• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

OP
B

billdylan

Sorry to hear about your unit. I have mine which is an older version but then I only use the usb input... :)
Thanks RAIF...Its a Good Machine indeed If not using the Coaxial.A real Shame it sounded like a real winner.
And I'm Sure its a great buy If You Use It With the USB input its a fine USB DAC as Many testify
Good to Have a Laugh ..Always Loved a Bit Of George in the 80's ...killer Bass player Deon Estes in the wham band

zombiebrains2

"The problem is solely via the coaxial input."

Hi Billdylan, actually in my testing the whole spdif receiver is affected including the optical in on the newer e30, sound drop outs.
Example my Pioneer stable platter CD Player from the 90's has the issue via optical out. The spdif receiver dates from 2007 not 2002 as mentioned by another here.

OP
B

billdylan

Hey Mr Zombie.

Thanks for correcting my mistake....The optical did not work either on the one CD player that had both Coaxial and optical inputs that i tried ...None really worked either way .It kind of became a blur of skipping cds whatever the CD or DVD player used

i guess If New purchasers now know ( what it would have been really helpful for us to have known when purchasing ) they can make a decision as to whether they want to use it solely a USB DAC or Buy something Else or,as i have been told on the site , " take a chance" with it.

Remember there's plenty more fish in the sea as they say, and some can even swim !!

Even though Topping now don't recommend the E30 be used via coaxial or optical with CD players they did sell it as supposedly having this fairly standard ability for a DAC until days ago. That doesn't really do much for the increasing numbers that bought the E30 in good faith

Perhaps someone such as JohnYang, who is intimately connected with Topping might consider representing the Site members deserted ( in a polite way ) by Topping to help organise a replacement model from the range that hopefully doesn't have this problem .surely other models must work with coaxial or optical ?

That would be be great public relations coup, having one of its product designers step up to help Topping Come out of this as a responsible trustworthy Company, one with integrity whatever problems arise.

Ah ..It's nice to dream. A fantasy of course

Take it easy Mr Zombie

Regards ..Bill

Last edited:

Swtoby

Hey Mr Zombie.

Thanks for correcting my mistake....The optical did not work either on the one CD player that had both Coaxial and optical inputs that i tried ...None really worked either way .It kind of became a blur of skipping cds whatever the CD or DVD player used

i guess If New purchasers now know ( what it would have been really helpful for us to have known when purchasing ) they can make a decision as to whether they want to use it solely a USB DAC or Buy something Else or,as i have been told on the site , " take a chance" with it.

Remember there's plenty more fish in the sea as they say, and some can even swim !!

Even though Topping now don't recommend the E30 be used via coaxial or optical with CD players they did sell it as supposedly having this fairly standard ability for a DAC until days ago. That doesn't really do much for the increasing numbers that bought the E30 in good faith

Perhaps someone such as JohnYang, who is intimately connected with Topping might consider representing the Site members deserted ( in a polite way ) by Topping to help organise a replacement model from the range that hopefully doesn't have this problem .surely other models must work with coaxial or optical ?

That would be be great public relations coup, having one of its product designers step up to help Topping Come out of this as a responsible trustworthy Company, one with integrity whatever problems arise.

Ah ..It's nice to dream. A fantasy of course

Take it easy Mr Zombie

Regards ..Bill
Thanks for bringing this issue to light, billdylan, especially when you hit opposition. It has helped me as I had considered this unit myself, but not now. That's a major liability if the E30 is glitchy on its spdif inputs. It's never fun when stuff like you experienced happens.

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks for bringing this issue to light, billdylan, especially when you hit opposition. It has helped me as I had considered this unit myself, but not now. That's a major liability if the E30 is glitchy on its spdif inputs. It's never fun when stuff like you experienced happens.
Hi SwToby.

To be honest it hasn't been a lot of fun at Times.

Thanks so much for your supportive comments they are very much appreciated .

Bill

martytoo

Here are the 3 players that I used with the E30 that caused drop outs.

Kenwood DP R6080 a 5 disc CD changer with optical output
Pioneer DVR-220 a DVD recorder with optical output
Sony DVP-NS300 a DVD player with optical and coaxial outputs that so far I have used only on the coaxial side.

The Sony was bought by me to test coax with the E30. I then also bought a different cable to make sure the cable was not the issue.

Yesterday I used the Pioneer to feed the Songbird and the Songbird to feed the E30. As I had hoped this caused the dropouts to disappear. I plan to do an A-B comparison of the Songbird out audio vs the E30 audio out in this configuration. I didn't have the time to both listen at length for dropout trouble and set up the Songbird on another audio input to my system.

