• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality DAC Recommendations?

WoollyGeezer

Hey ASR,

LONG TIME lurker here. I recently purchased a SMSL SU-9 to go along with my THX 889 > Driving Senn 800s/Arya/Ananda/M4U1/Q701/MDRV6

I get occasional static coming from my SMSL SU-9. Just to verify, I have tried the setup on another PC/optical connection to a TV/Bluetooth to a phone. I have swapped out the interconnects, headphone amp, headphone cables, and headphones. Still get a very minor static sound that I have not had on my previous few dacs.

I love the su-9 itself but clearly the static is bugging me and considering I am still within my 30 days of purchase I am going to return the item. Do I go for another SU-9 considering it ticks the boxes and perhaps I was unlucky with the unit or do I go for something with high quality parts (perhaps they cheaped out on the internals considering the price/feature ratio on the SU-9 is probably the best.)

I have been searching high and low for a quality DAC under 700$ that will last.

Any recommendations? I love having Bluetooth considering my partner likes to sit down and listen without having to go through my PC etc.

I have been strongly debating between the d70s and D1se

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
My suggestion may seem absurd, but it is based on your wide array of headphones. How about considering a $105 Qudelix 5k, having an excellent PEQ capability, bt, and a sufficient built-in amp (moreso when used balanced)?

You would use it as a front end most times to your THX889, only built-in amp and bt when situation requires.

Yes. Amir basically panned it's DAC. But as I remember from his review, noise/harmonics are still 90db down, which I find in practice to be entirely acceptable.

IMO, you will gain far more from utilizing it's PEQ to optimize each headphone than you will ever lose from the 90db SINAD...

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'd refer to the DAC review chart. Then read the review on anything you might like. Just remember that any DAC in the top one third of the chart will be a very good one. Good luck on your reading and research!

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

My suggestion may seem absurd, but it is based on your wide array of headphones. How about considering a $105 Qudelix 5k, having an excellent PEQ capability, bt, and a sufficient built-in amp (moreso when used balanced)?

You would use it as a front end most times to your THX889, only built-in amp and bt when situation requires.

Yes. Amir basically panned it's DAC. But as I remember from his review, noise/harmonics are still 90db down, which I find in practice to be entirely acceptable.

IMO, you will gain far more from utilizing it's PEQ to optimize each headphone than you will ever lose from the 90db SINAD...

Hey, thank you for the recommendation that is a DAC I have not heard of and actually just (as of 1minute ago) purchased for my office setup.

I should have specified I am also looking for a balanced XLR out considering I own arctic cables Magnus XLR interconnects (for aesthetics)

I'd refer to the DAC review chart. Then read the review on anything you might like. Just remember that any DAC in the top one third of the chart will be a very good one. Good luck on your reading and research!

I have been and with the amount of high performing DAC's it gets excessively hard to choose one. I'd prefer one with quality internals to last. I'm an industrial electrical troubleshooter and have replaced 1000s of circuit boards. Cheaper parts fail with regular use, and they are usually chinesium... Companies like Jensen and Siemens? No issues ever besides external factors.

Even my Asus Xonar Essence STX OG is still bucking after 13ish years?

I have realized the importance of a quality and long lasting dac in the sense that it is connected to 1000s of dollars worth of sound equipment downstream including a 6000$ PC which is my primary concern.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
If you have excluded all other sources of error (DAC at 100% volume?), The SU-9 could be defective.
I had it here to test it and even with the best equipment it is hardly possible to hear differences to other devices (e.g. Gustard X16 / A18, SMSL M400, or high-end Dacs for 5000, - $).
You can't say that it is static and small.

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

If you have excluded all other sources of error (DAC at 100% volume?), The SU-9 could be defective.
I had it here to test it and even with the best equipment it is hardly possible to hear differences to other devices (e.g. Gustard X16 / A18, SMSL M400, or high-end Dacs for 5000, - $).
You can't say that it is static and small.
Great to know. I believe the unit is defective. My plan at the moment seems to be to purchase a d70s or re-order another su-9. Sort of fixated on the d70s to try an AKM DAC considering it is sort of a dying breed atm.

Thanks for the input.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Sort of fixated on the d70s to try an AKM DAC considering it is sort of a dying breed atm.
For this reason I have secured one of the last black Gustard A18 MQA :cool:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Between the A18 and the D70s? No, not really. The A18 has an AK4499 chip and the D70s 2 x AK4497. The AK4499 is basically 2 x AK4497 in one housing.
But I had already written my personal recommendation in the other thread. I will also be listening to my A18 against the topping D90se in the next few weeks.

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

Between the A18 and the D70s? No, not really. The A18 has an AK4499 chip and the D70s 2 x AK4497. The AK4499 is basically 2 x AK4497 in one housing.
But I had already written my personal recommendation in the other thread. I will also be listening to my A18 against the topping D90se in the next few weeks.

Interesting. I will have to a/b my su-9 and d70s when the d70s arrives at the end of the week. I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Cisco150

What's your personal recommendation for a warm Dac between the A18, D50, D40, SU-9, DO200 etc. I have an SMSL SP200 amp with hifiman Ananda and soon some Focal Elex

Roland68

Major Contributor
What's your personal recommendation for a warm Dac between the A18, D50, D40, SU-9, DO200 etc. I have an SMSL SP200 amp with hifiman Ananda and soon some Focal Elex
A DAC should not have such a coloring and should be neutral.
I haven't listened to the D40 and DO200, but I suspect they'll be similar.
The A18 MQA (not because of MQA but because of the XMOS XU216 chip) will always get a recommendation from me. The SU-9 is good and very interesting in terms of price.
I personally don't like the D50. The sound was actually good, but it gave me a headache in the truest sense of the word. I had ordered a second device to rule out a defect, but had the same problem.
When I then discovered that only half of the AK4499 was wired in the D50, the issue was over for me.

Cisco150

The A18 MQA (not because of MQA but because of the XMOS XU216 chip) will always get a recommendation from me. The SU-9 is good and very interesting in terms of price.
I personally don't like the D50. The sound was actually good, but it gave me a headache in the truest sense of the word. I had ordered a second device to rule out a defect, but had the same problem.
When I then discovered that only half of the AK4499 was wired in the D50, the issue was

When I then discovered that only half of the AK4499 was wired in the D50, the issue was over for me.
Dame I did not know they used only half of the AK4499 On the D50. I use a motherboard gigabyte z390 master that haves a ess 9118 Sabre dac built in but I get headaches as well could it be I need a warmer or less harsh sounding Dac. I have the Hifiman Ananda but will be looking at getting Focal elex or something different then Ananda.

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

Cisco150

Where is the info they only used half of the AK4499. I'm looking at the vmv d1se and the su-9 or the DO200.. I thought the d50 had a less harsh sound.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.
A well designed, contemporary dac will not be warm or cold or harsh or brittle. Your ears or brain is likely the cause of anything you think you hear from the dacs you have listed.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Where is the info they only used half of the AK4499. I'm looking at the vmv d1se and the su-9 or the DO200.. I thought the d50 had a less harsh sound.
Just search google for an image of the D50 circuit board and you can see that one side of the chip is missing all the necessary components. I was so amazed that I even looked under the board, but the required capacitors wouldn't have fit there either.
They just use 2 channels of the AK4499.
Also a possibility :facepalm:

Top Bottom