• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

GPeaslee

My understanding is they revised the current DAC to get better performance and those are already in production. Units with the improved performance I don't think are in the U.S. distribution yet. I asked Trinnov support and they said to work with your dealer if you want to be certain you have the improved version. I was also told that serial numbers starting with below will have the tweaked DAC for better performance.
Altitude 16- 1308
Altitude 32- 1390

This information is incorrect. I recently purchased an Altitude 16 (S/N 1279). My dealer checked with Trinnov and was told that my unit has the DAC upgrade.

Reactions: TGB

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This information is incorrect. I recently purchased an Altitude 16 (S/N 1279). My dealer checked with Trinnov and was told that my unit has the DAC upgrade.
I got that directly from Trinnov Support (Antoine). Sorry if it isn’t correct.. was just passing along exactly what I was told when enquiring. I had one on order and was waiting for the shipment to get to the U.S. I changed my mind and went with Storm MK2 instead so haven’t followed up any further.

laidick

Forum Donor
I got that directly from Trinnov Support (Antoine). Sorry if it isn’t correct.. was just passing along exactly what I was told when enquiring. I had one on order and was waiting for the shipment to get to the U.S. I changed my mind and went with Storm MK2 instead so haven’t followed up any further.
Hi,
Just curious what makes you change to Storm? How do you compare them?
I am also struggling...

Thanks!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I am also struggling...

Thanks!
It was a tough choice...
-I was familiar with Dirac, so it would be less of a learning curve
-The Altitute just seemed probably best to have an installer do it and I wanted to do the setup myself
-Dirac Live bass control. I don’t think Trinnov has anything like this yet to automatically blend the crossover between mains/subs
-The I wanted more than 16 channels but didn’t wan’t to go with he ALT32 so I added an additional 8 channels to the MK2.
-Multizone support. I have 3 zones and the Storm will be able to do that.
-The menu is very well laid out and the Altitude has so many options. It is really very clear and straight forward to use
-REW import for EQ. I can take EQ filters based on Amir’s or others speaker measurements and import them directly into the Storm. Fun to experiment with.
-New up mixer is coming as well as 3D mapping this year
I was all set to get an Altitude but the Pros for the MK2 in my case swayed me but I went back and forth many times

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a tough choice...
-I was familiar with Dirac, so it would be less of a learning curve
-The Altitute just seemed probably best to have an installer do it and I wanted to do the setup myself
-Dirac Live bass control. I don’t think Trinnov has anything like this yet to automatically blend the crossover between mains/subs
-The I wanted more than 16 channels but didn’t wan’t to go with he ALT32 so I added an additional 8 channels to the MK2.
-Multizone support. I have 3 zones and the Storm will be able to do that.
-The menu is very well laid out and the Altitude has so many options. It is really very clear and straight forward to use
-REW import for EQ. I can take EQ filters based on Amir’s or others speaker measurements and import them directly into the Storm. Fun to experiment with.
-New up mixer is coming as well as 3D mapping this year
I was all set to get an Altitude but the Pros for the MK2 in my case swayed me but I went back and forth many times

Is it 8K/HDMI 2.1 ready?

TGB

Is anything really HDMI 2.1 still? 48Gbps. Most seems to be HDMI 2.0 with some HDMI 2.1 features.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
HDMI 2.1 does not offer much for most of us, and there is little or no 8K content yet, so... Personally in my setup, with a 65" screen about 8' away, the biggest improvement from 4K was HDR, ot the higher pixel count.

YMMV - Don

mant

Hi,
I am also struggling...

Thanks!
I was also able to test Storm and Trinnov at home and I also chose Storm. I was convinced by the ease of use, the reliability and the possibility to upgrade digital outputs to Storm. Dirac-BM would still be a reason for me to work with the Storm.

TGB

Dirac vs Optimizer? Don't think they are one the same level regarding what they do. Nothing wrong with Dirac (it is the 2nd best thing out there), but the Trinnov Optimizer is in a completely different league (the system knows where in your room each speaker is located; in 3D).

laidick

Forum Donor
Dirac vs Optimizer? Don't think they are one the same level regarding what they do. Nothing wrong with Dirac (it is the 2nd best thing out there), but the Trinnov Optimizer is in a completely different league (the system knows where in your room each speaker is located; in 3D).

Sorry for few more questions.

So Optimizer is way better (in terms of flexibility) than Dirac?

Does it use FIR or IIR filter , and adjust not just frequency domain but also time domain?

Does Alt16 support digital output for just the LR channel?

Thanks

TGB

So Optimizer is way better (in terms of flexibility) than Dirac?
Yes!
Does it use FIR or IIR filter , and adjust not just frequency domain but also time domain?
Yes! It supports both FIR and IIR, you can adjust how these are used, including bunch of configurations on how it works. It of course handled time domain as well.
Does Alt16 support digital output for just the LR channel?
Altitude16 does support digital out for 2 channels (which channels is up to you), but it also include the AES67, which is planned to be added support for by end of year. This will give digital out (and in) over "ethernet" for all channels (this is a software update, hardware stays the same).

Last edited:

hmt

One another question: How does trinnov handle multiple Subs?

