• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

OP
B

billdylan

I found that two or three of the older CD players and one DVD player had dropouts with my E30. Then I tried a Samsung Blu-ray player and had no problem. I bought another Samsung Blu-ray player and found it also works fine with the E30.
Hi Marty...Could you post the model numbers of your Samsubg DVD players...that would be much appreciated...thanks...Bill

OP
B

billdylan

Ah well...Just to keep everyone informed....I just Bought a new JVC dvd player and guess what ?.as bad as ever....ha ha..I must buy a table with one leg too short so that I can find a use for the topping E30...

OP
B

billdylan

Just Got A Reply from Topping about the problem..
Dear Bill

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

The general CD or DVD player jitter is relatively large. The CS8416 chip of E30 has very high requirements on the input SPDIF signal, including stability, normalization, voltage, jitter, etc. In other words, E30 requires high SPDIF signal, and the signal jitter of your CD output is large, which may lead to incompatibility. You may have encountered such a situation. We have no solution for this situation.

So ...spend your money elsewhere...Its a Door Stop masquerading as a Low cost DAC...Abysmal service....

Music1969

Major Contributor
Would love to see measurements of your CD players with an RME ADI-2 or Chord DAC output. Might be tricky logistically though.

OP
B

billdylan

Would love to see measurements of your CD players with an RME ADI-2 or Chord DAC output. Might be tricky logistically though.
Hi there...Sorry ...I tried Six different sources up to now...I just wanted it to do its job....its a $200 DAC ...the real audiophiles would be buying something better than the E30....It fails in its job now.....a reasonably priced DAC to lift the average Player in an average Hi Fi Home Set Up...the new CS 8416 chip is not working compared to the old the old AK chip...eg...Its a crap shoot that it might work for you...or not..as the case seems clear.....I'm sure it was only replaced due to AK Chip shortages in the world today......oh well...gotta laugh...thanks guys..

Music1969

Major Contributor
It fails in its job now.....

Yes noted, that's why it would be interesting to measure with these sources feeding DACs well known to be able to deal with large amounts of input jitter, like those I mentioned.

But hard to arrange such a thing I image (logistics)

OP
B

billdylan

Yes noted, that's why it would be interesting to measure with these sources feeding DACs well known to be able to deal with large amounts of input jitter, like those I mentioned.

But hard to arrange such a thing I image (logistics)
A good idea but not really viable...a shame..
All that for a $200 DAC...Wow..

If Anyone finds a source that works could you please post the brand and model number ..it would be most appreciated...?.Unfortunately it sounds like its now too big a job to find a Source capable of working with the New CS chipped Topping E30 on a 'Try It And See basis

I have replied to Toppings Service center via email hoping to get a older AK chipped model...or even just an answer that doesn't basically say " It doesn't work ...and .."Tough luck.."....

OP
B

billdylan

A good idea but not really viable...a shame..
All that for a $200 DAC...Wow..

If Anyone finds a source that works could you please post the brand and model number ..it would be most appreciated...?.Unfortunately it sounds like its now too big a job to find a Source capable of working with the New CS chipped Topping E30 on a 'Try It And See basis

I have replied to Toppings Service center via email hoping to get a older AK chipped model...or even just an answer that doesn't basically say " It doesn't work ...and .."Tough luck.."....
Hey ...last post i promise on the topping E30.I thought some might like to see my latest reply from Toppings Customer service..

Hi,

AK4493 is the DAC chip. The old version of E30 is using AK4118 as the receiver of SPDIF signal, now the new version is using CS8416. For our authorized sellers, we have asked them to make changes to their E30 product descriptions and detail pages..
(.# Not Changed on any Ebay Site I've Seen #}

Sincerely sorry for not being able to help you. We have sold out of the old version of E30, now in stock are the new version of E30.

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Best Regards.....

Very Polite ...But Helpful ?..So if thinking of Buying a Topping E30...Keep your fingers crossed ...Any Problems and you will receive very polite platitudes from Topping...But nothing more...

Me..?...I'm off to buy a DAC that works in my system...( I tried a Cambridge DAC magic Of My Mates...Like my Audio Alchemy Dac it works perfectly ).....Ha Ha...If anyone onewants to take a chance You can have My Topping E30 with CS chip for $125 posted in australia...Gee Its a Fun Life..:):):)

Last edited:

jumbo

If it's of any help I've just received an E30 that plays very nicely from my Samsung TV using it's SPDIF output.

