• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chane A1.5 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Rust: on axis
Blue: 10 degrees (horizontal)
Green: 20 degrees
Gold: 30 degrees
Black: 40 degrees
Here is my 0/10/20/30/40 using the same 100dB scale & similar colors, looks pretty dang similar (and keep in mind these are different generations):

Horizontal Directivity 71.png

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, I ran a quick test on effect of port closing (they supply a foam for this purpose):

I put my ear next to it while playing and it sure sounded distorted. But since it is pointing to the back, if you are not having it close to a wall it should be OK.

That is shockingly little difference for a port plug. They must need to use a denser material, I find that a rolled up hand towel completely kills port resonance.

GimeDsp

From Chane mfg. comments on that site
"the amplitude responses are spliced combinations of nearfield bass responses and standard 1M gated MLS noise responses "

I wouldn't trust a composite measurement like this without seeing each unique measurement that goes into the soup bowl!
Show each measurement and show how they are combined.

GimeDsp

That is shockingly little difference for a port plug. They must need to use a denser material, I find that a rolled up hand towel completely kills port resonance.

That's what I thought too.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking closer at the A2.4, which is the newer generation – while it is a horizontal center speaker, we may be able to glean something. And, in the link I posted, they provided its measurements, which also included an average. They did not give an average for the A1.5. Here is that average for the A2.4:

A2.4 avg.jpg

That looks more or less looks like a compressed and smoothed version of what @amirm posted, with the 100 dB scale @MZKM mentioned.

The designer has gone out of his way over the years to downplay the importance of measurements, providing smoothed results or sometimes scaled differently and even sometimes missing the vertical axis labels. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

At this point I'm not sure we need a 2nd sample, but that tweeter distortion is worrying.

GimeDsp

Looking closer at the A2.4, which is the newer generation – while it is a horizontal center speaker, we may be able to glean something. And, in the link I posted, they provided its measurements, which also included an average. They did not give an average for the A1.5. Here is that average for the A2.4:

View attachment 149616

That looks more or less looks like a compressed and smoothed version of what @amirm posted, with the 100 dB scale @MZKM mentioned.

The designer has gone out of his way over the years to downplay the importance of measurements, providing smoothed results or sometimes scaled differently and even sometimes missing the vertical axis labels. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

At this point I'm not sure we need a 2nd sample, but that tweeter distortion is worrying.

They should really send a new tweeter if it's defective
If it's not defective then should they send out products like this?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen a lot of AMT tweeters have high distortion, and don’t forget the super low sensitivity of this speaker means these distortion tests are done at much higher input wattages compared to your average speaker.

But this is not an AMT. Not all planers are made equal (as is evident by these measurements). These things tend to have good efficiency though. So a lot will be lost in some hefty resistor.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ohhh AVS is gonna be mad.
No doubt. But if they are logical, they would use the measurements and equalization I provided to get good sound out of this speaker.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They probably sound good at low volume and reasonably good at mid-volume, for what it's worth. For anything beyond that, I'm really questioning if that tweeter is the right choice. As our ear's sensitivity picks up into the mid-volume level, that tweeter boost and its accompanying distortion should become noticeable. I would definitely need EQ beyond that.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reference axis is approximately the center of the tweeter (vertically and horizontally). As a funny aside, when I was searching for measurements of this speaker, I landed on a massive thread in AVS Forum with a person claiming I will be botching this as I am supposed to contact the company to get the acoustic center. Well, if it is very different than assumed, company best to provide that information to all of its users. More on this later.
Spinorama 79.png
Vertical Directivity Normalized 69.png

Hmm…
Would it be possible to in-post move up the acoustical center by 10°? It looks likes the dip before 2kHz gets filled in a bit and the top octave gets reduced a bit in intensity.

It is a bit unrealistic though, as +10°V from 10ft away means sitting ~21” above the tweeter. +5°V would be ~10” above, but not sure if +5°V gets the job done.

Hiten

Why port plugging is not showing any significant difference ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would it be possible to in-post move up the acoustical center by 10°? It looks likes the dip before 2kHz gets filled in a bit and the top octave gets reduced a bit in intensity.
I can't move by angle. I can move by millimeters in Z axis.

If someone is using these in far field, it would be hard to make a case for a 10 degree alignment. We move around that much. No?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not dense enough foam, doesn‘t block enough air to turn it into a semi-sealed speaker.
Yeh it is just porous foam and a bit larger than the hole it goes in. It does get rid of the higher frequency resonances though.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't move by angle. I can move by millimeters in Z axis.

If someone is using these in far field, it would be hard to make a case for a 10 degree alignment. We move around that much. No?
Maybe top of the cabinet then, but by that little not sure if any noticeable change would occur.
Just trying to save you from the fangs of some of those AVS members ;)

Hiten

Its different speakers but the foam plug looks similar to other companies use (I could be wrong though)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe top of the cabinet then, but by that little not sure if any noticeable change would occur.
Just trying to save you from the fangs of some of those AVS members ;)
It takes half hour to crunch the numbers again. It is past midnight and l plan to watch a video or two and then fall sleep. :) Let them get mad. :)

Top Bottom