• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R200: Spinorama and measurements (a really nice surprise!)

Transmaniacon

I’ve got a pair of the R200 bookshelves coming this week, very excited to hear them! I think my Parasound HCA-1500a will do a great job powering these, and I will see how they compare to my current Chane A1.4.

Transmaniacon

The R200 are here! Well made and they look really sharp. I’ve only got an hour or so on them but they come across as very neutral and balanced. I’ll get some more impressions up as I get more time these speakers.

10733055-80E0-413F-9BDC-D99461CA2FD2.jpeg

testp

The R200 are here! Well made and they look really sharp. I’ve only got an hour or so on them but they come across as very neutral and balanced. I’ll get some more impressions up as I get more time these speakers.

View attachment 152236
Well... Tell us tell us (when you've done some more listening) more :)

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was this or the Diamonds 12.2. Went for the Diamonds because they had a great offer on it. Both measure nearly the same too tonality wise (both are very neutral for its their price) but damn, these look BEAUTIFUL. Just gorgeous.

Transmaniacon

It was this or the Diamonds 12.2. Went for the Diamonds because they had a great offer on it. Both measure nearly the same too tonality wise (both are very neutral for its their price) but damn, these look BEAUTIFUL. Just gorgeous.

They really are some handsome speakers, especially in the walnut finish. I do like the Wharfedale styling a lot, a bit more modern looking than the Polks.

MarkWinston

They really are some handsome speakers, especially in the walnut finish. I do like the Wharfedale styling a lot, a bit more modern looking than the Polks.
How do they sound like in your space? I loved how they sounded when I auditioned them back then. It was only for 15 minutes though but first impression was the mids, those silky smooth mids.

Transmaniacon

How do they sound like in your space? I loved how they sounded when I auditioned them back then. It was only for 15 minutes though but first impression was the mids, those silky smooth mids.

To my ear they are incredibly balanced and composed. I’ve only had an hour listening with them, just got them hooked up last night, but they are impressive for sure. Strong controlled bass, plenty of detail without being fatiguing, just seems like a speaker that will make everything sound good and be appealing to a lot of people.

I like to play I’ve Seen All Good People by Yes, because there are some parts in the song that really ask a lot of your tweeter. I do notice distortion with my Chane A1.4 in that part, but the Polk handles it perfectly and I don’t get any harshness.

MarkWinston

To my ear they are incredibly balanced and composed. I’ve only had an hour listening with them, just got them hooked up last night, but they are impressive for sure. Strong controlled bass, plenty of detail without being fatiguing, just seems like a speaker that will make everything sound good and be appealing to a lot of people.

I like to play I’ve Seen All Good People by Yes, because there are some parts in the song that really ask a lot of your tweeter. I do notice distortion with my Chane A1.4 in that part, but the Polk handles it perfectly and I don’t get any harshness.
Ahhh... the wonders of a neutral speaker. I might have to look around for a good offer on these now. These speakers are goin to be known by the masses soon, for very obvious reasons.

Colonel7

How does the ring radiator tweeter sound? I've not heard one yet but I know some really like it for its narrower dispersion for focus while others prefer domes for wider dispersion.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The L200 was similarly "balanced and composed" to my ear (and FWIW)... the L & R lines seem to be very worthy successors to the original consumer products from Mssrs. Polk, Grossman, and company (the "Monitor 7" and "Monitor 10"). I am teetering on the brink of investing in a pair of L100, L200 or R200... literally, right this moment, due to a "Friends & Family" kind of discount Sound United's offering on the L models. :)

MarkWinston

Top : Polk Reserve R200
Bottom : Wharfedale Diamond 12.2
Red - On axis
Green - 30 degrees off horizontal axis

Looks pretty darn close from 200hz - 20khz... would be interesting to hear them side by side!

Transmaniacon

How does the ring radiator tweeter sound? I've not heard one yet but I know some really like it for its narrower dispersion for focus while others prefer domes for wider dispersion.

I like it a lot, great detail and it seems like it can handle some power. I definitely dislike bright sounding speakers, and this just toes the line in a good way. I need to try more toe in to see how it sounds, I currently have them slightly toed in so that I can see Just a bit of the inside cabinet surfaces.

Transmaniacon

The L200 was similarly "balanced and composed" to my ear (and FWIW)... the L & R lines seem to be very worthy successors to the original consumer products from Mssrs. Polk, Grossman, and company (the "Monitor 7" and "Monitor 10"). I am teetering on the brink of investing in a pair of L100, L200 or R200... literally, right this moment, due to a "Friends & Family" kind of discount Sound United's offering on the L models. :)

I got the R200 from Crutchfield for $649 on sale, with 60 days to listen and $12 return shipping, it’s very little risk to try them out and see. From what I’ve read, the Reserve series is probably the sweet spot in terms of value as it uses the Legend drivers.

MarkWinston

I got the R200 from Crutchfield for $649 on sale, with 60 days to listen and $12 return shipping, it’s very little risk to try them out and see. From what I’ve read, the Reserve series is probably the sweet spot in terms of value as it uses the Legend drivers.
There have been quite a few reports that the R sounds better than the L... lol! Polk have really outdone themselves this time.

Transmaniacon

There have been quite a few reports that the R sounds better than the L... lol! Polk have really outdone themselves this time.

Agreed! My first new speakers I bought were Polk Monitor 30s, probably 15 years ago. They were horrid, but got me into the hobby, definitely have a soft spot for the brand.

Top Bottom