• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
…would it be possible to use MQA filtering @ 384KHz? If yes, how? In Tidal the filtering is at 96KHz as in the photo.

For that to work, you'd need to find a 384 kHz source file that has been encoded to MQA. I've yet to find such a file, although TIDAL does have some MQA streams that unfold to 352.8 kHz.

dsnyder0cnn

Are there any details about the update
List of changes?
Mostly, this MCU update addresses ticking noises that we're hearing during playback of DSD files during passages where levels are very low (below -80 dB). This can happen during the track fade-out and other periods of silence.

ol_mcdonald

Not sure what to make of this but Gustard x16 is no longer available. I had already noticed their notes about its sale; All sales final, and no Apos two year guarantee. I’m going with a Topping D 70 now.

Attachments

• 1D45566C-1C80-400D-9F10-DA5CFA8D6E00.png
    1D45566C-1C80-400D-9F10-DA5CFA8D6E00.png
    531.6 KB · Views: 103

shwnwllms

Not sure what to make of this but Gustard x16 is no longer available. I had already noticed their notes about its sale; All sales final, and no Apos two year guarantee. I’m going with a Topping D 70 now.
I believe this has been discussed before and its specific to Apos. ShenzenAudio for example still carries it and doesn't have any plans to stop carrying it (as long as they can keep it in stock that is)

dsnyder0cnn

I still like my X16 (will like it more after the MCU fix), but I will probably buy a Topping D90SE later this year anyway. I don't expect it to sound much different, but it's a nicer cosmetic match to my Topping Pre90/Ext90 analog preamp. :)

ol_mcdonald

I’m really on the fence now, and didn’t see the earlier post about this in July, missed it amongst the 21 pages…

So, Apos is saying the Topping D 70S I’m considering is better suited as a preamp, which is my intention, feeding my dsp and amps, any thoughts on that sub issue? TIA

dsnyder0cnn

I’m really on the fence now, and didn’t see the earlier post about this in July, missed it amongst the 21 pages…

So, Apos is saying the Topping D 70S I’m considering is better suited as a preamp, which is my intention, feeding my dsp and amps, any thoughts on that sub issue? TIA
Looks like a solid choice, but the D90SE is only $250 more…

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-mqa-review-dac.18728/

Looks like there could be almost $250 worth of improvement…

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90se-review-balanced-dac.24235/

AudioKnob

X16 is less expensive and virtually same on paper. I run X16 thru Odyssey Tempest pre ... SQ is beyond anything I deserve! Let us know which way ya go!!

ol_mcdonald

That would make it double the price of the Gustard. I am curious if this comment from Apos sales is just salesmanship since they no longer sell the Gustard of if they are a good choice as pre amp. . I liked the Apos two year warranty etc. as well as their return policy. Otherwise I’m dealing with a manufacturer in China that may not be as responsive or easy to deal with in the even of an issue, and looks like there have been a few.

I’m interested in feedback regarding its use as pre amp versus the Topping…purported to be “better” in this regard, how is unclear, but I’ve read about some quirky controls and noise when adjusted. No question about either one as a DAC, pre amp section is what I’m interested in now.

Attachments

• 1A592D4E-0BB3-48A4-8868-2EC2923D8732.jpeg
    1A592D4E-0BB3-48A4-8868-2EC2923D8732.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 66

dsnyder0cnn

That would make it double the price of the Gustard. I am curious if this comment from Apos sales is just salesmanship since they no longer sell the Gustard of if they are a good choice as pre amp. . I liked the Apos two year warranty etc. as well as their return policy. Otherwise I’m dealing with a manufacturer in China that may not be as responsive or easy to deal with in the even of an issue, and looks like there have been a few.

I’m interested in feedback regarding its use as pre amp versus the Topping…purported to be “better” in this regard, how is unclear, but I’ve read about some quirky controls and noise when adjusted. No question about either one as a DAC, pre amp section is what I’m interested in now.
The X16 has a relatively high output impedance of 300Ω. Perhaps they m that's what they are referring to.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Well, I got the X16 disassembled and I bought some jumpers but I can't for the life of me pull the display connector off. I'm using needle nose pliers and just pulling straight back. Is there a secret I'm missing. It's pretty stuck

dsnyder0cnn

Well, I got the X16 disassembled and I bought some jumpers but I can't for the life of me pull the display connector off. I'm using needle nose pliers and just pulling straight back. Is there a secret I'm missing. It's pretty stuck

@shwnwllms - what did you have to do to get the display connector off?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I got it off with a hard pull. Wow....not sure I should have done this. Now I'm running the MCU check for many minutes now.......it seems stuck

Update: I had a loose jumper...now it completed the programming and I will reassemble and cross my fingers that everything works.

Geeze.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Update #2: The display doesn't work. I now see some of the pins were damaged when I pulled it off. I bet that part of the instructions is not correct.

I now have a brick

ol_mcdonald

No Gustard, too many issues going on with it for me. Topping here I come.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Just my fingers, I would advise against using any tools. Just apply pressure rocking each end out until it pops off the display
Just my fingers, I would advise against using any tools. Just apply pressure rocking each end out until it pops off the display
There was a problem with the connector. There should be no way the connector damages the pins if it is to be removed for service.

King_Pin

I hate to ask this question in fear of being laughed at but here goes.
My New computer has SPDIF(which looks like toslink to me) or USB.
Is it my understanding USB is better followed by SPDIF to connect to the X16?
I'm not a serious music listener on my computer but since I have the equipment I would like it to work to the best of it's abilities.
I have music mostly as FLAC or uncompressed WAV files.

screencapture-rog-asus-us-motherboards-rog-crosshair-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model-galler...png

Top Bottom