• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8040 vs 8020 with sub

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I own a pair of Genelec 8040, and I love them. However I get little below about 35Hz in my 4m l, 3.6m w, 3m h room.

I was thinking of switching to 8020s (which would probably also earn me domestic brownie points) and adding a small sub - something like the new SVS SB3000 Micro.

I’d use Focus Fidelity for room correction, and an RME ADI-2 Pro for sub crossover.

I’d then hopefully get a near full frequency response… but would I lose anything?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

James

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t know the precise answer. But by the time you sell your 8040s and buy 8020s are you sure you aren’t better off just adding a sub to what you have?

Josq

Max loudness is less with the 8020. I have 8020 + sub for nearfield listening and they do get loud enough for anything I want though. But if you want to get loud in a large room, maybe stick with the 8040.

There is little music below 35 Hz though. And even if you miss the fundamental of a <35Hz tone, you still would recognize it by its harmonics.

On the other hand, if you have a sub, you can optimize its position separately from the main speakers. For mid to high frequencies, listening triangle at ear height is optimal. For low frequencies, placement in or near a corner.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I don’t know the precise answer. But by the time you sell your 8040s and buy 8020s are you sure you aren’t better off just adding a sub to what you have?
Yes I guess so, though if I can do it without losing fidelity, I was also hoping to reduce the size of the mains so they don’t dominate the sitting room quite so much.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I run the 8030C nearfield with an SVS3000 micro. Truly exceptional.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I will be listening from about 3.5 metres away. I rarely listen loud (neighbours), so do you think 8020s will manage?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I listen about 1 meter away. The sub makes a surprisingly large difference at all levels. I have no experience with the 8020s

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I am crossing at 80Hz with a 12db slope. I am using the desktop EQ setting. No further room treatment (yet).

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
3.5 meters away with the 8020? Keep the 8040s. Depending on your usage, a sub might not be necessary at all. What are you looking for below 35hz?

peniku8

Forum Donor
We used to have a pair of 8040BPM with the 8" Genelec sub in the studio. Setup went down to 30Hz, but didn't go super loud and also didn't reproduce anything below 30Hz, but great sound at low to med volumes. But that was with a thousand dollar subwoofer. Imo your best bet is to add a home theatre (consumer) sub to the 8040, since bass is bass and consumer products tend to not be overpriced.
Is this a professional (studio) or a home setup?

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
We used to have a pair of 8040BPM with the 8" Genelec sub in the studio. Setup went down to 30Hz, but didn't go super loud and also didn't reproduce anything below 30Hz, but great sound at low to med volumes. But that was with a thousand dollar subwoofer. Imo your best bet is to add a home theatre (consumer) sub to the 8040, since bass is bass and consumer products tend to not be overpriced.
Is this a professional (studio) or a home setup?
Loud and low Genelec subs cost a ton of money. Good advice re the consumer sub many of which have balanced inputs.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Loud and low Genelec subs cost a ton of money. Good advice re the consumer sub many of which have balanced inputs.
Yea, we're running a 2x10" sub (dual opposed) now, which would be equal to about a single 15" sub, which is 5 grand from Genelec...

ferrellms

Hi all,

I own a pair of Genelec 8040, and I love them. However I get little below about 35Hz in my 4m l, 3.6m w, 3m h room.

I was thinking of switching to 8020s (which would probably also earn me domestic brownie points) and adding a small sub - something like the new SVS SB3000 Micro.

I’d use Focus Fidelity for room correction, and an RME ADI-2 Pro for sub crossover.

I’d then hopefully get a near full frequency response… but would I lose anything?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

James
According to Genelec, you must sit closer to the 8020s to ensure that the direct sound is louder than the room sound, in other words, they are less directional (smaller waveguide?) They will also have more distortion at higher volumes. 8020s with a decent sub will go lower than the 8040s, and if the sub includes a crossover that will roll off the low energy going to the 8020s, and thus reduce their distortion, you may get less distortion with the 8020s and the sub.

But - domestic brownie points have their own rewards.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I have found that the nearfield setup with a sub lets me enjoy listening at lower volumes and still hear the whole track. I don't generally enjoy loud music anyway but tend to turn the volume up until I feel I am hearing all the detail. In my living room system, which is also a reasonable setup, to achieve that experience that volume level needs to be quite a bit louder. This means I can enjoy an album with the 8030s without sending everyone to the other end of the household.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run the 8030C nearfield with an SVS3000 micro. Truly exceptional.
From what I can see, SVS3000 micro has unbalanced connections.
Have you tried other subs in the past? Do you think a JBL 310S would be as nice?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
From what I can see, SVS3000 micro has unbalanced connections.
Have you tried other subs in the past? Do you think a JBL 310S would be as nice?

I have not tried that model. I have tried many subs over the years and usually been a little disappointed. I have this in a small room (10 x 12). I have not taken any measurements so very difficult to convey anything objective to you.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not tried that model. I have tried many subs over the years and usually been a little disappointed. I have this in a small room (10 x 12). I have not taken any measurements so very difficult to convey anything objective to you.
Interesting! What makes the SVS3000 micro not disappointing?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Interesting! What makes the SVS3000 micro not disappointing?

Not too sure how to answer that one....keeping in mind one man's disappointment could be another's excitement.

First and foremost it gives me a nearfield low volume experience which I would usually equate to being in a much larger room with higher volumes.
I can't tell it is on but notice when i turn it off.
It was easy to tune with app based controls. I hate crawling on the floor, making an adjustment, then getting back in place - rinse / repeat etc...
The size of the thing makes it much easier to put it where it needs to go (if you have ever tried to move an SVS PB16 plus about you know what I mean, WAF aside you just can't drop a coffee table sized box wherever you want most of the time).

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi everyone - a very belated thanks for all your input. Seems I might already have the best monitors for my listening environment and the 8020s might not work so well at my far-field listening position.

Maybe I'll try to sneak in a small sub at some point.

J

Top Bottom