• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD vs hi-res

Roland68

Major Contributor
The comparison with a screen resolution does not make sense.
Show us 24bit with a dynamic amplitude over 60 dB.
That makes sense, since the Nyquist – Shannon sampling theorem is also used in photography to measure resolution. The problems are very similar, only you can actually see the results visually.
You can increase the scanned resolution as you wish, as with audio Hi-Res files, but it makes no difference if the resolution of the source material is lower.
It should just be an understandable example;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best mastering? In my world, the ancient world where you find music lovers, the mastering is the picture that the producer want to give to the public.
There can only be one Master..
And producers deliberately degrades the sound quality between different resolutions is a ruffian: Boycott

The remastering is a betrayal.

what if the artist who mades the music goes back and remasters with improved technology?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
what if the artist who mades the music goes back and remasters with improved technology?
I still think it depends on the masters. If they are poor, only so much can be done IMHO.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

It's an another work. If the public has the choice, I have no issue with this.

When Coltrane works - died in 1968- is remastered with a decrease of the dynamic how you call this?
When Vertigo of Bernard Hermann is compressed how you call this?

The wish of a dead?

No one would dare to edit a photo of Cartier Bresson on the pretext that technology has evolved.

Gainsbourg was right when he said that music is a minor art. Background musak.

board

I know this subject has been debated, ad nauseum, before here but I would like to see a vote on this here. How many here believe they hear a sound quality difference between CD and "hi res"?
I made a video recently where I did null-tests between hi-res and the same material converted to CD quality. It's a very long video, as it's essentially an instructional video for how to do it at home. If you like the video, please give it a thumbs up on Youtube :)

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Mamamia What a salad. Lacks just the basics of digital aka the red book.
8bit of resolution will be enough for 99 % of music. 8 bit is 48 dB dynamic.
20*log(2^8) and with natural Ingredients.

Jean Hiraga. The men who introduced the worst subjectivism with the audiophile cable, denigrated the Japanese electronics ..and has never understood the digital.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The mp3 is the best invention in audio since the digital in 70's.
Mp3 320 kbit vs 16 bit vs 24 bit. As i wrote no one has been able to recognize a mp3 upsampled in 24/96 on hdtrack with a Beck track
I do not buy lossy file and i downsample all in 44,1 kHz. On Bandcamp it happens you have mixed for a same work bit deepth and sample rate.

the_hamster 2

Anyone ever downloaded selections on Qobuz or AMZN HD of the “Berlin Virtual Symphonics” recordings? 24bit/44.1, and when comparing like music played back at 16bit/44.1, there appears to be a qualitative improvement, correcting for loudness. As an example, try listening to the BVS version of Mozart’s Piano Sonata No. 7, then compare w/ the Ushida version at 16bit as an example…hear a difference? Not talking about pianist interpretation, mind, just the aesthetics of the playback quality. Maybe it’s just me, but I find the difference quite palpable…ymmv. BTW, streaming over a CCA > Topping E30 DAC.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

blse59

I know this subject has been debated, ad nauseum, before here but I would like to see a vote on this here. How many here believe they hear a sound quality difference between CD and "hi res"?
The only way one would hear a difference is if the mastering were different. Otherwise nobody can tell the difference in a blind test.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I can't hear the difference between CD quality and anything higher. With respect to CD vs lower resolution audio, sometimes I can hear the difference and sometimes I can't. Very much a function of the specific recording.

Reactions: Tim

antennaguru

Yes, my system is transparent enough to hear that most SACD and DVD-Audio discs sound better than the earlier RBCD version. I only stream into the toilet, so wouldn't know about that...

Newman

Major Contributor

Please bear in mind that believing you hear (casual listening) is different from actually being able to hear (controlled test).

Also bear this in mind: it's no slam dunk that 320mp3 and 256aac can be distinguished, in a controlled test, from their lossless source files, whether CD quality or high res. And even the possibility that they can be distinguished, if true, would only apply to specific brief moments in music recordings, not the vast majority of listening time. And even then, 'distinguished' is not the same as 'correctly identified', and that in turn is not the same as 'preferred'.

Which seems to put your question into perspective.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just want the unadulterated final master copy. I want hi-res as long as it's about skipping the downsampling step of converting the original final master to cd spec. So for me it's about removing an unnecessary step in the chain. Not about whether or not I can hear a difference. So I guess provence is more important to me. Like I want something that authenticates that I'm receiving master quality...

Newman

Major Contributor
You won't get it.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I just want the unadulterated final master copy. I want hi-res as long as it's about skipping the downsampling step of converting the original final master to cd spec. So for me it's about removing an unnecessary step in the chain. Not about whether or not I can hear a difference. So I guess provence is more important to me. Like I want something that authenticates that I'm receiving master quality...
Go down on earth or produce your own recordings.
The dithering is unaudible whatever you wrote.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a phenomenon I've noticed. I can listen to a brief (20 sec) extract of music on both Spotify and Qobuz HR, and I can't reliably distinguish between them. But if I listen to the entire work on both services, I am much more satisfied with the experience after Qobuz.

I'm fully aware of the nonobjective nature of this observation, but I nonetheless find it interesting. I believe there's a holistic listening experience that can't be fully captured in short-duration ABX testing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a phenomenon I've noticed. I can listen to a brief (20 sec) extract of music on both Spotify and Qobuz HR, and I can't reliably distinguish between them. But if I listen to the entire work on both services, I am much more satisfied with the experience after Qobuz.

I'm fully aware of the nonobjective nature of this observation, but I nonetheless find it interesting. I believe there's a holistic listening experience that can't be fully captured in short-duration ABX testing.
Do you think if you were blinded to the source you might still have the same feeling?

Top Bottom