• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DDRC-24 - Dirac Live on a budget?

ferongr

Forum Donor
I'm looking into trying Dirac Live, and I'm looking into a cheap way of doing it. For reference, my system consists of a pair of ELAC DBR62 speakers in a nearfield configuration and a BK Electronics XLS200DF subwoofer. Speakers use an Audiophonis NC252MP amp, exclusively fed by a Topping D10 connected to a PC for playback. I'm looking into a complete solution for bass management without involving an AVR. I have a UMIK USB measurement mic

I can get a DDRC-24 for very cheap (under 300€) and I'm tempted to try it. Does the DDRC-24 come with a Dirac Live license? If yes, does that mean that I can just download the Dirac Live 3 Windows program and do all necessary measurements without any additional cost? I assume the Dirac program saves the generated filters to the DDRC unit afterwards.

If I do end up getting the DDRC, is USB or SP/DIF optical better for connecting it to the computer?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can get a DDRC-24 for very cheap (under 300€) and I'm tempted to try it. Does the DDRC-24 come with a Dirac Live license? If yes, does that mean that I can just download the Dirac Live 3 Windows program and do all necessary measurements without any additional cost? I assume the Dirac program saves the generated filters to the DDRC unit afterwards.

yes to all of these questions.

I'm looking into trying Dirac Live, and I'm looking into a cheap way of doing it. For reference, my system consists of a pair of ELAC DBR62 speakers in a nearfield configuration and a BK Electronics XLS200DF subwoofer. Speakers use an Audiophonis NC252MP amp, exclusively fed by a Topping D10 connected to a PC for playback. I'm looking into a complete solution for bass management without involving an AVR. I have a UMIK USB measurement mic

I have my own 'unique' protocol for subwoofer integration with the DDRC-24, if you decide to buy it, i can share it with you. it's super super easy.

the only negative thing is that without some extra fiddling you would have to use the DAC of the MiniDSP and retire your DAC.

However, the MiniDSP provides Stereo USB output and input, so you can theoretically take the Dirac corrected digital usb output and route it to the Topping DAC.

GimeDsp

As a ddrc-24 owner I would say don't do it for dirac.

Here are some issues, if any are wrong or changed someone can correct.
1. Proprietary "cloud based" correction and you never know what they do and there is not enough adjustability.

2. Always throws of center image and sound stage

3. always adds incorrect delay to one side other

4. Doing their multi/position measurements is a pain-if I got good results then it would be worth it.

5. I end up using REW and the mini-dsp built in EQs

6. Only has 2 channels of dirac so you will still need to EQ, xover sub with the mini DSP built in stuff.

7. Sound quality is worst of any DAC I have heard and owned

Other people say "sounds fine" so you may get lucky.

With a lot of pro gear a person must de-register it to sell it properly. It says Dirac license is embedded in hardware so should work fine.
https://support.minidsp.com/support...to-transfer-my-dirac-platform-to-a-new-owner-

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a ddrc-24 owner I would say don't do it for dirac.

Here are some issues, if any are wrong or changed someone can correct.
1. Proprietary "cloud based" correction and you never know what they do and there is not enough adjustability.

2. Always throws of center image and sound stage

3. always adds incorrect delay to one side other

4. Doing their multi/position measurements is a pain-if I got good results then it would be worth it.

5. I end up using REW and the mini-dsp built in EQs

6. Only has 2 channels of dirac so you will still need to EQ, xover sub with the mini DSP built in stuff.

7. Sound quality is worst of any DAC I have heard and owned

Other people say "sounds fine" so you may get lucky.

With a lot of pro gear a person must de-register it to sell it properly. It says Dirac license is embedded in hardware so should work fine.
https://support.minidsp.com/support...to-transfer-my-dirac-platform-to-a-new-owner-

man you must have had some really bad experience because for me Dirac sounds better than anything i can do manually with PEQ.

