• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 vs SMSL SU-9

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Electrical Engineering 101 was not my favorite course. I don't understand the importance of what you point out above. But I was tinkering with the idea of outputting the Gustard X16 (300Ω) to Genetec 8030C (1 x XLR Analog Input (10kΩ)) - but I guess I will run into problems?
Technically, a 10:1 ratio will work, so I don't think you'll run into problems. I've just had better luck with ratios closer to 100:1. If it does not work out, you can always do as I've done and insert a Topping Pre90 (or A90) between the DAC and your Genelecs.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Technically, a 10:1 ratio will work, so I don't think you'll run into problems. I've just had better luck with ratios closer to 100:1. If it does not work out, you can always do as I've done and insert a Topping Pre90 (or A90) between the DAC and your Genelecs.

Do you have a sub?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
For music, I have a pair of REL T7i subs, but I may "upgrade" to the SVS 3000 Micros. I have a pair in now for evaluation, and they are really impressing me.

I also have a REL T7 --- but I retired it.

I was curious as to how you wired it up without an AVR receiver.

dsnyder0cnn

I also have a REL T7 --- but I retired it.

I was curious as to how you wired it up without an AVR receiver.
I guess this is a bit off-topic, but for the RELs, I just connect the provided high-level cables to the speaker terminals on my monoblock amps. For the SVS 3000 Micro, I use the RCA outputs on my preamp (XLR outputs go to the monoblocks).

sthaus

For my personal hearing reference since I owned both Dac x16 and su-9 ... x16 has crisp clear, separate in term of sounding compare to su-9, although su-9 give you a warm sound (not true warm, even on tube3 setting). I've tested them on both my Tannoy Gold and Canton 509dc. In contrast, x16 provide just "enough" bass out .. and thin side. If I have to decide to keep 1, I will keep x16. This is just my own opinion. Cheers ..

dsnyder0cnn

For my personal hearing reference since I owned both Dac x16 and su-9 ... x16 has crisp clear, separate in term of sounding compare to su-9, although su-9 give you a warm sound (not true warm, even on tube3 setting). I've tested them on both my Tannoy Gold and Canton 509dc. In contrast, x16 provide just "enough" bass out .. and thin side. If I have to decide to keep 1, I will keep x16. This is just my own opinion. Cheers ..
I wonder if this is a synergy thing. The output impedance of the SU-9 (balanced) is 207Ω vs 300Ω for the X16. That does not sound like much of a difference, but depending on what's downstream, it could tip the scales in S.M.S.L.'s favor wrt dynamics and bass. My solution was to insert the excellent Topping Pre90 between the X16 and my amplifier. This also enables me to see the darn volume setting without binoculars!

sthaus

I wonder if this is a synergy thing. The output impedance of the SU-9 (balanced) is 207Ω vs 300Ω for the X16. That does not sound like much of a difference, but depending on what's downstream, it could tip the scales in S.M.S.L.'s favor wrt dynamics and bass. My solution was to insert the excellent Topping Pre90 between the X16 and my amplifier. This also enables me to see the darn volume setting without binoculars!

I love your suggestion Dsnyder, it can fix the problem but the cost adding up could lead to another different brand (over AUD 1500$ for pre+dac) .. I've heard Denafrips Aries 2 and Pontus (1250 Ω) are sound great too.

dsnyder0cnn

I love your suggestion Dsnyder, it can fix the problem but the cost adding up could lead to another different brand (over AUD 1500$ for pre+dac) .. I've heard Denafrips Aries 2 and Pontus (1250 Ω) are sound great too.
Yes, but I've also never heard a DAC that did not sound better going through a good preamp. That, and you can use the same preamp for decades while you'll change DACs more often.

flz

Trying to decide between the SMSL SU-9n and the Gustard x16. Don't need mqa (so the SU-9n is fine without it). It's a tough choice.

dsnyder0cnn

Trying to decide between the SMSL SU-9n and the Gustard x16. Don't need mqa (so the SU-9n is fine without it). It's a tough choice.
The SU-9n seems to be the better value, especially if you don't care about MQA.

Moises

I'll be doing some listening comparisons between the Gustard X16 and the iFi Audio NEO iDSD. I'm more familiar with the sound of the iFi since I've had it in the rack for a few months. It's the best sounding DAC I've had in my system, so it will be interesting to see how the X16 fairs.

One thing I really appreciate about the iFi is that everything works. Want full MQA decoding and DSD over S/PDIF? Sure, no problem. Want to thrash your amp with up to 7.7 volts of output? Check. Need a serviceable headphone amp? The NEO has one. Short on desk space? The NEO's display rotates when you set it in its vertical stand.

The iFi is a $200 more, but it's also a more complete product. For example, I was surprised to find in the X16 manual that MQA decoding is not supported on the S/PDIF inputs. I don't care much about MQA, but since MQA decoding is implemented inside the ESS ES9068S chip itself, I don't understand the reason for this limitation. But I do appreciate the heft and solid feel of the Gustard.

I'm hoping that the IR codes from the remote for my Topping Pre90/Ext90 preamp do not conflict with the X16. When I press "volume down" on the Topping remote, the NEO switches to a different input. Pretty annoying. To reduce the volume one click, I have to go down four and up three to cycle back to the same input. LOL. BTW, I have tried driving my amplifiers directly from the NEO, but that did not sound great. Detailed, but lacking dynamics and impact. A bit "grainy" too. Inserting the Pre90 makes a fairly dramatic difference…likely because the input impedance on my monoblocks is rather low.

I've rambled. Happy listening. :)
I'm also a NEO iDSD owner. I use it in conjunction with HQplayer on DSD512x48 with ASDM7ECv2 Modulator and Poly-sinc-gauss Noise filters. The output is fantastic, with more details and a stage sound feeling. Happy to see you here! I'm just a newbie among experts

Top Bottom