I was curious as to what you planned to do with the list of my 3 E30 incompatible players. I reread your original request and I now understand. But to do that you or Amir would also have to buy or borrow one of the offending E30 units. Kudos if you are able to do this.

I had to dive into the menu of the Sony DVP-NS300 to get the audio out on the optical working. I am not sure why it didn't work when I first tried it but I chose to reset everything and make a couple of other changes and it then worked. It skipped (as did the coaxial out) but when sent from the optical out to the Songbird and then to the E30 it was great. I enjoyed the sound more than another Sony CD player that I own as I think the trumpets, for example, sounded more lifelike with the E30 in the line.

When using vintage gear with fewer input jacks the use of the Songbird as a switch center of sorts for digital inputs is an easy way to deal with the skipping issue. It also gives me another volume control should I choose to turn the pre-amp function off on the E30.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I tested my recently bought topping E30 with spotify over an old Chromecast Audio dongle via optical. Sounded good in both DAC and Pre-amp mode. No skips, pops or other anomalies. Didn't test coax or USB though. I guess CD players are even older than chromecast audio heheh.

martytoo

Hello billdylan,

I am 'zombiebrains' I can't gain access to my new account for some reason so I will try to assist here. I am raw new and just spotted your comments on your E30 issue recently by chance. Although I am aware of the issue for maybe 2 months myself as I too had this dropout sound problem on my own E30 which I bought to use with one of older CD players. In my testing with the available decks I own (had stored away etc), basically all the old CD players have an issue with the newer E30 except for the 2 Denon CD decks I have (1 of which is an old player) and a Yamaha CDS2000 all work even with a cheap coaxial/optical cable).
I also tested my old Pioneer DVD player and that has an issue but an old basic Sony bluray plays CD's no problem via coaxial into the E30. Funny thing is the player's that work sound better to me on their own rather than the E30, the exception being the bluray thing which is certainly improved by the E30 via it's coaxial input. I decided to keep the device as it sounds great over USB playing content on my PC with foobar and the correct drivers. Also I like it's display. I just wish I had the AKM older version!

Some other information I found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/o8ye2j
As for Amazon, I noticed the following written: Note: Topping Factory does not recommend connecting the E30 to the CD player as the E30 places high demands on the input of the CD player. And on most CD devices, music will stutter / skip.

user review with this sound skipping issue and: https://www.amazon.de/Topping-E30-Stereo-Digital-Audio-Decoder-Koaxialoptik-Fernbedienung-Rot/dp/B08Z7V2W2L/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=TOPPING+E30&qid=1630178337&sr=8-8&th=1

ZombieBrains,
I notice that you have listed the Yamaha CDS2000 and the Denon 800NE as CD players that work with the newer problematic E30. Can you please also list the other Denon model that works with the newer E30? I am also interested in any other CD models that work well with the recent E30 model. I would consider picking up a used CD compatible with the new E30 player if I can find one that doesn't skip. But I already made one mistake picking up a decent Sony DVD player with a coaxial output.

If anyone else reading this has found CD players that work with this DAC I would appreciate the model numbers, too.

zombiebrains2

ZombieBrains,
I notice that you have listed the Yamaha CDS2000 and the Denon 800NE as CD players that work with the newer problematic E30. Can you please also list the other Denon model that works with the newer E30? I am also interested in any other CD models that work well with the recent E30 model. I would consider picking up a used CD compatible with the new E30 player if I can find one that doesn't skip. But I already made one mistake picking up a decent Sony DVD player with a coaxial output.

If anyone else reading this has found CD players that work with this DAC I would appreciate the model numbers, too.

Hello,

My older Denon DCD 1015 with a tray open/close issue worked with e30. I had no intention of using any of my older decks except for my Pioneer s07 as it loads TOC on CDs lightening fast but this has skip issues. The spdif on the newer e30 is also mentioned on other Topping model as mentioned in the video link I posted earlier. The guy/reviewer here had skip issue (with the newish and highly rated Audiolab 6000 transport) which in this case only digital out! It had audio dropout on the same spdif chip as E30 but he fiddled with cables and got it working but wouldn't recommend buying it as this dropout could happen again. But in another review link I posted above, another user with the same Audiolab transport had skip issues this time with the e30, apparently still unresolved. This makes think that if a certain CD player works for me it may not work for you.

Finally as I said earlier the player's that did work with the e30 I own and don't use them with e30, sound better to my ears connected to same amp than hooked up to the e30, I used coaxial out on 800NE into e30 (then RCA into amp with dac) and RCA out of same player directly into my amp that has a dac and I prefer the onboard 800NE dac sound. That's my preference anyway, it was easy to switch between the two.

