• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D vs Khadas Tone 2 Pro over MOTU M4?

dcmabon

Hello everyone, first post here. I currently have a MOTU M4 but recently saw the specs on the E1DA 9038D and Khadas Tone 2 pro and both are in my price range and really made me think if either is a noticeable upgrade from the M4. The criteria I will be using is USB connected laptop with Headphone out on DAC being used to power 33ohm headphones, and I am purely basing this on searching for the cleaner most accurate DAC out of the two. I also only have the option of using 1/8th in or 1/4” for the headphone out. I only own TRS Headphones, no TRRS so that’s not an option either. Hoping to see if anyone has any experience with these and can compare your experience or just anyone who wants to chime in with your feedback. Also any other suggestions in that price range is welcome too. Basically searching for the cleanest DAC in that price range that can power those specs. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

between these two devices, I only have the Tone2 Pro at this moment, I think I will order the E1DA 9038D at the same time than the future E1DA ADC.
The main thing I see is your needs :
if you only want to plug headphones, E1DA 9038D should come first
if you also may need to use the DAC with an amp, unbalanced or balanced, or amplified monitors, better think about the Tone2 Pro (if balanced use, you will need to order the cables, or the connectors only and build cables yourself)

OP
D

dcmabon

Hi,

between these two devices, I only have the Tone2 Pro at this moment, I think I will order the E1DA 9038D at the same time than the future E1DA ADC.
The main thing I see is your needs :
if you only want to plug headphones, E1DA 9038D should come first
if you also may need to use the DAC with an amp, unbalanced or balanced, or amplified monitors, better think about the Tone2 Pro (if balanced use, you will need to order the cables, or the connectors only and build cables yourself)
Thanks for the response. Yes, In my case I won’t be needing anything for monitors, 100% headphone since it’s a 100% portable rig I’m creating. If you get the E1DA any time soon I’d love to hear your comparison of the two since I haven’t seen any out there yet. Thanks!

Top Bottom