• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Ether CX Review (Closed Planar Headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Compression goes hand in hand with considerable higher 3rd harm. distortion in the lows. DCA is excellent here so there is no need to look for compression because there won't be any. I would chalk the reports up to subjective mumbo jumbo.
He also might mean the stock frequency response of the headphone might sound "undynamic" - they're quite dark, or at least the Aeon RT closed when I looked at the frequency response, I can imagine them lacking quite a bit of "bite & sparkle" based on the stock frequency response - I'm quite certain those doubts wouldn't remain when EQ'd.

I wonder how this compares to Hifiman HE6se. Amir had a review on those and they had similar distortion and frequency response. Any subjective opinions of people who heard both?

bequietjk

Out of curiosity are there any DJs or producers out there that have used these for mixing playlists and DJing? I'm struggling to find a pair of headphones that I can start mixing with and enjoy making playlists with and by popular choice these headphones seem to check the sound enjoyment factor at least.

Hello?
Is there any DJs out there?
Just nod if you can hear me!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the only one triggered by the stem of the headphone stand not being fully inserted into the base in all these reviews? Can't be unseen.

Jave

I have a problem: I recently got the C Flow 1.1 with the angled ear pads, but I also wear eyeglasses. This causes the seal to break and the amount of bass plummets. What can I do to fix that? (assuming I can't take off the glasses)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a problem: I recently got the C Flow 1.1 with the angled ear pads, but I also wear eyeglasses. This causes the seal to break and the amount of bass plummets. What can I do to fix that? (assuming I can't take off the glasses)
Increase clamping pressure (especially if the pads are quite soft)? Maybe that way they would seal around it closer. Get thinner glasses? Wear contacts? Ha! But no, some of those.

Jave

I tried increasing the clamping force and bought new ear pads (the ones I currently use, which are firmer), but even now I get less bass than HD650...
I might try new glasses. I am not even sure I get as much bass as on the HD650 even without glasses. This is very weird and frustrating.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried increasing the clamping force and bought new ear pads (the ones I currently use, which are firmer), but even now I get less bass than HD650...
I might try new glasses. I am not even sure I get as much bass as on the HD650 even without glasses. This is very weird and frustrating.
If you're not getting as much bass even without glasses, then perhaps other issues.....although did I hear or read that the Ether CX is very sensitive to bass seal so maybe your head shape is not particularly compatible with this model? You bought firmer pads, surely softer pads would give you more bass as it would seal more around your glasses? If you buy aftermarket pads then you can't guarantee the frequency response will be the same, so that might be the problem too....or did you mean you bought new stock pads? (Either way if they're firmer then you'll get less of a seal around your glasses)

Jave

I bought c Flow second hand. They had the original pads. Around 2018, DCA came with new pads which are firmer and give better bass response which are also the ones I bought

Jave

@amirm - didn't you have a problem of the seal breaking when testing the headphones with while wearing you glasses?

BTW - even with my glasses off, the HD 650 seem to have more bass than the C Flow

Galke6

This one or the AEON RT? I want a step above of my Hifiman Sundaras

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why consider the Aeon RT at all if you have the option of the Aeon Noire?
It does measure better re frequency response from what I remember of seeing Oratory's measurements (as in closer to the Harman Curve).....I suppose the unknown with the Aeon Noire is that it's not been reviewed by Amir yet.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why consider the Aeon RT at all if you have the option of the Aeon Noire?
I'll give you approximately 400 reasons!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Ether CX for sale, (not by me) for $575 as of today, for anyone who might be interested.

Top Bottom