• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 Review (Headphone Amp)

DSS

This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping L50 balanced (input) headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $229. It will be announced shortly.

The industrial design of the L50 is different than older models with a plexiglass front:

View attachment 150530

While I like the red accent on the volume control knob, the contrast is low on the labels to read them easily. There is a plastic cover that has duplicate labels on it which are more legible. Fortunately there is not a whole lot here to remember as to need the labels.

The back side and power supply show more of a departure:
View attachment 150531

Instead of the usual switching power supply we now have a beefy AC transformer. As I have noted before, AC input makes it easier to generate positive and negative rails for the amplifier so I can see the motivation. Then again, the transformer is inefficient and quite large.

Up on top you see a connector you don't normally see on a pure analog amplifier: the USB-C for firmware upgrades! A supervisory processor handles protection which can be reprogrammed as needed. Indeed, during testing I pushed the unit hard with 12 ohm load well into clipping and it shut down with a sequence of LED lights. Once it cooled a bit, it enabled the device to function again.

The other change which we have seen recently from Topping is use of 1/4 inch input for balanced interconnections. They take up a lot less space than XLR so you can have the same rich set of connectivity including pre-amp in this small enclosure. 1/4 balanced is extremely popular in pro audio so there is plenty of cables and adapters for it if you are not situated currently to use them. And I believe a set of adapters come with the unit.

Topping L50 Measurements
There are many combinations here to test so I limited the input to balanced but measured both balanced and unbalanced headphone output. Let's start with balanced input:

View attachment 150532

And now RCA In:

View attachment 150562

Exceptional performance yet again, almost in the top position of our rankings for SINAD:

View attachment 150563

Here are our noise specs which are stellar:

View attachment 150535

This is what great SINAD does for you at the top of the class: incredibly low noise where you need it with sensitive IEMs:

View attachment 150536

Anyone who says SINAD is not important doesn't understand this dynamic, pun intended.

Frequency response is flat of course to beyond what we need:

View attachment 150537

The main business of a headphone amp is producing power though to drive more difficult headphones. So let's test that with 300 ohm load:
View attachment 150580

My standard for power output is 100 milliwatts and the L50 sails way past that which is great.

Let's switch to other extreme with 32 ohm load, emphasizing current delivery as opposed to voltage:

View attachment 150581

This is a ton of power coming out of this little box.

Sweeping the load and measuring power we get:
View attachment 150542

The main difference here compared to bigger brothers is that it clips with higher impedances whereas they don't. Up to nearly 7 volts there is no load dependency.

Finally here is our channel matching which is excellent for an analog control:
View attachment 150543

As usual your mileage may vary.

Listening Tests
Surprise, surprise, the L50 aces my subjective tests. What can I say. Whether I used the Sennheiser HD650 or Drop Ether CX, there was incredibly clarity, detail, authoritative bass, etc. My ears would scream before the amplifier even got barely unhappy as far as volume.

Conclusions
Hit after hit is the expression that always comes to mind when testing Topping products. Engineering done properly would be another saying. Compare this to many high-end products which barely get verified at all to see if they are what they think they are (transparent and well engineered). We do have some departure in form factor and functionality most of which are positive in my view. You get more choices and more to decide. :)

It is my pleasure to recommend the Topping L50.

Note: I have no commercial connection of any sort of shape with Topping or any other company for that matter. Don't spread rumors otherwise or I will personally show up and whack you in the back of the head! :) Many companies send me products and when they perform this well, they get my accolades.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Please whack me in the neck. To avoid any rumour you'de better don't review two of their product in a row (so far the only one online as far google told me) and keep it 3 days on top of the review page. Of course nobody has any clue about what is really going on but if I was you and stating the above note I would avoid anything that could smell .... Just my two cents.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please whack me in the neck. To avoid any rumour you'de better don't review two of their product in a row (so far the only one online as far google told me) and keep it 3 days on top of the review page. Of course nobody has any clue about what is really going on but if I was you and stating the above note I would avoid anything that could smell .... Just my two cents.
台式设备 归档 | L7Audiolab The reviews of these Topping products here in fact predates ASR's. I was actually wondering when they would show up when they did

elole

Does anyone know how does the low gain for L50 compared to the negative gain of IEMagni in terms of how much I can turn the volume knob for sensitive iems? I assume it correlates to the max power on each of their low gain? (which I'm not sure how to read from the graph)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Does anyone know how does the low gain for L50 compared to the negative gain of IEMagni in terms of how much I can turn the volume knob for sensitive iems? I assume it correlates to the max power on each of their low gain? (which I'm not sure how to read from the graph)
I'm pretty sure you will be using sensitive IEM with L50 very comfortably.

elole

I'm pretty sure you will be using sensitive IEM with L50 very comfortably.
Thanks! Just to confirm, does this statement also apply to the balanced XLR output for iems?

edit: nvm, I saw a comment that both outputs have same power

Last edited:

Muath

How does this compare to Schiit Asgard 3? I'm really hesitating to choose between them

Giangi71

Which kind of power supply do you suggest instead of stock? Thanks

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
@amirm thank you very much for this review.

@Topping, please enter the Audio & Video Receiver /Audio & Video Processor market!! or at least the multichannel DAC market!
It’s tantalizing to think what they might be able to bring to market in the sub $2000 range.

Giangi71

It's highly not recommended to use any aftermarket power supply.
Sure, ok. Could I connect the E50 to L50 via 6.3 balanced, balanced speakers to 6.3 passtrough L50 and subwoofer in RCA SE passtrough L50? In that way, how could I set the E50 fixed or variable? Thanks a lot

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sure, ok. Could I connect the E50 to L50 via 6.3 balanced, balanced speakers to 6.3 passtrough L50 and subwoofer in RCA SE passtrough L50? In that way, how could I set the E50 fixed or variable? Thanks a lot
Passthrough means it's fixed only.
In order to use SE passthrough, you need to also connect SE input with the DAC output. So both RCA and TRS are needed to be connected between the dac and the L50.

raif71

Major Contributor
My plan is to use D10b with L50 and use it solely for headphone amp. I won't be using the L50 passthrough to powered speakers as I don't want to mess around the volume at the back of the speakers. I wish that L50 had preamp capability like L30 but it is what it is.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My plan is to use D10b with L50 and use it solely for headphone amp. I won't be using the L50 passthrough to powered speakers as I don't want to mess around the volume at the back of the speakers. I wish that L50 had preamp capability like L30 but it is what it is.
My requirements are similar. In one room I have a RPi, D10b and power amps; in another I will have a RPi, DAC, and L50 (waiting for the L50 to arrive). I toyed with getting the E50 but will probably go for another D10B. I have a Khadas Tone Board I can use in the interim.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
L50 is basically a cost down version of A30pro. There are two reason for no preamp for L50. One is that the amplifier is single ended. So to output a balanced output you either need to convert again or use some trick to do the balanced output without differential signalling. The second thing is that there's not enough space on the front panel for another switch like a90. There are some ways that can do all these but at a higher cost :)

Top Bottom