• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it theoretically possible to have a linearity test for headphones? Dynamics issues would show up there, right?

Only linearity would show up.
Dynamic behavior would be how fast the membrane can stop moving and how fast it rises.

A good test would be burst at a certain frequency at large amplitude directly followed by the same frequency but 40dB down in level.
That can be repeated for several frequencies.
That test signal doesn't exist yet but could easily be generated.
Would take a scope to capture it and a logarithmic amplifier.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm not arguing the contrary, but can you please explain how you reach such a conclusion with only the data provided in this review?

I have done many linearity tests (only up to 100dB) and only when I find high 3rd harmonics at 90dB in the lows I can also find linearity issues.
Third harmonics are typical for 'flattening' of a sine wave which is exactly what happens.
As distortion is very low (we just don't know if it is 2nd or 3rd harm) there is no or very little flattening even at 114dB.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only linearity would show up.
Dynamic behavior would be how fast the membrane can stop moving and how fast it rises.

A good test would be burst at a certain frequency at large amplitude directly followed by the same frequency but 40dB down in level.
That can be repeated for several frequencies.
That test signal doesn't exist yet but could easily be generated.
Would take a scope to capture it and a logarithmic amplifier.
Doesn't the impulse test show us that this driver is quick to settle?

RHO

Major Contributor
There is no indication in the THD plots that compression takes place.
When there is compression at higher SPL there is lots of 3rd harmonic at higher SPL.
Cool, good to know. So the THD plots at different SPLs should be sufficient.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Doesn't the impulse test show us that this driver is quick to settle?
Impulse response is very often wrongly interpreted. As we know the target frequency response. There will be a target impulse response too.
The ones that seemingly settles slowly only mean there's peak in the frequency response either from the headphone itself or the test rig or the combination of both. On the head can be different from on the rig. Don't read into the impulse response too much.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Daiyama

But it should be easy recognizable when you directly compare two headphone, for example if you compare the Stealth to the king of all punch (that is how I interpret "Macrodynamics"), the Focal Clear.
Edit: But I think there is also a big prejudice about slam and planars and Dan Clark planars in particular, that one can be easily influenced by psychology.

Music1969

Major Contributor
But it should be easy recognizable when you directly compare two headphone, for example if you compare the Stealth to the king of all punch (that is how I interpret "Macrodynamics"), the Focal Clear.

All the Focals share same punchiness trait.

I wonder if this is planar vs dynamic thing. Not sure what kind of measurement does / can capture this though.

Double blind testing with headphones is not easy... I could tell which headphone was on my head by weight / fit / clamping force alone :D

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

if you follow a standardised protocol, making blind comparisons, including many persons doing the evaluations - you may come to some conclusions.

Daiyama

I would agree with the fact about difficulty of blind tests but slam should really be easily recognizable. If Macrodynamics is "slam". If you have more or less same volume you should be able to hear if a base drum blows you away or if it is simply a "limp bizkit", so to speak. :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
I would agree with the fact about difficulty of blind tests but slam should really be easily recognizable. If Macrodynamics is "slam". If you have more or less same volume you should be able to hear if a base drum blows you away or if it is simply a "limp bizkit", so to speak. :)

Depends if slam is macrodynamics or something else.

I thought slam is more linked with bass. The reviewer reported issues with seal with his glasses can significantly reduce perceived bass.

You would need to ask him directly on his forum :)

Chester

Edit: But I think there is also a big prejudice about slam and planars and Dan Clark planars in particular, that one can be easily influenced by psychology.

This whole ‘punch’ business seems like a lot of potentially different things all rolled into one. Volume level, track listened to, frequency response, EQ applied, are all going to effect ‘punch’, so comparisons between phones seems difficult to make meaningful.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the Focals share same punchiness trait.

I wonder if this is planar vs dynamic thing. Not sure what kind of measurement does / can capture this though.

Double blind testing with headphones is not easy... I could tell which headphone was on my head by weight / fit / clamping force alone :D

Just don't disclose any headphone before the test and add some heavy lead tape onto each headband, allow someone to put it on without you touching it. I am sure you could do some guesses anyway, but not so easy.

Daiyama

Depends if slam is macrodynamics or something else.

I thought slam is more linked with bass. The reviewer reported issues with seal with his glasses can significantly reduce perceived bass.

You would need to ask him directly on his forum :)

Yep I know, but I am already on to many forums..... ;)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just don't disclose any headphone before the test and add some heavy lead tape onto each headband, allow someone to put it on without you touching it. I am sure you could do some guesses anyway, but not so easy.

Yes not as easy as blind folds listening to speakers.

Earpads - I can identify MrSpeakers/DCA earpads (I hate) from Focal earpads (I love) very easily. How they fit / seal ear.

Zensō

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes not as easy as blind folds listening to speakers.

Earpads - I can identify MrSpeakers/DCA earpads (I hate) from Focal earpads (I love) very easily. How they fit / seal ear.

If some persons can identify the headphone (model and brand) on ear-pads you may be biased, so one could exclude such persons from the study in a pre-test.

Top Bottom