• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

JWAmerica

The problem with the Wireless II is that you are dependend on the internal amplification/dac-combo. While this is supposedly not a bad circuit by design, I've heard complaints about them sounding "clinical" and "cold". Andrew Robinson on yt claimed this f.e.

In his verdict he is referring to the incredible ability of the passive LS50 Metas to "show the sound signature of your amp/dac" and since he was using high tier amplification the passive Metas sounded warm, lush and awesome to him, whereas the Wireless II were a step down in that regard.

Sounds like he prefers coloration from his amplifier/DAC.

Moosi

Sounds like he deals in bull****
Well, if his opinion was bought somehow it would'nt make sense to praise the less expensive model over the more expensive one.

Everyones ears are different and after all it is not all about precision when it comes to music. It is about dynamics (sparkle), preference (warm,clinical) and precision (detailing). And that changes from amp to amp, so I see him having a point with the Metas being more adjustable to ones liking. Or is there such thing as a "perfect amp"? And if so, did they build it into the WII?

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, if his opinion was bought somehow it would'nt make sense to praise the less expensive model over the more expensive one.

Everyones ears are different and after all it is not all about precision when it comes to music. It is about dynamics (sparkle), preference (warm,clinical) and precision (detailing). And that changes from amp to amp, so I see him having a point with the Metas being more adjustable to ones liking. Or is there such thing as a "perfect amp"? And if so, did they build it into the WII?

An amp should do nothing but amplify the signal, if it adds or subtracts anything from the signal it's not really an amp anymore, I think that's what people are getting at when they question those sorts of statements.

Moosi

An amp should do nothing but amplify the signal
Yes and a fire shouldn't do nothing but burn. In fact there is a difference if I light my room with a wooden torch compared to a gas burner. If "absolute neutrality" was the ultimate goal to be achived, there would only be studio monitors.

The mere fact that you can setup the passive Metas with any amp you want is a pro, not a con for me, but that would apply to about any active to passive speaker comparison.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
The problem with the Wireless II is that you are dependend on the internal amplification/dac-combo. While this is supposedly not a bad circuit by design, I've heard complaints about them sounding "clinical" and "cold". Andrew Robinson on yt claimed this f.e.

In his verdict he is referring to the incredible ability of the passive LS50 Metas to "show the sound signature of your amp/dac" and since he was using high tier amplification the passive Metas sounded warm, lush and awesome to him, whereas the Wireless II were a step down in that regard.

Unfortunately Andrew Robinson is not a reliable source.
If you watch more of his reviews you will notice that he is biased and also has commercial interests that influence his reviews heavily.

MarkWinston

Nothing wrong in criticizing products you dont like. Others will most probably have a different opinion than yours on a certain product, doesnt mean they are biased. I love the Meta, some hate it with a passion, that doesnt mean they are biased.

Newman

Major Contributor
Others will most probably have a different opinion than yours on a certain product, doesnt mean they are biased. I love the Meta, some hate it with a passion, that doesnt mean they are biased.

mmmm, dig a little deeper into human perceptions, and you will find that is exactly what they are...along with you and I.

testp

Not that im posting it in the right thread, but just saw Buchard is releasing improved S400 MKII... hope someone sends one in for testing...

Newman

Major Contributor
Right. Everyone has an agenda, everything is a conspiracy. Accusations flung without an ounce of evidence. Mmmhmm.

No. The science of human perception tells us that nearly all our casual listening impressions, our “different opinions on a certain product” that you say “doesn’t mean they are biased”, are in fact mainly dominated by cognitive biases overwhelming the actual sensory data, the sound waves. If you reckon the need for DBT is an agenda and a conspiracy, not based on an ounce of evidence, then it will be my turn to say, “mmmhmm”.

cheers

RiseFall

I am in trouble with the LS50 Meta.

Three weeks ago, I bought a brand new Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 with the aim to buy a complete Lyngdorf set (satellites and subs).

The room is a square 4,5x4,5x2,8 meters, it's half-treated with acoustic panels which mostly are bass-traps.

Before to buy the definite system, with the Lyngdorf speakers, I had a curiosity to try the Metas, just for fun, because I had the opportunity of buy them new and return after 30 days without loss.

Then I paired the TDAI-3400 (new) with the Metas (new).

The weird of the correction is the RoomPerfect, istead of limit bass (as did Dirac in my previous setup), is adding more bass.

I don't know if is related to the Metas only or if it's a common fact with the RP.

Btw, I am in trouble because, after almost a month, I think the pairing is fabolous, bass, mids and highs are great and, sometimes, excellent.

The only issue is related to the mid-bass region, which, is always been a problem of my room I guess.

Mostly of the genres are immune to that issue, and the presentation is balanced.

But with some genre as hip-hop, dance and some pop, where there are too much energy in the mid-bass areas, imagine the beat of the electric bass for example, I have a too much punchier presentation that is not confortable to my ears.

The reason of this post is: according to you, it makes sense to return the Kefs and buy a complete Lyngdorf set, or, it could be a downgrade instead?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I am in trouble with the LS50 Meta.

Three weeks ago, I bought a brand new Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 with the aim to buy a complete Lyngdorf set (satellites and subs).

The room is a square 4,5x4,5x2,8 meters, it's half-treated with acoustic panels which mostly are bass-traps.