TGB

One another question: How does trinnov handle multiple Subs?
In any setup you want. Either individually, multiple groups or all in one group. Completely up to what you want. Bass management is also extremely flexible covering all scenarios according to what you prefer.

I have set up LFE to all my 4 subs; located in front left + right, and rear left + right. Bass management for all left side speakers using subs on left side of the room, and all right side speakers to right side subs (front and rear) - center channels uses all subs. Also crossover from ceiling speakers to closes floor speaker which again crossover to subs according to my setup. Here you can do exactly what you want, but I found my setup works fine for my room, also this keeps the stereo perspective for low frequencies to subs below 80 Hz when playing stereo in 2.4 setup. I know some people have 12 or 16 subs in their setup, I currently only have 4.

You can of course set up different presets for your needs (so no need to stick with one setup). You can set up multiple and switch between them quickly (or assign a preset to a specific input/source).

Trinnov also work on other improvements. Some hints can be found here:
https://www.trinnov.com/en/blog/posts/the-altitude-platform-advances-in-2021/

Last edited:

laidick

Forum Donor
Yes!

Yes! It supports both FIR and IIR, you can adjust how these are used, including bunch of configurations on how it works. It of course handled time domain as well.

Altitude16 does support digital out for 2 channels (which channels is up to you), but it also include the AES67, which is planned to be added support for by end of year. This will give digital out (and in) over "ethernet" for all channels (this is a software update, hardware stays the same).

Wow, if it can output all channel via AES67 this is perfect.

Thanks!

Does optimizer automatically integrate multiple subwoofers (I have 4) or I need to integrate them into 1 LFE channel first?

laidick

Forum Donor
Oh sorry, seems my question has already been answered above.
Thanks.

hmt

In any setup you want. Either individually, multiple groups or all in one group. Completely up to what you want. Bass management is also extremely flexible covering all scenarios according to what you prefer.

I have set up LFE to all my 4 subs; located in front left + right, and rear left + right. Bass management for all left side speakers using subs on left side of the room, and all right side speakers to right side subs (front and rear) - center channels uses all subs. Also crossover from ceiling speakers to closes floor speaker which again crossover to subs according to my setup. Here you can do exactly what you want, but I found my setup works fine for my room, also this keeps the stereo perspective for low frequencies to subs below 80 Hz when playing stereo in 2.4 setup. I know some people have 12 or 16 subs in their setup, I currently only have 4.

You can of course set up different presets for your needs (so no need to stick with one setup). You can set up multiple and switch between them quickly (or assign a preset to a specific input/source).

Trinnov also work on other improvements. Some hints can be found here:
https://www.trinnov.com/en/blog/posts/the-altitude-platform-advances-in-2021/

But what about the optimization of multiple subs? For example something like DLBC, Harman Sound Field Management or the usage of MSO (multi sub optimizer)? At the Moment I use an optimization via MSO and a MiniDSP 2X4HD.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
But what about the optimization of multiple subs? For example something like DLBC, Harman Sound Field Management or the usage of MSO (multi sub optimizer)? At the Moment I use an optimization via MSO and a MiniDSP 2X4HD.

They don't really talk about exactly how they handle multiple subs AFAIK. They mentioned some white papers in webinars but I've not requested them and suspect they do not have a whole lot of detail either (proprietary algorithms). I have four subs plumbed into mine and it does OK.

If you have a JBL Synthesis unit your dealer can set you up to get Harman's SFM. If you want to use MSO you can either take the measurements, run the program, and manually enter the filter coefficients into the JBL/Trinnov; or, buy a miniDSP and use that. DLBC requires DL so you'd have to buy an outboard unit for that, either a miniDSP or get the SW version on a PC.

I am planning, someday, to try SFM and MSO, but never seem to have the time. It doesn't help that a Windows update a year or so ago "broke" my REQ ASIO driver and I have not gotten around to fixing/updating it. Life and work been pretty crazy...

Blackdevil77

They don't really talk about exactly how they handle multiple subs AFAIK. They mentioned some white papers in webinars but I've not requested them and suspect they do not have a whole lot of detail either (proprietary algorithms). I have four subs plumbed into mine and it does OK.

If you have a JBL Synthesis unit your dealer can set you up to get Harman's SFM. If you want to use MSO you can either take the measurements, run the program, and manually enter the filter coefficients into the JBL/Trinnov; or, buy a miniDSP and use that. DLBC requires DL so you'd have to buy an outboard unit for that, either a miniDSP or get the SW version on a PC.

I am planning, someday, to try SFM and MSO, but never seem to have the time. It doesn't help that a Windows update a year or so ago "broke" my REQ ASIO driver and I have not gotten around to fixing/updating it. Life and work been pretty crazy...

I have 4 subs in 4 locations in my room and used MSO to achieve the best most consistent seat to seat frequency response possible. What it achieved in my room is nothing short of a miracle. It down right works. You just have to set MSO up properly before running it. Don’t allow it to go crazy with delays and eq cuts, set limits and the result will likely be fantastic.

zorax2

I believe Trinnov suggested / hinted in one of their webinars that improvements to the Trinnov Optimizer will be released this Fall with improved bass optimization.

Top Bottom