Attachments

• tempImage3ZY49o.png
    tempImage3ZY49o.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 137

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The CS8416 chip of E30 has very high requirements on the input SPDIF signal, including stability, normalization, voltage, jitter,

I find this rather curious. The function of the chip is to deal with exactly these issues, because inherently the SPDIF signal was created to be robust against these things. All in all, the CS chip seems te be quite a failure, also from what I can read here. Sadly AKM stuff is rare, so also other manufacturers will need to switch to secondary sources for these chips. Alternatives are available from TI and Cirrus (in the form of Wolfson).

OP
B

billdylan

If it's of any help I've just received an E30 that plays very nicely from my Samsung TV using it's SPDIF output.
Kid of You To Let Me Know...It seems fine With A TV SPDIF ..Output ...I don't know why its So Crap With Cd players And Dvd Players When used with CDs......I haven't tried it on the USB with My Fairly New Lenovo laptop..But i bought It To Give My Hi fi amp cd setup a lift...I was so looking forwaard to hearing it with my Mission Amp and Rogers LS3/5A speakers...thanks for helping ...Bill

OP
B

billdylan

I find this rather curious. The function of the chip is to deal with exactly these issues, because inherently the SPDIF signal was created to be robust against these things. All in all, the CS chip seems te be quite a failure, also from what I can read here. Sadly AKM stuff is rare, so also other manufacturers will need to switch to secondary sources for these chips. Alternatives are available from TI and Cirrus (in the form of Wolfson).
Thanks...I'm a Bit Of a Luddite As Regards How The Problem was Happening ....The Replys from Topping Just felt Like ..Thank You for Your Query...have a nice Day...Not Our Problem...Push Off ...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Seriously
...Yes John ...Nice and Polite ...But..Shifting the problem to the customer.....Not good Public relations...What Do You Think ...
What's the issue? If it doesn't work why not return it? The customer service response is as clear as it can get. Just because you don't get exactly what you are asking for, doesn't mean they aren't being helpful.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You are not frustrated by the customer service reply. You are frustrated by a full month of trail and error, receiving recommendation and making decisions that don't work. Just calm down and have a great day and enjoy life. People are too hostile to each other nowadays.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the issue? If it doesn't work why not return it? The customer service response is as clear as it can get. Just because you don't get exactly what you are asking for, doesn't mean they aren't being helpful.

While I agree this sentiment you must realize that you made a significantly worse product without changing the model number. If I may ask: why did you choose for this specific chip vs one from TI or Wolfson?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
While I agree this sentiment you must realize that you made a significantly worse product without changing the model number. If I may ask: why did you choose for this specific chip vs one from TI or Wolfson?
Because
1, Wolfson doesn't have anything available.
2, TI chips was out of stock too and we have not used it ever before.
3, CS8416 is used in earlier D30 years ago without report of any issue nor complaint.

BTW, I the only one openly talks about this issue. It doesn't mean we are the only one having it.

OP
B

billdylan

The Joys Of Internet Buying during lockdown here in Australia.....I presumed One source Not Working was A One Off....I gave top Feedback to the Ebay Store in China ..as they live by Their Feedback Rating....I Don't see Topping Offering To Make any Alternative solutions...... replace it or anything.....There's nothing They Can Do. apparently ..You Are Right John I bought it and its my problem.....I Just Don't want Others To Be in the same boat....A Bad Product is Not Good.....And If You Class Nothing as being Helpful...I Do not agree whole heartedly

Good Point ..I just Bought A Highly Recommended Product...With Glowing Reviews ( On here and Elsewhere) ....And Basically Received Something Masquerading as it...As For Johns Comment ...I Have No bones to pick with Any Individual...This Is Not Some Nasty Comments Between Members ....I Am A Consumer And They Are The Manufacturer...Some How I Should Calm Down And Have a Nice Day...Thats Not a Fair Or Polite comment
...Also ...Are You Connected To Topping at All..I just saw the Comments about The Chips Being Used..

Last edited:
Top Bottom