• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, only the KH120 has a metal housing, the KH80 one is from polymere composite , like for example also the Genelec M series was, not that it matters since they are/were all well engineered.
My bad, you're right. I'd have sworn that I had checked its specs recently - must have been those of the KH120... :facepalm:

NeoZs99

Hopefully the 8340 measures as good or even better. The 8341 are definitely out of my budget and I'm seriously considering a 8030 for my desktop..

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
amazing how they're nearly identical and both clearly sound more tipped up in the highs than the source, but if I'm playing these tracks through my Genelec 8350, am I now pushing the highs a bit further up? LOL
Hi Spocko,
Have you already felt limited in SPL by the various Genelec models you have?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Spocko,
Have you already felt limited in SPL by the various Genelec models you have?
I won’t know until I begin stress testing my home theater at reference SPL but with subwoofer support I highly doubt my 7x 835x bed channels will be SPL limited!

elvisizer

it's funny since ASR hates HATES HATES ATC . . .but in my time in studios, I've always prefered Genelec and ATC monitors.
Very interesting to see the divergence on those 2 brands here.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
it's funny since ASR hates HATES HATES ATC . . .but in my time in studios, I've always prefered Genelec and ATC monitors.

Who hates ATC and why? Hate is a very strong word many times used lightly.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I'm part of ASR, I don't hate ATC.

alex30

Hi all,

I m interested in the 8320 or 8330 , but the more i read about the less i know what to buy

On the Genelec forum they usually say, the bigger the speaker the better , but here i see in the review that the 8320 are better!

How to choose? How to decide for a new customer like me?

The 8330 cost 500 euros more per pair so is there any worth to buy them or stick to the 8320 is enough?

Moreover, I dont want to buy a subwoofer, my wallet will cry so much :D

I wil use them at 1 m maximum around from me so , the 8330 will be too big in the volume to use or not ?

I will do mixing, use them with a Maschine+ (standalone synth/sampler/groovebox), and listening.

Is the spectrum of the sound good enough to get proper mixing with the 8320 or the 8330 are certainly better and worth the 500 euros more?

Is the calibration system really worth it or models like 8020/8030 are sufficient?

I need some advices , thanks...

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
ASR doesn't hate ATC - considering we've seen all of one tested, it's not enough to pass judgement on a brand. Besides, their dome mid is stuff of legend for a reason.

Hi all,

I m interested in the 8320 or 8330 , but the more i read about the less i know what to buy

On the Genelec forum they usually say, the bigger the speaker the better , but here i see in the review that the 8320 are better!

How to choose? How to decide for a new customer like me?

The 8330 cost 500 euros more per pair so is there any worth to buy them or stick to the 8320 is enough?

Moreover, I dont want to buy a subwoofer, my wallet will cry so much :D

I wil use them at 1 m maximum around from me so , the 8330 will be too big in the volume to use or not ?

I will do mixing, use them with a Maschine+ (standalone synth/sampler/groovebox), and listening.

Is the spectrum of the sound good enough to get proper mixing with the 8320 or the 8330 are certainly better and worth the 500 euros more?

Is the calibration system really worth it or models like 8020/8030 are sufficient?

I need some advices , thanks...

The 8320 doesn't extend as low and doesn't have the SPL capabilities of the 8330 (not that either get particularly loud...), but its directivity behavior is better.

Last edited:

elvisizer

I'm part of ASR, I don't hate ATC.
ASR doesn't hate ATC - considering we've seen all of one tested, it's not enough to pass judgement on a brand. Besides, their dome mid is stuff of legend for a reason.
go do a search for ATC here you'll see what I'm talking about- maybe I'm just super sensitive? :)

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something small like this would be great for surround sound, but the irregular reflections seem like they would be worse in a ceiling corner which is the only place for them as surrounds... And dang the cost for a tiny speaker! Time to Jerry rig a Kali IN-5 or try to reproduce their mounting brackets.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
go do a search for ATC here you'll see what I'm talking about- maybe I'm just super sensitive? :)

Only one has been measured but I think you're right. I hate them because they purposefully use archaic engineering and legacy components to provide high cost products with bad dispersion, bad extension, and bad crossovers relative to competitors who actually pay attention to diffraction, internal reflections, modern active crossovers, DSP correction, and dispersion with minimal lobes.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Only one has been measured but I think you're right. I hate them because they purposefully use archaic engineering and legacy components to provide high cost products with bad dispersion, bad extension, and bad crossovers relative to competitors who actually pay attention to diffraction, internal reflections, modern active crossovers, DSP correction, and dispersion with minimal lobes.

Guys I think we caught the so called "ASR" who hates ATC. Now seriously, good points. But I'm not hating , just not considering :D

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I could hear a bit of bloated bass at times which is clearly room modes so look forward to testing the unit with GLM.

So, can we look forward to you testing these with GLM? :)

radio3

Could anyone explain what the advantages of having GLM would be if you already have Dirac Live and might prefer to have more space efficient subwoofers than the ones offered by Genelec?

I wonder if might also make sense to “stack” GLM and Dirac where the GLM would be running full range and the Dirac limited to bass to midrange. The reason I might do that is that I like to optimize my setup for more than one head position. I like everyone on a sofa to have good sound (which Dirac at least supposedly does). GLM really seems to be for one listening position.

YSC

Major Contributor
Could anyone explain what the advantages of having GLM would be if you already have Dirac Live and might prefer to have more space efficient subwoofers than the ones offered by Genelec?

I wonder if might also make sense to “stack” GLM and Dirac where the GLM would be running full range and the Dirac limited to bass to midrange. The reason I might do that is that I like to optimize my setup for more than one head position. I like everyone on a sofa to have good sound (which Dirac at least supposedly does). GLM really seems to be for one listening position.
AFAIK GLM can do multiple location calibration and they mostly tune below 200hz, so practically the same, unless you are going in the coaxial 83x1, if you already use DIRAC there's no point to go for GLM, it's more of a fool proof and convenience thing

radio3

AFAIK GLM can do multiple location calibration and they mostly tune below 200hz, so practically the same, unless you are going in the coaxial 83x1, if you already use DIRAC there's no point to go for GLM, it's more of a fool proof and convenience thing
What does it do different for the coaxial models?

YSC

Major Contributor
What does it do different for the coaxial models?
the GLM didn't, but the 83x1 have better vertical dispersion just like any coaxial and is very flat off the box, so you are buying them for the genelec quality and FR, while the 83x0 you have no point to do so if you don't use GLM

Top Bottom