clarity of the CD version. I heard the album on Qobuz and loved the "Silverado" track. On the Revel F328Be this track swings. Amazing bass thump and Rhythm. Can't stand still when "Silverado" is playing. Love using it with exercise. :D:cool: Try it if you like jazz!

blse59

I haven't bought music discs in a long time. I don't know why. I still buy films on blu-ray though. The audio/visual quality is just obviously better than streaming or downloads. Plus it has extras that you can't get from streaming or downloads. My latest purchases this week are Mulholland Dr. and The Before Trilogy Criterion Collections, and Requiem For a Dream. I have the Yojimbo & Sanjuro and Three Colors Trilogy Criterion Collections coming in.

Top Bottom