• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Micro B dongle / adapter functionality for Android Smartphone

Leiker535

Hello all. I'm in need of a good (enough) dongle for using iems with my old Asus smartphone. His audio jack doesn't work anymore, so I'd have to use the micro usb (micro b) port for that; problem is that most "good" stuff only comes in a USB-C form factor, and after a bit of research, I've discovered that it isn't as simple as using a port adapter like this:

1630364361161.png

So I wonder what are my options now? I don't want to spend much, and was considering the Meizu Hifi Dac (non pro version), the apple dongle C, or a Hidizs s8 on a stretch, but wouldn't quite like it as it becomes a lot bulky. I'm from the time that we used rubber bands with portable dacs and amps, and I don't want to relive that experience.

It doesn't need to have -120db SINAD, just have low OI and some power .

Attachments

• 1630364123582.png
    1630364123582.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 68

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In your place I would not use a hard adapter as it can get bumped and damage the phone jack.

I would use a Meizu and a short adapter cable like this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtS8tFH

Or a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which is bulkier but has the necessary cables.

OP
Leiker535

Leiker535

In your place I would not use a hard adapter as it can get bumped and damage the phone jack.

I would use a Meizu and a short adapter cable like this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtS8tFH

Or a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which is bulkier but has the necessary cables.

Question is, will the adapted micro b to usb C work for the Meizu?

I didn't know the sonata, and it is even cheaper than the hidizs, thanks for that!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is, will the adapted micro b to usb C work for the Meizu?

I didn't know the sonata, and it is even cheaper than the hidizs, thanks for that!
Cable should work fine.
Sonata HD Pro is quite popular for a reason.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Leiker535

Leiker535

Also Hidizs S8 is the same, a little prettier and costs a bit more.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtdaBJV

I guess the Sonata HD pro would be easier since I could then find a micro b to micro b cable and saving a bit (the differences stack up in my currency).

I've also seen the Sonata non pro version here on ASR, and although lackluster, it resembles the Meizu. Also there seems to be a v.2 out now:

I wonder if it improved anything...

EDIT: Found some measurements on Head-fi. Same voltage problem as Sonata I, and the guy couldn't get SNR measurements out of it (and proceeded to compare the two dacs, stating lively mids etc, although he himself measured the FR curve as dead flat :rolleyes:). The company however apologized and said it will be fixed either with firmware or stock with the new batch; and so we're left out hoping. Still, 20mW should be Ok for most iems.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Leiker535

Leiker535

S8 already comes with micro USB to micro USB short cable.

I know, but I still refrain from the anaconda hanging in my pocket (sorry).

I see that you use the Meizu with the Aria, mine would be a very similar use-case, either with the Arias or the FH3s, are yours the pro version or the standard?. I have desktop amps for more busy work, so a more simple dongle would satisfy my financial and audio needs

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Standard Meizu is fine for IEMs in my experience.

Top Bottom