Thanks and good luck with your testing, I have zero interest in continuing this thread and the e30. I continue to use it for USB occasionally and find it excellent for this. I have borrowed a friends SMSL Sanskrit mk2 and when I have some free time will check it out with the older player's I have. I have read the review of this here too.

Z.

martytoo

Hello,

My older Denon DCD 1015 with a tray open/close issue worked with e30. I had no intention of using any of my older decks except for my Pioneer s07 as it loads TOC on CDs lightening fast but this has skip issues. The spdif on the newer e30 is also mentioned on other Topping model as mentioned in the video link I posted earlier. The guy/reviewer here had skip issue (with the newish and highly rated Audiolab 6000 transport) which in this case only digital out! It had audio dropout on the same spdif chip as E30 but he fiddled with cables and got it working but wouldn't recommend buying it as this dropout could happen again. But in another review link I posted above, another user with the same Audiolab transport had skip issues this time with the e30, apparently still unresolved. This makes think that if a certain CD player works for me it may not work for you.

Finally as I said earlier the player's that did work with the e30 I own and don't use them with e30, sound better to my ears connected to same amp than hooked up to the e30, I used coaxial out on 800NE into e30 (then RCA into amp with dac) and RCA out of same player directly into my amp that has a dac and I prefer the onboard 800NE dac sound. That's my preference anyway, it was easy to switch between the two.

Thanks and good luck with your testing, I have zero interest in continuing this thread and the e30. I continue to use it for USB occasionally and find it excellent for this. I have borrowed a friends SMSL Sanskrit mk2 and when I have some free time will check it out with the older player's I have. I have read the review of this here too.

Z.
Thanks Zombiebrains.

I noticed that the CD players that worked with the E30 for which you preferred the inboard DAC were relatively expensive machines. It is nice to know when you spend over $1000 for a Denon or Yamaha player, that you receive a quality product with a good sounding DAC. Is the DCD-1015 also an expensive unit? I don't see any on eBay at this time.

I'm lucky the E30 works with the Songbird as a spdif receiver between the players and the E30. But I am still looking for a player that is user friendly for this setup. The DVD players that I have used as less than ideal CD players when choosing tracks and such. Though I do have a Kenwood that should work with the Songbird.

zombiebrains2

martytoo,

I picked up the Denon 1015 for about 30 Euro about 2002/03, It's a cheaper 90's mid range German made unit, maybe it is a Euro only model? I hav not even used it for years anyway it has annoying tray issue of non stop open close, just pulled it out to test with the e30 and it worked. I have an older Marantz CD52MKII sideways that I use as small table lamp! It too has a tray open issue (gog wheel needs replacing) and I might test that when I can. I forgot I have a creative labs external usb soundcard box I was using few years back, it has optical in + out, I wonder if I can try feeding a skipping player into that first then into e30 as you are trying with your spare dac.

here is an ebay link for 1015 - Most in Europe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255104232756?hash=item3b6565ad34:g:UoYAAOSwnKlhIojO

martytoo

martytoo,

I picked up the Denon 1015 for about 30 Euro about 2002/03, It's a cheaper 90's mid range German made unit, maybe it is a Euro only model? I hav not even used it for years anyway it has annoying tray issue of non stop open close, just pulled it out to test with the e30 and it worked. I have an older Marantz CD52MKII sideways that I use as small table lamp! It too has a tray open issue (gog wheel needs replacing) and I might test that when I can. I forgot I have a creative labs external usb soundcard box I was using few years back, it has optical in + out, I wonder if I can try feeding a skipping player into that first then into e30 as you are trying with your spare dac.

here is an ebay link for 1015 - Most in Europe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255104232756?hash=item3b6565ad34:g:UoYAAOSwnKlhIojO

I guess I better get the squirrels moving a bit faster in their exercise wheel. I don't have 230v otherwise. Thanks for your help - I think I will look for something similar that was offered here in the US in that time frame.

OP
B

billdylan

Hello,

Z.
Thanks Buddy...

Yeah We have done our bit ..I have zero interest in continuing this thread either . People have some excellent posts on which to build their own opinion of whether the E30 is for them..

If we Start a list of the cd dvd players that don't work , and those that work with the 2021 E30, we will be here answering queries forever,

Thanks for being community minded and taking the time to post in reply to people's queries.

Take it easy

Bill

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks Buddy...

