• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

threni

Major Contributor
Anything with an oscillator over 10KHz (or is it 9?) MUST be validated against FCC emissions requirements.
Yes, I'm assuming it was originally tested, and that we're talking now about the requirements for a retest.

aandres_gm

Thanks for your Post ..
I appreciate your comments and advice ..Thank You.

However I realise i am just banging my head against the wall ..As For John. " A respected contributor .."..I'm sure he is very Knowledgeable and a great asset But Certainly not independent in any stretch of the word ...the man works for Topping ...In which capacity .?.He does not seem inclined to answer..
Toppings Service Centre Admits a problem via Email...The Companys reply is Pasted into one of my previous posts .John Dismisses this reply and me for posting it..and no one else reads it or pulls him up ( apart from yourself ) As experiences on forums go I've had better one's ha ha........
No one will even notice If John and Topping bully their way out of this....unless they buy an E30.....I hate dishonest responses about the products changed abilities and that many like me could buy and have the same Dismal experience with Topping and its representative on this site

Thanks again

Bill
John is an engineer at Topping. He's worked on several products the company has put out. I would certainly trust his response on a technical matter a lot more than that of a CS rep at Topping, who's most likely more experienced in handling warranty cases and other CS tasks.

Also, does your keyboard have no commas or points? The amount of "..." Makes my head spin

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
Do you think the CS person at Topping just made up an answer?

The CS person was either an engineer, or consulted with an engineer for the answer.

aandres_gm

Do you think the CS person at Topping just made up an answer?

The CS person was either an engineer, or consulted with an engineer for the answer.
The CS person most likely didn't have first hand knowledge, which is why the answer differed from John's. You also have to remember there's a language barrier here, so some things may get lost in translation

audio2design

Major Contributor
The CS person most likely didn't have first hand knowledge, which is why the answer differed from John's. You also have to remember there's a language barrier here, so some things may get lost in translation

Where you do you think the CS person go the answer? Come on. They didn't make it up. Someone told them or they did have first hand knowledge.

OP
B

billdylan

John is an engineer at Topping. He's worked on several products the company has put out. I would certainly trust his response on a technical matter a lot more than that of a CS rep at Topping, who's most likely more experienced in handling warranty cases and other CS tasks.

Also, does your keyboard have no commas or points? The amount of "..." Makes my head spin
Thanks for your Help regarding Johns relationship with topping .....And Also For Your Advice On How to make your head spin...all Good ..
ha..ha..

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks for the input,

I Thought Toppings answer was very clear and succinctly Written. I'm sure people will decide If They read It.

I sure hope the Topping Service operative doesn't get into any trouble for telling the truth as he was informed , obviously by a knowledgeable technical person in the company, and perhaps ? . Maybe he just didn't know he was not supposed to give such information to the the public.

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As far as this may be a pain in the ass for a few customers ( and don’t worry, @JohnYang1997 is well aware of that).
Customers also have to understand manufacturers are surviving a global pandemic crisis, a chipset worldwide shortage, AKM dac chip factory consumed by flames, etc. Taking all into account it doesn’t strike me as something outside the normal for this small issues to happen.

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks for your Input,

I appreciate Manufacturers must adapt fast to The Global pandemic....I understand the reason why it doesn't work .John denied there was a problem that you now seem to think he was aware of ?.Perhaps it might be better if John was prepared to clear the matter up ..It would be nice to Hear from him in an honest , helpful , and open manner .

I originally thought Topping might be of help to Resolve this since it is their product . That was soon Dispelled .

Companys have a responsibility for their products ...To Bully a Customer in the belief they will go away is Not a good look. As for the Kind Input from members It is much appreciated

From My dealings with Topping And JohnYang it appears I have these choices to take away with me.
First
According to John there is no problem .
Second
There is a problem with our advertised claims for the E30s .but .there is nothing we are prepared to do to help you.
And third
From Technogadgets reply above ,

I should accept there are "Small issues ' and that "This may be a pain in the ass for a few customers ( and don’t worry, @JohnYang1997 is well aware of that). ...Confusing ? .John Does Or Doesn't Know ..Its seems to be a multiple answer question suddenly ?

I am understanding Of The struggles during the pandemic ,and I am indeed sorry for their predicament .But Perhaps they could be understanding of people On the End of their decisions and treat them in an honest and helpful way .

During The Pandemic My work has diminished too .Currently Our State NSW is in Lockdown So I can't afford to waste money on a product that Doesnt Work In a way many would buy it for and claimed by the company....... Perhaps Topping and other should also be understanding a little about their obligations in return

I work n the service industry myself....I know what I would happen to me If i treated Clients in such a way

Not Once Has Topping or John attempted to Deal helpfully with this situation. Apart from the poor guy at Topping who sent me the Email with the Admission of a problem .I hope he is not having Problems for his honesty with me.

All I wanted was another E30 with the AK chip ...or even just Something as recompense ..an old D30 pro in exchange lying around on a bench perhaps.?.

