• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic 2018 flagship UB9000 Blu-ray player launching at Value Electronics

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Have you heard "Automatic for the People" in Atmos?
I'd love to hear something done in atmos! But with the selling price running around $100 for music I'm not fond of :(
Just checked Netflix, they don't rent it.
Oh well.

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
Pioneer is jumping into the high-end BD player market with the UDP-LX500. Launching in the USA early October for $999 and supporting SACD. No balanced XLR audio outputs like Panasonic's new flagship UB9000.

Here's a picture of the LX500 and here's our dedicated web page with more details.

Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pioneer is jumping into the high-end BD player market with the UDP-LX500. Launching in the USA early October for $999 and supporting SACD. No balanced XLR audio outputs like Panasonic's new flagship UB9000.

Here's a picture of the LX500 and here's our dedicated web page with more details.

View attachment 14006
What the heck is a.
“Zero Signal” reference terminal for ultimate video / audio signal transmission
????o_O:D

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
First time I've heard of "Zero Signal". I assume they mean "Zero Ground Noise".

I was also sent a wiring diagram that shows a heavy gauge single conductor ground wire connected from Pioneer's UDP-LX500 "Zero Signal" reference terminal to the ground terminal of the audio receiver and of course the normal HDMI cable.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm guessing it is just a ground terminal so you can ground to other devices or implement a star grounding scheme. We can debate if it helps, or if it should even be needed...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm guessing it is just a ground terminal so you can ground to other devices or implement a star grounding scheme. We can debate if it helps, or if it should even be needed...
I agree, I asked as a pot stirrer to see what comments would be made. Looks like they are simply using a RCA plug minus any center conductor as a way to distribute the ground. But as a uneducated dunce in EE it just looks to me as a good way to induce a loop?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like they are simply using a RCA plug minus any center conductor as a way to distribute the ground.

Consider the Panasonic in this thread is double insulated and not earthed. The Pioneer is likely the same (2 pin IEC). Chassis often are floating with nuisance buzzes (felt) when touching the extruded panels. I'd consider that using the shield of HDMI cables is not really good enough to pull multiple pieces of gear down to 0v these days, particularly when they are mostly floating and use HF SMPS supplies.

I think they are having video glitches from ground noise at these ultra high speed data rates for 4K processing and they've worked out that a decent earth would possibly minimise that issue, especially where multiple pieces of gear are all connected together.

If they went back to effective chassis earthing on all gear, this 'idea' wouldn't be needed at all.

Or else, they are going to market a special 'Super grain-oriented linear crystal oxygen free hand woven mega ground cable clad with Japanese bamboo fibre covering' for several hundred dollars as an accessory.

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
Well, I am very happy to report that we'll be bring in the DP-UB9000 for USA distribution!

Panasonic confirmed my 1st and 2nd allocations for the UB9000! Early December for the 1st allotment and one month later for each additional shipment.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Well, I am very happy to report that we'll be bring in the DP-UB9000 for USA distribution!

Panasonic confirmed my 1st and 2nd allocations for the UB9000! Early December for the 1st allotment and one month later for each additional shipment.
Measurements?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Wow, that is very awesome news Robert. Best news today. :cool:

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
I assume you are referring to the a/v output measurements, but just in case you or anyone is interested here's the physical dimensions.

16 7/8" wide x 13" deep x 3" high. I only have an engineering production unit, but one mass production arrives I'll be shipping one to Amir for testing.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It is very nice to see players like the Panasonic 9000 available in the USA.
In particular after Oppo Digital's departure.

The Panasonic 820, the Pioneer 500, the Sony 800, ...all great players filling the gaps.
The world is not such a bad place to live after all. :)

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
1st two USA shipments of UB9000s are sold out and we are now accepting reservations for the February allocation.

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
Thanks for the reminder, I will do that once more inventory becomes available.

Panasonic builds the UB9000 in a new factory that is designed with mostly hand production to help ensure the quality standards, but unfortunately the low production and high demand have created a backlog of orders.

Here's some new noteworthy information on a quietly announced collaboration between JVC and Panasonic engineers to develop a new communications modes specifically designed to exploit all of the HDR and WCG elements of the disc or streaming of HDR content when paired with any one of JVC's new 2019 projectors, e.g. NX5, NX7 or NX9.

- Here's the link to Value Electronics press release about our demonstration of the UB9000 and NX9 projector to show off the exceptional image quality of this new collaboration of these two great companies.

- Here's an HDGURU article that references Panasonic's announcement of Panasonic's partnership with JVC to develop a priority interface.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

View attachment 14006

Given the ability to download / stream 4K movies, is there any performance reason to own physical discs?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Given the ability to download / stream 4K movies, is there any performance reason to own physical discs?
The encoded data rate for UHD Blu-ray is far higher than download/streaming services. This should give it better fidelity during motion sequences and depending on encoding, sharper images. Some of the 4K streaming content I have seen from Netflix and such were actually worse than Blu-ray at 1080p!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The encoded data rate for UHD Blu-ray is far higher than download/streaming services. This should give it better fidelity during motion sequences and depending on encoding, sharper images. Some of the 4K streaming content I have seen from Netflix and such were actually worse than Blu-ray at 1080p!

Also no one is streaming the audio in the lossless Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master formats that comes on BD
Best I know of being used to stream audio is the highly compressed Dolby Digital Plus
So what would you prefer, MP3 or 24/96 High Def sound?

Top Bottom