• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 Review (Headphone Amp)

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Thanks Amirm! Really great you got the satisfaction of testing something with superlative performance. Been a number of duds lately...
I think this is going on my Christmas list!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Edit: there was a mistake in the balanced output measurements. It is actually the same as unbalanced (XLR is for convenient then). Not sure what caused it to show up with more power earlier. While at it, I also modified the dashboard measurements for unbalanced to be RCA input. That improved performance a bit still.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks for the L50 review. I suppose E50 is next in line. Did you notice the L50 casing warm/hot to touch while testing, @amirm ?

L-Train

Amazing performance with unbalanced RCA input as well. Thanks for measuring it! If the balanced XLR in -> unbalanced 1/4" out dashboard measurements weren't suspect then I think it's worth keeping in the review for completeness.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Amazing performance with unbalanced RCA input as well. Thanks for measuring it! If the balanced XLR in -> unbalanced 1/4" out dashboard measurements weren't suspect then I think it's worth keeping in the review for completeness.
The two outputs are the same.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything so perfect until I see non-perfect channel balance.
I assume you are joking.

The channel balance is 0dB up to -20dB output level. It deviates just -0.5dB at -40dB output level. Below that level any difference will be inaudible.

Leiker535

Edit: there was a mistake in the balanced output measurements. It is actually the same as unbalanced (XLR is for convenient then). Not sure what caused it to show up with more power earlier. While at it, I also modified the dashboard measurements for unbalanced to be RCA input. That improved performance a bit still.

That is actually an extra in my book, as most headphones are not balanced and the XLR is very bulky.

I do wonder how similar the circuit design is to the A30 Pro though, I'm getting similar vibes here.

Also, following the L30 incident, I suspect this is already tested for static buildup and discharge, but is there any further confirmation on that? And out of curiosity, how is the spec @600 ohm, is it 81mW (I'm way behind my school days)?

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Such incredible performance, glad topping did it again! I am wondering how come there is analog volume control that can be so good, it is super close to perfect if not turning all the way. Is there new good pot coming out or this pot is just the best one from the bunch?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That is actually an extra in my book, as most headphones are not balanced and the XLR is very bulky.

I do wonder how similar the circuit design is to the A30 Pro though, I'm getting similar vibes here.

Also, following the L30 incident, I suspect this is already tested for static buildup and discharge, but is there any further confirmation on that? And out of curiosity, how is the spec @600 ohm, is it 81mW (I'm way behind my school days)?
From our specification it's 290mW for 600ohm.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I like the design of the E and L series. I hope Topping's flagship series in the future, say DX9 Pro Max SE, adapt to this design.

Top Bottom