• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Scientific Review of AudioScienceReview

• Thread starter Deleted member 30699
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There are several issues with the video, where ASR discards that phase shift is relevant, the main ones are
- Low/no phase shifts result in a output that is measurably better, hence higher fidelity
You have some peer review research to prove this? Did you watch the video where I explain how the room creates massive, chaotic response to phase? Here is Dr. Toole from that video:
Floyde Toole.PNG

And the other peer reviewed research cited:

On the Audibility of Midrange Phase Distortion in Audio Systems.PNG

So again, you are expressing lay audiophile ideas that have no foundational proof.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
- The author himself acknowledges that (differential) phase shift is audible. Hence the manufacturers claim of audibility are satisfied and the burden of proof is on the author.
I understand what I said there. But clearly you don't. Differential in arrival time between your ears is what is audible (you can tell the location of the sound this way). That has nothing to do with the phase shift upstream in your system. Clearly you have not watched or understood that video to make comments like this. In Music reproduction, this differential is provided by what comes out of each speaker with respect to volume and timing which is content dependent for the most part.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
When you publish brutally honest reviews, as Amir does, you will be brutally attacked by their supporters or them directly under aliases. That is exactly what I see happening here. Think of some of the recent reviews and you may find some clues.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The following is a review of AudioScienceReview (ASR) as if it were a concept submitted to a journal.

But it’s not a journal and it’s has no pretension or ambition to be one, so what is the point?

If ASR were a journal, we would see only 2 to 4 reviews and articles per year at best. The articles would be very long and thorough (and probably very boring), but no longer relevant in many cases.

And the best peer reviewing happens right here on the forum in the comments, for everyone to witness. It’s f-ing great!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This makes me want to watch reruns of "All In The Family."

I for one think Amir should not be allowed to own any audio equipment anymore. All of it should be ritually burned and sacrificed to the holy science spirits.

.. don’t forget the YouTube video for this!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think OP is a troll and he/she hasn't posted anything more. IMO, let sleeping dogs lay.

OP
D

Deleted member 30699

This thread is a thinly veiled accusation about Amir's independence and competence. Written badly.

It is not intended as such - it is written in a typical review language (on purpose), that highlights potential issues, and where 3/5 is good result for a first review, i.e. not a 'reject'.

Also, _for_the_record_ I do not know the author and have no affiliation with any product being reviewed here.
ASR _is_ a good as is but but has still some things that can be objectively criticized but it does not have to be this way.. which is the point.

OP
D

Deleted member 30699

I understand what I said there. But clearly you don't. Differential in arrival time between your ears is what is audible (you can tell the location of the sound this way). That has nothing to do with the phase shift upstream in your system. Clearly you have not watched or understood that video to make comments like this. In Music reproduction, this differential is provided by what comes out of each speaker with respect to volume and timing which is content dependent for the most part.

There are a few ways how phase shift can be noticed, it usually involves multitone waveforms that are partially phase shifted (again phase shift and delay/anticipation per frequency is equivalent). These topics are still "differential" as in reference to somewhere in the waveform, which is kind of the point. However, it is not in the sense of left and right ear.
- Subwoofer placement usually needs phase alignment, so does the integration of speaker drivers
- Another obvious one is that one can take a frequency band and delay it by an arbitrary amount. The signals still have the same 'local' RMS and for pure sine waves, nobody would notice (this is the limit of frequency analysis, it requires "steady-state" but it is of course useful because everything else is way more complicated). However, music is aperiodic and we notice delays, e.g. if the singer or beat runs behind/ahead of the rest.

Unrelated, we usually want a signal "true to the source", i.e. hifi, no?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have no dog in this hunt and in no way am I defending Amir or ASR (as I am in no position to do so), but in general, OP smacks of typical troll behavior.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 30699

You have some peer review research to prove this? Did you watch the video where I explain how the room creates massive, chaotic response to phase? Here is Dr. Toole from that video:
View attachment 151777
Please note that you provided the peer reviewed info here, quote "if there is an effect it is audible, it is a subtle effect.
For example, the difference between a SINAD of 105dB and 120dB is "if audible, a subtle effect".
We may or may not care about it but it is scientifically not to exclude.

And the other peer reviewed research cited:

View attachment 151778

So again, you are expressing lay audiophile ideas that have no foundational proof.

True - the room dominates everything else (unless it is a purpose build studio and even then). So what? Give up?
Regarding my opinion, it is about hi-fi and yes, I like high-resolution audio, even if the differences are "if audible, subtle"

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
You don't suppose this has something to do with the 13 posts defending the Puritan Audio PSM156 Review (AC Filter)?

Something is rotten in Denmark.
Correction, make that over 30 separate posts defending Pur it an snake oil product. Taking notes here….

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP clearly knows zip about research reviews and peer-reviewed journals. A review of the "concept"? Huh? And "independent" peer reviewers don't just show up and peer review things at their own behest, as others point out it is based on proven success in the field and invitation. The closest ASR would come would be something like a research institute, center, or lab review where folks come in for a few days and scrutinize it according to the strategic plan and goals of the org and benchmark it against like orgs (competition). I've done all of these and what OP has done is silly and took what 5mins? and with simple factual errors to boot. And there are some seriously accomplished people here in a lot of different fields who continue research activity.

This is a pretty unique place and is having some influence on others paying attention to measurements and utilizing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom