• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to SPDIF DD/DTS & 2 chanel pass-through

wangine

Hello everyone . Is my first post here . I search for days about that subject and confuse me more than lighting.
My setup aren't very complicated , Denon AVR2105 for movies stream from my TV and control everything in my home, for music Wangine WFA-220 , Denon POA2200 + preamp PRA1500 , all my speakers are Canton and sub Behringer .
I rid off of my standalone player's and i replace with a old laptop after i remove the broken screen
thinkpad T560 and i use it with HDMI output hoping my TV will Pass-through the DD/DTS via optical in my AVR (TV have that options in the menu)
Well that didn't happen because the video card (here is same issue My graphic card ) of that PC don't support more than 2 channels and everything will be re-encoded and the sound is ridiculous.
Now , single way i was thinking to solve that was to buy or build a USB to SPDIF or coax converter . I don't want to sound to be re-encoded or decoded because that is the AVR job.
As example to understand better , is capable the device like that Convertor to pass-through all formats , even multichannel ?
Many time i listen music in multi-channel mode through AVR decoder and simply i enjoy it (i know i know , some voices will say, dude only 2 channel are
for music but .... music is subjective so.. i just enjoy it as i like ;))
Also i was thinking on that one converter but the problem is , i don't want any analog output , i will use the internal AVR decoder capable to decode ok for me
(Analog Devices Hammerhead SHARC high resolution 32-bit floating point DSP with advanced surround sound format decoding including DTS-ES 6.1, DTS 96/24 5.1, DTS Neo: 6, Dolby Digital EX and Dolby PLIIx) and stereo up to 192/24 .
I wait you advice's and what i missing here .
Edit later sry
Can that device to transport DD/DTS out to PCM Spdif ? 5.1/ 7.1 /2.0 and so on ?
Sry for my english and ....
thanks .... i guess :)

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My first thought, sell off the Denon and Wangine stuff and get a nice modern A/V receiver and plug the laptop's HDMI into it.
Then run HDMI from new A/V receiver to TV.

OP
wangine

wangine

My first thought, sell off the Denon and Wangine stuff and get a nice modern A/V receiver and plug the laptop's HDMI into it.
Well , i think you miss the point here, seriously .
My son running on denon AVR-X100 , i test already on him AVR .
The problem is , all intel i7 wont let you to go out DD/ DTS and other format's over HDMI
will re-encode as 2 channels only and many other video/audio board's have same issue over HDMI.
The problem is over the place , like my . A simple search it spared you
to reply me. Look here
And about Wangine , i wish you to listen to one at least once in life time.
Here i ask a advice of what "USB to S/PDIF Toslink" converter to buy.
My devices work more than fine over Blueray,DVD,CD input Toslink or any analog in.
Thanks for you time

twsecrest

Asus Xonar U3 sound card will take in USB and output thru optical.

OP
wangine

wangine

Asus Xonar U3 sound card will take in USB and output thru optical.
Yes , i look on that some days ago, didn't found full specs about, seems have max 92k/24 or maybe less 48 . . I buy at the end this one Creative.
Now i wait to arive to test it .
Thanks
Bobby

radix

Major Contributor
I use the Douk Audio V2 USB to toslink/spdif converter. It takes a usb micro connector. I use it on a mac and did not need any drivers. I think it came with a small cd driver for windows. About $50USD. On my mac, it shows up to 384kHz/24-bit. I did briefly use it with a 96k/24 DTS system. I am not sure how well it would work for multi-channel surround sound.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XPRSGM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5CFCEJV5BPEKZQB1C9AY

Marc

twsecrest

Yes , i look on that some days ago, didn't found full specs about, seems have max 92k/24 or maybe less 48 . . I buy at the end this one Creative.
Now i wait to arive to test it .
Thanks
Bobby
When using DD/DTS for S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), audio is limited to 24-bit/48K (like DVD movie audio).

OP
wangine

wangine

When using DD/DTS for S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), audio is limited to 24-bit/48K (like DVD movie audio).
So now you say , does't matter how high the signal are the Toslink or S/PDIF will limit at 40/24 right ? In that case the Denon internal decoder useful only on that two connection why was build at
DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Denon AVR2105
They lie in the specs ?
Thanks

twsecrest

So now you say , does't matter how high the signal are the Toslink or S/PDIF will limit at 40/24 right ? In that case the Denon internal decoder useful only on that two connection why was build at
DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Denon AVR2105
They lie in the specs ?
Thanks
My knowledge of DD/DTS might be a little dated, it could be that DTS-ES 6.1 is not a well supported format, as who uses a 6.1 speaker setup?

OP
wangine

wangine

My knowledge of DD/DTS might be a little dated, it could be that DTS-ES 6.1 is not a well supported format, as who uses a 6.1 speaker setup?
Board arive today , first movie test 5.1 DTS go in 96k/24 5.1channels . I'm curious on 2 cannel audio . I will post news
Thanks
d1a5318f-5ccf-4275-88d6-ca9e59f677a6.jpg

Top Bottom