• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leaf Audio PA-03 MKII Review (Tube Preampifier)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its @amirm's time. Iam not against it. For me personal, it would not be any bennefit.

The main job of a amp is to amplify a signal without changing it. This amp fails in its main job. I can get a cheaper amp that does its job better. So what?

Then just get the cheaper amp that does the better job? I think you missed my point on that, it was never about price/performance aspect since everyone here already knows this device is not the ideal choice in that sense. My point is that we've been having subjective impressions along with concrete measurements that helped readers to get more information so they can decide whether they want to purchase something or not. About Amir's time, I totally agree with you.

FIY I'm using Atom as a preamp so I hope you won't misunderstand that I'm defending this product.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Then just get the cheaper amp that does the better job? I think you missed my point on that, it was never about price/performance aspect since everyone here already knows this device is not the ideal choice in that sense. My point is that we've been having subjective impressions along with concrete measurements that helped readers to get more information so they can decide whether they want to purchase something or not. About Amir's time, I totally agree with you.

FIY I'm using Atom as a preamp so I hope you won't misunderstand that I'm defending this product.

Maybe for some it could be usefull?

There are 3 possibilitis.
1) Amir would say it sounds shiit
2) I cant hear the distortion.
3) I can hear the disortion and i like it

Non of this 3 answers would change my opinion about the product.
This amp has also a FR that not fits in this time.
So whatever Amir would tell subjectivly would be not interesting for me. It measures so broken that any interest is gone. I get your point, but for me and thats my personall point of view, it would make no sense to spend more time on something that measures like this.

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe for some it could be usefull?

There are 3 possibilitis.
1) Amir would say it sounds shiit
2) I cant hear the distortion.
3) I can hear the disortion and i like it

Non of this 3 answers would change my opinion about the product.
This amp has also a FR that not fits in this time.
So whatever Amir would tell subjectivly would be not interesting for me. It measures so broken that any interest is gone. I get your point, but for me and thats my personall point of view, it would make no sense to spend more time on something that measures like this.
Of course, Amir assiduously avoids make subjective comments in case of electronic components; speakers being another matter, apparently). I venture that this is because he feels measurements tell the whole story.

Again of course there is the question of whether differences in electronics are audible. Science has proven that, statistically, people cannot identify different components in blind testing -- that is, most people cannot reliably hear differences most of the time.

Personally I believe that some people can certainly hear differences some of the time, i.e. depending on the specific components being compared as well as the individuals. The endeavor, accordingly, ought to be to determine what sort of difference can be heard.

Am I interested in hearing people's subjective impressions?? Heck, yeah. In my experience some people, (audiophiles), are far more dispassionate and consistent in the assessments than other. Compounding the problem of relying on opinions is the fact the people vary in the subjective preferences; there is a spectrum of preferences between (a) maximum resolution and dynamics at one pole, to (b) smoothness, "body", and "holographic imaging" on the other.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Again of course there is the question of whether differences in electronics are audible. Science has proven that, statistically, people cannot identify different components in blind testing -- that is, most people cannot reliably hear differences most of the time.

Really? I must have missed the "science."

And "subjective" is NOT the same thing as "uncontrolled." Subjectivity is great. Uncontrolled means absolutely unreliable.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? I must have missed the "science."

And "subjective" is NOT the same thing as "uncontrolled." Subjectivity is great. Uncontrolled means absolutely unreliable.
Certainly you are not wrong, SIY.

Subjectivity at most audiophile sites runs amuck. But there are to be found individuals whose impressions tend to correspond to one's own, and whose opinions are consistent even if their subjective preferences are one's own.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Certainly you are not wrong, SIY.

Subjectivity at most audiophile sites runs amuck. But there are to be found individuals whose impressions tend to correspond to one's own, and whose opinions are consistent even if their subjective preferences are one's own.

Subjectivity. You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.

"Uncontrolled" is the problem, not subjectivity. That's how you end up with weird sociological "preferences." That ain't science.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Not saying this to be funny or sarcastic, but that entire front panel, looks like they were very influenced by Radio Shack designs from the late 70s-mid 80s design school.

In a good way!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Of course, Amir assiduously avoids make subjective comments in case of electronic components; speakers being another matter, apparently). I venture that this is because he feels measurements tell the whole story.

Personally I believe that some people can certainly hear differences some of the time, i.e. depending on the specific components being compared as well as the individuals. The endeavor, accordingly, ought to be to determine what sort of difference can be heard.

Am I interested in hearing people's subjective impressions?? Heck, yeah. In my experience some people, (audiophiles), are far more dispassionate and consistent in the assessments than other. Compounding the problem of relying on opinions is the fact the people vary in the subjective preferences; there is a spectrum of preferences between (a) maximum resolution and dynamics at one pole, to (b) smoothness, "body", and "holographic imaging" on the other.

Iam interestet in subjective impressions also. I have no problems with them. Thats why i bought that cheap sony headphone. Just to get a impression of amirs subjectivity. But with this device i would not care. This device makes no sense to me. As a hifi preamp at least.

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjectivity. You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.

"Uncontrolled" is the problem, not subjectivity. That's how you end up with weird sociological "preferences." That ain't science.
I'm not so sure there isn't some way to scientifically ascertain and record subjective impressions and thereby preferences, but I agree it hasn't been done.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Hey Amir what if we swapped the tubes in that sucker? What do you think is broken? Can you fix it??

It reminds me rather AKAI ...

I agree with the guy who said Luxman, but I always think gear looks much better in person. I can see what you're saying as well, but Akai was busier.

Last edited:

BostonJack

Editor
I think this manufacturer should be in the chassis business. Keep the connectors and controls (VU meters obviously) intact and sell the chassis for $350 to $400. Maybe do a second chassis with Dieter Rams inspired design.

Save somewhat hacky DIY'ers like myself from their own strong vision/modest implementation syndrome.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir.

I am always interested in Chinese tube gear and gear with nice meters.

DualTriode

I'm not so sure there isn't some way to scientifically ascertain and record subjective impressions and thereby preferences, but I agree it hasn't been done.

Hello,

Au contraire you are just not paying attention.

The Harmon Headphone Curve was created/developed with controlled subjective input from human subjects.

Put a pair of headphones on a few dozen test subject heads, hand them a box with a couple of knobs to adjust the sound to their preference, after some number crunching Sean Olive PhD published his objective Harmon Headphone Curve.

There you have it, an example of controlled subjective meets objective. Harmon takes it to the bank.

Thanks DT

testp

the thing about VU-s to me is, the moment i got preamp with VU's ( not the nicest but still ) i ended up not looking at them most of the time..

tomtoo

Major Contributor
the thing about VU-s to me is, the moment i got preamp with VU's ( not the nicest but still ) i ended up not looking at them most of the time..

Would be boring. ;)
But nice eye catchers.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Preamp + Amplifiers = $2,279.

57468CCA-4C71-4E32-B467-5BE9626154B7.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Dont know how good this poweramps are. But with this preamp they are fu**ed. ;)
Would be interesting what we realy could get for this amount of money?

Last edited:
Top Bottom