OP
F

ferongr

Forum Donor
Only has 2 channels of dirac

Then this is not what I'm looking for, this fact instantly disqualifies the DDRC. I want to do proper bass management with high-pass on the ELACs and low-pass on the subwoofer.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is it comes with full Dirac Live 3 2 channel license. The way Dirac works is your processor (the piece that runs the filters) will reside on the audio processor in the case the DDRC 24, while the measurement platform will reside on your PC. This enables you to have a sophisticated GUI to control measurements. After measurement is completed, it shows you what the original measurement and the what the proposed correction will do in both the frequency and phase domains, and allows you to tailor a slightly different correction curve if you like. You then save that as a "Project" to your computer's drive and move the correction curve to the miniDSP. This is accomplished via a usb connection to your computer. In the 2 x 4 HD (which I own) you are allowed four separate filter sets. Those sets not only carry Dirac Live, but also allow for 10 band parametric eq, digital crossover filters, a limiter, and the software includes a routing matrix as well. The 2 x 4 HD (which is the platform which carries the DL) will accept either USB, spidf, or analog stereo input. it outputs 4 channels of analog (hence you use it as a crossover).

A word of caution: the unit is sold in two different versions --as the 2 x r HD without Dirac, and as the DDRC 24 with Dirac License. The difference is the firmware, one version has no Dirac Processor while the other firmware version does. Franky 300 euros sounds a little low for a Dirac version, so be sure that's exactly what you are getting. Also Dirac is very particular about licenses. You have to have an account and sign in, and that's what allows you to use the product, so pls be certain if you are buying it in the used marketplace that you are getting the license key, and that Dirac will honor a license transfer, otherwise you will just be buying a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD.

GimeDsp

The ddrc-24 has 2 front ends

Dirac that has 2 channels of DSP, called dirac 1 and 2
This is the 2 input channels that feed to 4 outputs

the Mini DSP front end
4 output channels with
PEG
Xover
Limiter
Delay

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A word of caution: the unit is sold in two different versions --as the 2 x r HD without Dirac, and as the DDRC 24 with Dirac License. The difference is the firmware, one version has no Dirac Processor while the other firmware version does. Franky 300 euros sounds a little low for a Dirac version, so be sure that's exactly what you are getting. Also Dirac is very particular about licenses. You have to have an account and sign in, and that's what allows you to use the product, so pls be certain if you are buying it in the used marketplace that you are getting the license key, and that Dirac will honor a license transfer, otherwise you will just be buying a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD.

you really need just a Dirac account, which you can easily have by signing up in their website for free.

you also must have the DDRC-24 frimware installed on the 2*4HD, that's the tricky part, people only have access to the 'upgrade' if they went and validated their upgrade purchase with MiniDSP. you don't really deal with Dirac at all.

OP
F

ferongr

Forum Donor
The ddrc-24 has 2 front ends

Dirac that has 2 channels of DSP, called dirac 1 and 2
This is the 2 input channels that feed to 4 outputs

Can Dirac Live apply filters to both 4 (2 stereo) outputs? Does the 2 channel license means that it doesn't support multichannel (above 2 stereo channels) input?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can Dirac Live apply filters to both 4 (2 stereo) outputs? Does the 2 channel license means that it doesn't support multichannel (above 2 stereo channels) input?

yes that's correct, you have stereo inputs and correction, so for anything other than subwoofer integaration (2.2 setup) or an active crossover (2-way speakers) this is not the device for you.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pain jane minidsp but i assume it's like this:

2ch stereo in > dirac processor > MinDSP processor

1630434735314.png

So your Dirac processed signal then gets split with Xover to mains plus subs

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then this is not what I'm looking for, this fact instantly disqualifies the DDRC. I want to do proper bass management with high-pass on the ELACs and low-pass on the subwoofer.
If all you have are two subs, the DDRC 24 will do all that. The miniDSP software handles the crossover (both high and low pass), does 10 band parametric eq, and when that's all done you run a Dirac Live measurement and implement the correction curve to correct everything. If you are running it as a stereo crossover, it will be limited to two subwoofers. If all you wanted it for was to manage multiple subs, you could just run the low end into the DDRC (via analog in) and use the matrix to create four controllable sub channels with dac and eq. Would need a crossover for high and low pass before the DDRC in the chain, and you could still run Dirac, but corrections would be limited to low frequencies (which is how a lot of people use Dirac anyway).

GimeDsp

Dirac is global, its the 2 inputs that is before the rest of the DSP.

I am not sure is the output channels 3/4 will run during auto cal. I will hook mine up and check

OP
F

ferongr

Forum Donor
I want to manage 3 outputs, 2 outputs as stereo to my DBR62s and a mono output to my subwoofer.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok - either Y jack 2 Outs (with same program applied to both) or just use 1 out

GimeDsp

There is just no good way to use auto-cal with subs on.

1. Use auto-cal on speakers full range
2. Integrate subs like normal

Top Bottom