Or even an honest statement that the CS chipped version doesn't work with CD players as well as the old AK chipped version anymore

i didn't set out to roast Topping or put JohnYang In an Uncomfortable position.Their dismissive treatment of me as just 'One Man' disappointed then angered me ..Good Cop and Bad Cop .

I don't expect any resolution now ...I just don't want others to have to Put Up With Such Terrible Customer service if their 'New' E30 doesn't work as Claimed anymore. And To Come Here For 'Unbiased comments' from an employee of the Company I came here for advice about.

Thanks for reading...

Bill

zombiebrains

Hello,

I have this same problem with the newer E30. I have few old CD seperates from the 90's (Marantz, Pioneer stable platter and a Technics) and when connected via optical or coaxial into the E30 it throws a hissy fit with skipping. My Denon 800NE CD player works BUT TO MY EARS sounds better than the E30 so don't use it with it, my Pioneer tank like DVD player skips. An old Sony Bluray deck that takes ages to load a CD also works via coaxial. USB though is fine. I tried a few different cables.

Here: https://theaudiophileman.com/topping-d50s-dac-review-pt-2/

This review talks about this issue on another Topping model perhaps with the same spdif receiver chip? I have seen some reviews pop up on Amazon about major CD player incompatability. I bought this to use my old CD player's with it's nice review DAC function and breed a new life into my older player's.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Sounds like a design defect to me. May not be the chip, could be the implementation if cut and paste between models.

OP
B

billdylan

Hello,

I have this same problem with the newer E30. I have few old CD seperates from the 90's (Marantz, Pioneer stable platter and a Technics) and when connected via optical or coaxial into the E30 it throws a hissy fit with skipping. My Denon 800NE CD player works BUT TO MY EARS sounds better than the E30 so don't use it with it, my Pioneer tank like DVD player skips. An old Sony Bluray deck that takes ages to load a CD also works via coaxial. USB though is fine. I tried a few different cables.

This review talks about this issue on another Topping model perhaps with the same spdif receiver chip? I have seen some reviews pop up on Amazon about major CD player incompatability. I bought this to use my old CD player's with it's nice review DAC function and breed a new life into my older player's.
Wow !!

https://theaudiophileman.com/topping-d50s-dac-review-pt-2/

Just watched the link above to the Youtube video from june featuring Toppings Admission.....In Print..... of the problem with the E30 ,and that now appears is also affecting the a whole range of toppings DACs to some degree when used via the coaxial connection....

.But still Toppings is ..."Unfortunately unable to resolve the problem".and that was in june It appears , yet JohnYang Continued to deny there was a problem in the last few days'...

Risk Buying a Topping Dac and you are on your own as I have found,

Or you will be Told by a respected member of this site , .And I quote JohnYangs reply to me here " If you continue to ignore everything I said and cherry picking statements to form your opinion. Then good luck have fun. You do you. You are no longer welcomed. ".

Once again , Thank you to 'Zombiebrains' to confirm that ....."I have this same problem with the newer E30" . that .and Posting the link to this video of the Topping Dac problem

Bill

Last edited:

aandres_gm

.But still Toppings is ..."Unfortunately unable to resolve the problem".and that was in june It appears , yet JohnYang Continued to deny there was a problem in the last few days'...
...but John has been openly talking about this issue for months in this forum?

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks Aandras.

I only Joined recently With My E30 problem hoping for advice and help with the situation from the members

I did a search of the site but only with an E30 connection,

When I posted of the E30 Problem I and others were having, I Thought Johnyang was just another member Replying to my query and wishing to share information and help.

So when I posted The Toppings Service centre's Email reply noting, and I quote " but when the E30 connected to the device SPDIF output is not standard enough, so that because of the two together lead to incompatibility (such as CD players). " , JohnYang replied "That is completely incorrect", and "As mentioned I just contacted them to correct this. So the misinformation won't be spread further." .His tone and his manner did make it pretty obvious he works for Topping

If he was " openly talking about this issue for months in this forum " .Has he said There is a Problem with Any Topping Dacs in some related post .? I would be interested if you have any information to add . If he has, why would he be so Adamant and dismissive Of Someone having an obviously related problem.?

Thanks for your Input

Bill

martytoo

It would have been nice to get the exact model numbers of those problematic ones.

I misread this before I went into my music room to grab the models. For some reason when I read this last night I thought you wanted the model numbers of the devices that work. They are two Blu-ray players. Samsung BD-EM7C version BD-EM7C/ZA and Samsung BD-P3600 version BD-P3600/XAA.

I don't think knowing what players were involved with the skipping is of any value but if you really want them I have a few and I can get them for you. They are all older machines and if I remember correctly at least 2 are optical output players and one is a coaxial output player. I bought the coaxial output player used to see if that would take care of the issue - which it did not.

I also think I may have a workaround and wonder if anyone else had tried the following and what the likely value or problem would be. I own an Andover Songbird with both optical in and out slots. If I fed the CD player into the Songbird and then the Songbird into the E30 I think I would have not skipping as the CD into the Songbird has no issues. Is this a waste of effort or worth the time to try to use the Songbird as a receiver for the E30?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, please provide the model names of the NOT working units.

