• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

respice finem

Major Contributor
respice finem oh, it is almost exactly what I thinking about last month! Just I want to make it from a rubber.
Rubber will probably not make it really waterproof, more rigid plastic might increase stability of the connection (the plug goes into the socket and locks). IMHO many users would not care much if the unit was 30% longer. It's like with phones, I'd rather have a thicker phone than the camera unit sticking out etc.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Could you tell me more about it? Is it a part for the manufacturer or is it an accessory for the end user?
I don't know much more, just stumbled upon it. Tech specs are in the link above, or here in English (scroll down a bit).
https://www.neutrik.com/de/product/nmc-c-hr
They seem to be available for all, the prices will be different of course, if a manufacturer would order like 100k pieces. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=neutrik+nmc-c-hr

respice finem

Major Contributor
respice finem the rubber was considered not for waterproof but to fit any variations of USB-C cable heads. You know, they look the same but they are quite differently sized yet.
I guess with the Neutrik only their own cable would fit ideally. With some "playful" cables you might otherwise get into the problem of not being able to insert, or worse, pull out the cable. On the other hand, trying to provide a universal solution may be dangerous for the socket if the user isn't vigilant.
I would rather have a more expensive cable than risk ruining the unit. I guess the Neutrik "patent" is well thought through, they're known for good connections, they just don't seem to advertise much.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Something like that.
2021-08-28_00-54-35.jpg
2021-08-28_00-53-48.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I understand all the technicalities but if making the connector go deeper into the socket for more stability maybe you'd consider making units with non-detachable cable?
For me personally it doesn't make much of a difference whether or not I can unplug the cable from the DAC but I think it'd add greatly to usability of the device.
Agree.

AudioManNewb

AudioManNewb to be honest, my son Tyoma_the_coder just too lazy, as I feel. So, I decided to motivate his hunter spirit by split the profit from HW and SW. No any intention to earn money on poor people or something, 100.0% pedagogic )) Currently, again he develops Cosmos_FFT.exe free app for the upcoming ESS ADC, and again progress is crazy slow.
Work is still work whether slow lazy fast paid un paid. An in america every second of work uncompensated for is wasted time not the way I would want it but that is forced from birth. And with a grand total of $110 plus taxes for the whole shebang is highway robbery. Like I mentioned, there is plenty of low performing horrible DAC/AMP dongles that charge way more than $100. If there was anything disrespectful you were doing I would let you know. Forum donor high likes high messages a troll is still a troll.

TheHighContemplator

I compared the E1DA 9038D to the Topping E30 DAC and L30 amp. The 9038D holds its own and is almost on par with the $300 USD Topping combo. However, the Topping set does have a slight edge in bass control, probably due to much more available power, but I really mea slight edge. I would be perfectly happy only using the 9038D everyday, as it is practically audibly flawless.

TheHighContemplator

I too wondered about the USB C fit. That solution @IVX posted looks solid, especially if it is made in black.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too wondered about the USB C fit. That solution @IVX posted looks solid, especially if it is made in black.
I've been having more instances of the USB C cable moving in the socket which will disconnect the dongle from my phone, especially in the car where there is movement of the cable and dongle. It's almost become unusable so there needs to be some type of solution.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Facel

Hello
I have just received my 9038D.

Either used with my Iphone or my windows PC the sound is worse than ever: no mids , singer voice seems to deseapears ...
Your help would be appreciated.

I do not know if my device is defective or if I am missing some settings

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello
Either used with my Iphone or my windows PC the sound is worse than ever: no mids , singer voice seems to deseapears ...
Your help would be appreciated.

I do not know if my device is defective or if I am missing some settings
This can happen if you connect a headphones-microphone combo with a TRRS plug.

Facel

... effectivly this was the case ...
Thank you very much I can now listen to real music

Top Bottom