• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

Jukka

I just bought a pair of the SB-3000 subs. I was really enjoying them until this morning. I used the remote app to turn on the left sub first. I heard the power click and then a hissing noise. I then turned the right sub on and experienced the same hissing noise. I was sitting a good 12 feet away. I am 61 years old and worked at a job that was not kind to my hearing. I got up closer to each sub and could clearly hear the noise. To me it almost had an oscillating sound to it. My listening room was quiet at the time, except for my Synology NAS. The NAS has one noisy hard drive.

I am torn as to whether to keep them or not. I can't think of any other subwoofer with an app that works so I can have them hooked up to a home theater preamp and an audio preamp. I can easily switch between the two from the app. I wonder if the SB-4000 has the issue. I do not really want to spend the extra money, but I should not hear the hiss from 12 feet away.
SVS is a respectable company and I would expect all of their products to work without any audible hiss from themselves. That said, it's more likely that the hiss comes from the source that you have plugged into the sub(s).

A few things to try: 1) does it hiss, if there is nothing connected to it, just the power cord, and switched on? 2) Does the hiss start when you connect other device to it, that is switched on? 3) Are the connected devices in the same power outlet, and if not, does plugging to one help?

I'm sure SVS support would love to help you on this if just bought a pair!

Jimbo1960

I tried unplugging the 'source' to the sub. Both subs are making the same volume of noise.

I got a response from SVC's tech department. As you can see, the SB-3000 is known for the sound 'issue'.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for reaching out to SVS and we're sorry for the problem!

A faint high-pitched sound audible with your ear near the subwoofer is normal for the SB-3000. The high pitched sound is generally not audible at the primary listening position. Most people cannot hear this sound at all - and complaints about it are rare.

With that said, Jeff informed me that you are sensitive to the sound and can hear it at the primary listening position. We can try swapping out the subwoofers or shipping you replacement amps which we test ahead of time to ensure the high pitched sound is at a normal/typical level. But the sound may not be completely eliminated and may still be audible depending on your sensitivity to this type of sound.

Another option would be a pair of SB-2000 Pros or an SB-4000 which have different amplifier platforms and typically would not have any audible level of this sound.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
My SB-4000 had the same issue. SVS sent me replacement amps and installing the replacement amp at home was quite easy. I can no longer hear the high pitch sound unless I squat down right next to the sub.

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Why would anyone care if they can hear hiss at 8 inches from a sub? Is anyone listening 8 inches from a sub? Everyone realises that as soon as sound is played the hiss is not a factor in listening? It is not audible at all by anyone.
Because I can easily hear it even in the middle of the day, just between the songs or on silent passages of the movie I'm watching? Or maybe during the night when I usually listen silently.

Background noise of an audio amplifier or of any audio source is non desirable at over 100 years after the first amplifier was invented by Lee De Forest. So in this case both SVS subs will have this noise listed on the CONS, despite yours or mine opinions. After all, the SNR and the final dynamic is negatively influenced by this noise.

Oh, not to forget: when being in front of the subwoofer, during the night I can spot the noise from 8 feet away (not 8 inches), while during the day it's about 6 feet (due to the daily background noise from the house and from the surroundings). I confess, I am really sensitive to any kind of electronic noise, so maybe an average human should cut in half my above numbers.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Because I can easily hear it even in the middle of the day, just between the songs or on silent passages of the movie I'm watching? Or maybe during the night when I usually listen silently.

Background noise of an audio amplifier or of any audio source is non desirable at over 100 years after the first amplifier was invented by Lee De Forest. So in this case both SVS subs will have this noise listed on the CONS, despite yours or mine opinions. After all, the SNR and the final dynamic is negatively influenced by this noise.

Oh, not to forget: when being in front of the subwoofer, during the night I can spot the noise from 8 feet away (not 8 inches), while during the day it's about 6 feet (due to the daily background noise from the house and from the surroundings). I confess, I am really sensitive to any kind of electronic noise, so maybe an average human should cut in half my above numbers.

If you can hear hiss from 8 feet away with your sub at normal volume levels than it needs to be returned/repaired. I'm talking about many people who crank up the volume with no music and then put their ear very close to the sub and hear some hiss. This is normal. But 8 feet? Nope, something is wrong ESPECIALLY if you do not have your sub turned up all the way.

Jimbo1960

The sound I hear has nothing to do with the volume setting. I can literally hear it from 12 feet away.