And yes again, having a unit that re-encodes SPDIF might fix the issue. But I don't know how the Songbird operates internally, so just try it. A simple and cheap coax-optical converter most probably won't do it, as the structure and jitter etc of the original SPDIF signal stays intact.

martytoo

Yes, please provide the model names of the NOT working units.

And yes again, having a unit that re-encodes SPDIF might fix the issue. But I don't know how the Songbird operates internally, so just try it. A simple and cheap coax-optical converter most probably won't do it, as the structure and jitter etc of the original SPDIF signal stays intact.

Here are the 3 players that I used with the E30 that caused drop outs.

Kenwood DP R6080 a 5 disc CD changer with optical output
Pioneer DVR-220 a DVD recorder with optical output
Sony DVP-NS300 a DVD player with optical and coaxial outputs that so far I have used only on the coaxial side.

The Sony was bought by me to test coax with the E30. I then also bought a different cable to make sure the cable was not the issue.

Yesterday I used the Pioneer to feed the Songbird and the Songbird to feed the E30. As I had hoped this caused the dropouts to disappear. I plan to do an A-B comparison of the Songbird out audio vs the E30 audio out in this configuration. I didn't have the time to both listen at length for dropout trouble and set up the Songbird on another audio input to my system.

I was curious as to what you planned to do with the list of my 3 E30 incompatible players. I reread your original request and I now understand. But to do that you or Amir would also have to buy or borrow one of the offending E30 units. Kudos if you are able to do this.

Last edited:
OP
B

billdylan

Hello,

Hey Zombiebrains .....Just wondered if you could link to The Reviews on Amazon about this problem
Thanks Aandras.

I only Joined recently With My E30 problem hoping for advice and help with the situation from the members

I did a search of the site but only with an E30 connection,

When I posted of the E30 Problem I and others were having, I Thought Johnyang was just another member Replying to my query and wishing to share information and help.

So when I posted The Toppings Service centre's Email reply noting, and I quote " but when the E30 connected to the device SPDIF output is not standard enough, so that because of the two together lead to incompatibility (such as CD players). " , JohnYang replied "That is completely incorrect", and "As mentioned I just contacted them to correct this. So the misinformation won't be spread further." .His tone and his manner did make it pretty obvious he works for Topping

If he was " openly talking about this issue for months in this forum " .Has he said There is a Problem with Any Topping Dacs in some related post .? I would be interested if you have any information to add . If he has, why would he be so Adamant and dismissive Of Someone having an obviously related problem.?

Thanks for your Input

Bill

Hey Guys

Bill
I misread this before I went into my music room to grab the models. For some reason when I read this last night I thought you wanted the model numbers of the devices that work. They are two Blu-ray players. Samsung BD-EM7C version BD-EM7C/ZA and Samsung BD-P3600 version BD-P3600/XAA.

I don't think knowing what players were involved with the skipping is of any value but if you really want them I have a few and I can get them for you. They are all older machines and if I remember correctly at least 2 are optical output players and one is a coaxial output player. I bought the coaxial output player used to see if that would take care of the issue - which it did not.

I also think I may have a workaround and wonder if anyone else had tried the following and what the likely value or problem would be. I own an Andover Songbird with both optical in and out slots. If I fed the CD player into the Songbird and then the Songbird into the E30 I think I would have not skipping as the CD into the Songbird has no issues. Is this a waste of effort or worth the time to try to use the Songbird as a receiver for the E30?
Thanks for the reply,much appreciated

zombiebrains2

Hey Zombiebrains .....Just wondered if you could link to The Reviews on Amazon about this problem

Hello billdylan,

I am 'zombiebrains' I can't gain access to my new account for some reason so I will try to assist here. I am raw new and just spotted your comments on your E30 issue recently by chance. Although I am aware of the issue for maybe 2 months myself as I too had this dropout sound problem on my own E30 which I bought to use with one of older CD players. In my testing with the available decks I own (had stored away etc), basically all the old CD players have an issue with the newer E30 except for the 2 Denon CD decks I have (1 of which is an old player) and a Yamaha CDS2000 all work even with a cheap coaxial/optical cable).
I also tested my old Pioneer DVD player and that has an issue but an old basic Sony bluray plays CD's no problem via coaxial into the E30. Funny thing is the player's that work sound better to me on their own rather than the E30, the exception being the bluray thing which is certainly improved by the E30 via it's coaxial input. I decided to keep the device as it sounds great over USB playing content on my PC with foobar and the correct drivers. Also I like it's display. I just wish I had the AKM older version!

Some other information I found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/o8ye2j
As for Amazon, I noticed the following written: Note: Topping Factory does not recommend connecting the E30 to the CD player as the E30 places high demands on the input of the CD player. And on most CD devices, music will stutter / skip.

user review with this sound skipping issue and: https://www.amazon.de/Topping-E30-S...ywords=TOPPING+E30&qid=1630178337&sr=8-8&th=1

Top Bottom