• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

rlwings

Indeed, based on recent experience, I also would like to use primarily a good preamp for volume control.

Anyway, Johnyoung of Topping mentioned that the DAC preamp quality is excellent. Thus I think set it at preamp mode should not degrade your overall sound quality.

I am just curious if you lower the DAC output to below 4v would help or not. This would be great information for other people if you could try it out (before you return the DAC) and report back.
I was hearing what sounded like possible distortion in the top-end (gritty at times) while using the D90SE in DAC mode with my new Marantz Model 30. So I dropped the Topping from 5v to 4v and it went away. I have amp direct so I couldn't try the 2 preamp solution.

elvisizer

Maybe try a new optical cable. My Vizio TV has never had a problem.
the d90se really does not like the LG oled's optical output. I have 2 LG's (both are the CX version from last year) and the d90se had dropouts with both no matter what cables I used.
It's too bad, I really liked the d90 otherwise and would have kept it if it could just stay locked to a stupid LG optical signal. But it couldn't so back it went!

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
I gave it a try and there's no discernible difference to my ears if I set the topping 4v and to preamp and lower the volume on the topping.
What is the preamp sensitivity in specification?
For example Purifi EVAL1 kit reaches its maximum power with ~1.8 volt on XLR input.
The fact some device uses XLR doesn’t mean it’s tuned to 4V standard.
Maybe try to lower gain to less than 2V on dac?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is the preamp sensitivity in specification?
For example Purifi EVAL1 kit reaches its maximum power with ~1.8 volt on XLR input.
The fact some device uses XLR doesn’t mean it’s tuned to 4V standard.
Maybe try to lower gain to less than 2V on dac?
I have a Topping D10B with the MarchAudio Purifi modules (P451). The modules are rated at 2 Vrms for max power out. I designed 6 dB attentuators but did not bother making them. I just drop the Volume on the streamer; it can control the D10B Volume via the USB port.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should elaborate. Based on my own experience, we are all getting too worried about differences in level of 10 dB or less. If the DAC has a volume control don't worry about it.

Eddy H.

Is anyone using the i2s input on the dac? Just curious if there is any advantage to using it.

TunaBug

Forum Donor

linger63

If the goal is only to play SACD discs, it seems easier to rip them to DSF files and play them back from a computer to DAC over USB. I'm curious about i2s playback though, even if only as a hypothetical use.
Easier if using a PC in the system but not necessarily the individually preferred method for SACD player owners.

Eddy H.

I was thinking about getting a digital to digital converter with i2s output and running my TV, streamer and laptop into it. Just wondering if I'd get any improvements.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was thinking about getting a digital to digital converter with i2s output and running my TV, streamer and laptop into it. Just wondering if I'd get any improvements.
Improvements? No way.

Eddy H.

Is everyone leaving there dac on 24 hours a day? Just curious. I leave mine on auto and have never turned it off since I got it a few months ago and haven't had any problems.

rlwings

Is everyone leaving there dac on 24 hours a day? Just curious. I leave mine on auto and have never turned it off since I got it a few months ago and haven't had any problems.
I do the same as you. Best of both worlds. Stays a little warm without temp extremes.

rlwings

Interesting purchasing story... I ordered two D90SE's from Amazon Canada about 2 months ago which came directly from China. I only paid the price asked on Amazon. No shipping charges, no taxes and no duty... 1 month later the same ad on Amazon started charging all the above fees. (About $300!).. Looks like I totally lucked out as China had listed the D90SE's values as $10.00 each!, lol, but now it's being sold locally by Amazon with all fees attached... Glad I bought 2 of them! :) - Huge unexpected savings!

Last edited:

Palex

Due to the difficulty of translation, I did not understand . Which of the 7 filters does Amirm recommend

rlwings

I just read this while listening to my D90SE. I can't understand how this guy couldn't hear the amazing sound stage and detail of this DAC. It's by far the best sounding DAC I've ever heard... All I can think of is that he didn't have his system set up properly to accomodate a DAC that doesn't add anything to the signal. Or maybe a bad room, or dare I say not waiting long enough to 'break in' his DAC. Seems mine improved emmensly over a 2-week period of listening. Increased dynamic range will often sound 'weird' and unnatural to those who don't understand what uncolored sound is suppose to sound like. Like the dynamic contrast seen on Best Buy TV displays. Impressive for 10 minutes, but inaccurate as hell when viewing skin-tones, etc... Nope, the D90SE is unbelievably good, accurate.

Eddy H.

I just read this while listening to my D90SE. I can't understand how this guy couldn't hear the amazing sound stage and detail of this DAC. It's by far the best sounding DAC I've ever heard... All I can think of is that he didn't have his system set up properly to accomodate a DAC that doesn't add anything to the signal. Or maybe a bad room, or dare I say not waiting long enough to 'break in' his DAC. Seems mine improved emmensly over a 2-week period of listening. Increased dynamic range will often sound 'weird' and unnatural to those who don't understand what uncolored sound is suppose to sound like. Like the dynamic contrast seen on Best Buy TV displays. Impressive for 10 minutes, but inaccurate as hell when viewing skin-tones, etc... Nope, the D90SE is unbelievably good, accurate.
Ive had the d50s, d30pro, d70s and the d90se is by far the best dac I've heard. The d30pro comes in second. Imo

Top Bottom