• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You are the reviewer, not me. You are posting otherwise excellent content, apart for the most important part: Do they meet their rated specifications?

And, if a speaker fails when you review it, call it out, have it repaired/replaced by the manufacturer as they are required to do and write about the experience. That's the way proper reviewing has been done for many decades. How often have you read about an amplifier that blew up when being tested and a second sample was sought which blew up too? Quite often.

Be brave. Test your speakers in accordance with their rated power. :)

I am the reviewer, sure. But I also didn't make a stink about this and I'm not spending other people's money for them. You are welcome to test this yourself. Otherwise, you're likely gonna be SOL with me doing it. Unless you want to cover the cost of a replacement or you talk the mfg in to stepping up to the plate.

Until I get the speaker in my hands, I'm not worried about what-if scenarios. I just don't have the time for that shit. One day at a time, man.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This seems pretty straightforward. The reviewer is not responsible for any damage caused by performing a test that the manufacturer claims the speaker will pass. If in doubt the reviewer simply needs to document that the manufacturer approves the reviewer performing that test. If the manufacturer tells the reviewer not to perform the test that the manufacturer claims the speaker will pass then the reviewer should report that in the review.

OP
M

Mutsu

I am the reviewer, sure. But I also didn't make a stink about this and I'm not spending other people's money for them. You are welcome to test this yourself. Otherwise, you're likely gonna be SOL with me doing it. Unless you want to cover the cost of a replacement or you talk the mfg in to stepping up to the plate.

Until I get the speaker in my hands, I'm not worried about what-if scenarios. I just don't have the time for that shit. One day at a time, man.

I totally agree.

I’ll also add that considering myself a regular consumer, the rated power handling is never in my consideration when purchasing a speaker. Nor have I seen it tested for any of the speakers I’ve previously purchased.

Most speaker manufacturers don’t even the specifications for each of the drivers used in a speaker. I checked all of the manuals for my previous ones and they are not included. So it wouldn’t even be possible to speculate because the data just isn’t available.

Pushing something to it’s theoretical max is just something I’m personally not interested in. It feels like common sense not to do this. My ears are likely to blow out before most speakers anyway.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I get that the spec should be tested. I'm just not there at the moment and I've got enough on my plate that is here right now that I'm not going to waste my time arguing about superfluous specs that I can't do anything about at the moment. And until it is here, I'm not going to worry about it. If someone wants to be proactive and contact the mfg on my behalf and see what they have to say about it then that's fine. But I've spent enough time on this topic already. You can wait for me to maybe test it or you can test it yourself. That's all I've got *for now*. I know, I know, I'm the worse reviewer ever and my reviews suck... yadda yadda yadda.

OP
M

Mutsu

I get that the spec should be tested. I'm just not there at the moment and I've got enough on my plate that is here right now that I'm not going to waste my time arguing about superfluous specs that I can't do anything about at the moment. And until it is here, I'm not going to worry about it. If someone wants to be proactive and contact the mfg on my behalf and see what they have to say about it then that's fine. But I've spent enough time on this topic already. You can wait for me to maybe test it or you can test it yourself. That's all I've got *for now*. I know, I know, I'm the worse reviewer ever and my reviews suck... yadda yadda yadda.

Your reviews are great! Thank you for all the hard work!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As op, can I please suggest that anyone who wants to talk about power handling to start another thread. This has been off the topic of impressions of the actual speaker itself for a while now.

It's right on topic.

Your thread is posted here:
1630372570856.png

Speaker Reviews, measurements and discussion- that's what we do here. :)

McFly

Your speakers power handling is being reviewed.

Do you have any subjective reviews, or more to the point, any complaints or weaknesses you can hear in the speaker? The driver combination of done right and in the right room should be just about perfect 40hz to 20khz. Maybe a slight recess to to vocals due to some sound power loss around crossover?

OP
M

Mutsu

Your speakers power handling is being reviewed.

Do you have any subjective reviews, or more to the point, any complaints or weaknesses you can hear in the speaker? The driver combination of done right and in the right room should be just about perfect 40hz to 20khz. Maybe a slight recess to to vocals due to some sound power loss around crossover?

No complaints so far. Subjectively it’s an upgrade to my previous speakers in every way. I don’t notice any dip, I’ll be able to see if there is anything significant in my room when I am able measure hopefully in a few days.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No complaints so far. Subjectively it’s an upgrade to my previous speakers in every way.

That's great, I hope you have many years of enjoyment from them. They certainly are attractive in the solid timber. :)

OP
M

Mutsu

For anyone interested, here is my in room measurement as promised.

As mentioned before, my room is untreated, it's a very strange shape, one speaker is very close to a wall while the other has a large open space to the side of it. No EQ.

This left and right speakers measured independently at the listening position, averaged and the result smoothed 1/6.

measurement1.png

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This left and right speakers measured independently at the listening position, averaged and the result smoothed 1/6.
Thank you for your efforts. It is more meaningful not to add up the MMM measurements of the left and right speaker at the listening position.

If the individual measurements of the left and right LS confirm the in-room response shown above, then you can be very happy ;)

McFly

Promising sound power results

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Yeah, an MMM would give you a more realistic picture of the average response. It's very easy and quick to perform -- just search for the keywords "MMM" or "moving mic method" and "video" here in the forum or alternatively on youtube.

OP
M

Mutsu

Thank you for your efforts. It is more meaningful not to add up the MMM measurements of the left and right speaker at the listening position.

If the individual measurements of the left and right LS confirm the in-room response shown above, then you can be very happy ;)

Left and right speaker in the lower frequencies are a bit different, but it's to be expected in my room.

Yeah, an MMM would give you a more realistic picture of the average response. It's very easy and quick to perform -- just search for the keywords "MMM" or "moving mic method" and "video" here in the forum or alternatively on youtube.

I'll give the MMM a go as soon as I have chance - I need to be a bit careful with doing measurements as it really disturbs my dog and effects him for the rest of the day.

jtgofish

Many well built modern tweeters will be able to handle a 1500 Hz crossover.Plenty of mainstream makers cross over their tweeters that low.JBL in their Studio 590/580 series for example.Many of the Satori tweeters can be crossed at 1500hz .

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this request is just for my curiosity, but only if possible would you please share the Fq response by the "cumulative white noise averaging" method at your listening position, L only, R only and L+R?

Just for your reference, you may find here the Fq response shape of my latest system configuration measured by the "cumulative white noise averaging" at my listening position, and I am really interested in possible addition of Sointuba in my audio system, hopefully to be physically set on the sub-woofer YAMAHA YST-SW1000.

OP
M

Mutsu

Maybe this request is just for my curiosity, but only if possible would you please share the Fq response by the "cumulative white noise averaging" method at your listening position, L only, R only and L+R?

Just for your reference, you may find here the Fq response shape of my latest system configuration measured by the "cumulative white noise averaging" at my listening position, and I am really interested in possible addition of Sointuba in my audio system, hopefully to be physically set on the sub-woofer YAMAHA YST-SW1000.

Is it relatively quick and easy to do? I took a scan through your linked article but couldn't tell exactly how to do this.

Should I just do this the same way as the MMM but instead of pink noise, use white noise?

Your FQ response at your listening position looks impressive btw.

Thanks

Top Bottom