Yeah We have done our bit ..I have zero interest in continuing this thread either . People have some excellent posts on which to build their own opinion of whether the E30 is for them..

If we Start a list of the cd dvd players that don't work , and those that work with the 2021 E30, we will be here answering queries forever,

Thanks for being community minded and taking the time to post in reply to people's queries.

Take it easy

Bill
Hey Guys I

Thought I should let you know martytoo..and all other members following this post.

A fellow member on here kindly sorted an E30 model of the type sold until recently utilizing old and now superseded AK chip for me, and it arrived today

I had tried many many Cd and DVD players with the New CS chip model E30 i purchased recently.....It worked on coaxial with none of them ,(5 or 6 different sources ) ..

I Have only managed to re test 3 of them with the old model E30 I received today

1) A marantz CD 63 from the 1990s

2) a Sony dvd player. Model DVP-NS575P

3) a brand new JVC dvd player .Model XV Y360A

And ........

All 3 Play perfectly when fed into the coaxial input of the 'Old' AK chip model.

Whereas none listed above would work properly with the 'New' 2021 CS chip model that is the E30 version being sold for a few months now.

I hope this real world comparison helps in making your decision If you are considering purchasing the Topping E30 sold from all outlets now.

Thanks for your time

Bill

Last edited:

michaelc

I do not have an E30, but I can confirm the D30Pro does not work with my two old players (Toshiba CD and Philips DVD) and a new Audiolabs CDT6000 CD-Transport. All of them work flawlessly with my cheapo-DAC, AVR inputs, and a Dodge 7 DAC. So, low end to high end they all work except on the Topping product.

Initially, I supposed it was a defective unit so I returned the D30Pro for a replacement ... which performed exactly the same.

A follow up with Topping customer service gave me the same response as in this thread - incompatibility with CD digital out is not their problem.

OK.

I think they should put that disclaimer in their product description.

Michael

martytoo

I do not have an E30, but I can confirm the D30Pro does not work with my two old players (Toshiba CD and Philips DVD) and a new Audiolabs CDT6000 CD-Transport. All of them work flawlessly with my cheapo-DAC, AVR inputs, and a Dodge 7 DAC. So, low end to high end they all work except on the Topping product.

Initially, I supposed it was a defective unit so I returned the D30Pro for a replacement ... which performed exactly the same.

A follow up with Topping customer service gave me the same response as in this thread - incompatibility with CD digital out is not their problem.

OK.

I think they should put that disclaimer in their product description.

Michael
I hope you will consider buying an Andover Songbird as a CD receiver. I send the optical signal to my Songbird and then use the optical out of the Songbird into the E30.

The Songbird is a nice inexpensive streamer. It works with Spotify, Amazon Music and apps like Tunein.

If you are in the market for a streamer then the combo might be too your liking.

And I've luck using 3 different Samsung Blu-ray players with the E30. I bought one for $5 and one for $10.

gvl

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997, anything new on this? Someone tried an iFi SPDIF iPurifier in an attempt to solve a similar dropout issue albeit on another Tooping DAC, and it didn’t help. So it may not be related to incoming jitter after all.

SOULKAT

My Topping E30 Dac ( New modle with the Cyrus chip not the AKM Chip with the reverse polarity issue ) on coax to my Pioneer LX91 Blu-ray player playing CDs the sound cuts out for a second 1 to 2 to up to 3 times a track I have only just noticed it as I have never used it as a CD player ) as with Blu-ray DVDs I have not noticed it but it is really noticeable with music I will try it through the amps AV coax digital input later to see if that makes a difference

So did this issue just go away or did it just run out of steam ?

I have an E30 with the Cirrus chip & I found it's incompatibility with Cd & DVD players I already possessed deeply irritating.

However, I am able to make full use of all the inputs on my E30. Into the coax input I feed the output of a cheap second-hand (from eBay) Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray. Into the optical input I feed the Realtek Digital output of my Intel NUC.

martytoo

So did this issue just go away or did it just run out of steam ?

I have an E30 with the Cirrus chip & I found it's incompatibility with Cd & DVD players I already possessed deeply irritating.

However, I am able to make full use of all the inputs on my E30. Into the coax input I feed the output of a cheap second-hand (from eBay) Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray. Into the optical input I feed the Realtek Digital output of my Intel NUC.
There isn't much more to say. The newer version doesn't work with many CD players. The only work around I know of is to feed the CD into another device that has a digital output (like the Andover Songbird that I use). I was able to find a Denon CD player that works.

The manufacturer isn't going to fix these.

So the topic has in a sense run out of steam (or electrons? )!

Top Bottom