I want to know how all the reviewers missed this? There are numerous highly positive professional reviews, including Stereophile, where not a word is mentioned of this issue.

SVS says that is normal to put your ear up to the Sub and hear the sound, but not several feet away.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound I hear has nothing to do with the volume setting. I can literally hear it from 12 feet away.

I want to know how all the reviewers missed this? There are numerous highly positive professional reviews, including Stereophile, where not a word is mentioned.
Maybe a bad batch?

Jimbo1960

From everything I've read, the 1000, 2000 and 4000 series have no issues, just the 3000 series. They offered to send out a replacement pair, but to listen to them first. What if my hearing in that range is better? I do not want to be sending subs back and forth.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I want to know how all the reviewers missed this? There are numerous highly positive professional reviews, including Stereophile, where not a word is mentioned of this issue.
Because it is not present on all samples.
Maybe a bad batch?
Possibly. Or insufficient QC.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

SVS says that is normal to put your ear up to the Sub and hear the sound, but not several feet away.

If it was present on mine I would have said it.

Reactions: trl

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It depends on the amp manufacturer. The woofer is not a hiss producer but the amp/crossover board can easily do it. I would bet that in another year or so, they switch from the current supplier to another one. I have an amazing crystal ball that is about 95% accurate.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Because it is not present on all sample
I'm the only one in the house unable to sleep with the TV or laptop plugged into the socket, due to the SMPS noise. I really think that not everyone can focus on the exact frequency of this noise hiss, most people paying attention only to the listening to the music. When speaking about subs, our brains are mostly trying to hear the quality and quantity of the bass, not the hiss. Also, my home is really quiet, with noise proof 8.8mm/4mm/6.4mm Stadip Silence windows, so hearing background noise is way easier.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If it was present on mine I would have said it.
Was the noise present only on SB3000 or on SB2000Pro too? Did you happen to have both of the above subs? It would be nice to check the background noise on both, if possible, please.

Maybe updating with a footnote would help others in choosing the right sub for them. Thanks!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm the only one in the house unable to sleep with the TV or laptop plugged into the socket, due to the SMPS noise. I really think that not everyone can focus on the exact frequency of this noise hiss, most people paying attention only to the listening to the music.
Understood but, provoked by this thread, I intentionally put one ear within 2 inches of the subwoofer cone and specifically listened for the noise, so lack of attention is not an issue. Can you estimate the frequency of the noise?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Was the noise present only on SB3000 or on SB2000Pro too?

The noise was not present on either of my samples.

Again, if it were, I would have noticed. I’m very aware of hiss because it’s been a pet peeve of mine for years and years due to my high sensitivity speakers and my car audio background.

This seems to be a hit/miss incident.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Understood but, provoked by this thread, I intentionally put one ear within 2 inches of the subwoofer cone and specifically listened for the noise, so lack of attention is not an issue. Can you estimate the frequency of the noise?
Thank you Kal,

2300 Hz, per https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vs-sb-3000-subwoofer-review.21428/post-831465.
Sometimes there's a high pitch noise too, but quite low in amplitude and way too random so I can actually catch the freq. response.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It depends on the amp manufacturer. The woofer is not a hiss producer but the amp/crossover board can easily do it. I would bet that in another year or so, they switch from the current supplier to another one. I have an amazing crystal ball that is about 95% accurate.
In my case the hiss comes up after about 2 sec. from power ON.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you Kal,
2300 Hz, per https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vs-sb-3000-subwoofer-review.21428/post-831465.
Sometimes there's a high pitch noise too, but quite low in amplitude and way too random so I can actually catch the freq. response.
Thanks. When people say hiss, it implies a higher frequency and it occurred to me that I might not be sensitive enough to hear it. 2.3kHz is no problem.

So, I relistened to each sub with that tone range in mind. I could hear nothing/nada from either of the SB-3000 from the front or the back. From the SB-2000Pro, I can hear only a little 120Hz hum with my ear 2-3 inches from the front and I think that is a residual of the simple XLR-to-RCA adapter in use. Unplug it and the hum disappears.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I can't open your zip file. But 2300 hz is pretty high. So, not sure the woofer itself can produce such high notes. Is it louder in front of woofer or louder somewhere else, like near the amp plate?
In front, of course; this is why I moved it 90 degrees, so I can't hear the hiss from the listening point. The middle cone of the driver can definitelly go higher than 2.3 kHz.

Top Bottom