Before to buy the definite system, with the Lyngdorf speakers, I had a curiosity to try the Metas, just for fun, because I had the opportunity of buy them new and return after 30 days without loss.

Then I paired the TDAI-3400 (new) with the Metas (new).

The weird of the correction is the RoomPerfect, istead of limit bass (as did Dirac in my previous setup), is adding more bass.

I don't know if is related to the Metas only or if it's a common fact with the RP.

Btw, I am in trouble because, after almost a month, I think the pairing is fabolous, bass, mids and highs are great and, sometimes, excellent.

The only issue is related to the mid-bass region, which, is always been a problem of my room I guess.

Mostly of the genres are immune to that issue, and the presentation is balanced.

But with some genre as hip-hop, dance and some pop, where there are too much energy in the mid-bass areas, imagine the beat of the electric bass for example, I have a too much punchier presentation that is not confortable to my ears.

The reason of this post is: according to you, it makes sense to return the Kefs and buy a complete Lyngdorf set, or, it could be a downgrade instead?
share your in-room measurements

KMO

We need pictures!

Here are the requested 7.1 pics (of 5 of them at least).

2021-08-17-051-small.jpg 2021-08-17-054-small.jpg

Amplification comes from Denon AVR-4308 (with Audyssey Pro kit). The AVR-4308 seems to be fully capable of driving 7 LS50s - I understand they don't make receivers like that any more. I had initially thought I might need to splash for a multichannel power amp, but the money went on the KEF KF92 subwoofer instead.

Because the stands are short for the surrounds, I have to remove the sofa headrests for optimum critical listening. But on the other hand the low height helps to make them unobtrusive enough to not get objections to having speakers standing everywhere. (Previous set up was 5.1 KHT2005 on their slim pole stands, with surrounds tucked in the corners, so the LS50 Metas are comparatively obtrusive).

Crossover is currently set to 80Hz for all speakers. Left side of TV has a 50Hz null (hitting L speaker and the potential left-of-TV sub position), and right side of TV has a 110Hz null (hitting R speaker and current sub position). With 80Hz crossover, 50Hz comes mainly from the sub on the right, and 110Hz can come from L and/or C, even if it's nulled for R.

LS50s get a mixture of port bung choices, based on REW checks, to try to equalise direct response (no Audyssey and/or bass management). R gets a half bung for being a bit too close to a corner; SL and SBR get full bung for wall/corner placement; SBL and SR are next to open doorways, which apparently means they need no bung.

Still plenty of scope for more experimentation on placement and room treatments - but at least the speakers are sorted!

Interestingly, out of a sample of 8 speakers, one turned out to be faulty - one of the first (and oldest) pair that came from the dealer's stock. Took a while to conclude it actually was faulty, not just a weird room artefact from that front right corner, but checking REW measurements confirmed it:

LR distortion.png

That measurement was at 80dB, 30cm. Turns out a 2%+ distortion peak was not super-obvious, at least to me, but it did eventually niggle me enough to make me investigate. (There was no corresponding significant frequency response flaw). No problem getting it replaced on warranty, and the original was sent back to KEF's Maidstone HQ for investigation. Apparently a failed crossover.

KMO

Possibly unsurprisingly, the LS50 Meta just picked up an industry award for the last year. (Unsurprisingly cos it's quite good, and also because the award is voted on by the press, and we already know the press loved it).

EISA-Award-KEF-LS50-Meta.png

The original, EISA Award-winning LS50 loudspeaker was widely acclaimed, but KEF’s engineers have taken it to a new level with numerous detail revisions including the use of Metamaterial Absorption Technology to further control unwanted driver resonances. That may seem like a small internal upgrade, but the result is a magnificent compact speaker capable of a huge soundstage, generous bass and terrific imaging. It’s an already impressive speaker now transformed into something truly special and, at the price, is the very best of its genre. If space is tight – or even if it isn’t – these remarkable speakers are the ones to have, and the strikingly attractive looks further enhance their user-appeal.

The LS50 Wireless II also picked up a "wireless standmount" prize.

KMO

First of all thanks! ;)
Really interesting, I like the optics of the speakers. Center one looks kind of squeezed, backside looks a lot better with the white contrast. I think I never listened to 7.1 in a private home up to now but I can imagine it sounds impressive.

They're certainly a feature. If they weren't pretty, they wouldn't be here. Really happy with them. The colour changes significantly with the lighting - as in those 2 pictures. Stands are a perfect match, and being bolted I don't have to worry about any serious damage from carelessly bumping them. (Only scratches...)

The fronts aren't as squeezed as they look - the photo's flattened it. The L+R are over 30cm away from the wall, and the centre's in line with them, so the same. The surrounds only get 7cm clearance...

There seems to be enough room for the centre to breath in that stand, with its fully open sides - its FR is wobblier than L+R, but not disastrously so. And not hitting a null, at least. Vertical clearance with the tilt/isolation foam was tight - had to do some design sketches to calculate exactly how much to trim it to get maximum tilt and just clear the top shelf's support bar. I considered the thinner+wider KEF R2c, but that wasn't thin enough to let me raise the top shelf, so not a win. Also tried having the centre on the top shelf, and raising the TV on a new stand above it, but we found that left the TV too high up.

PS that yellow front wall looks less horrible in the flesh - you barely notice it :) Going to have to redecorate at some point...

Moosi

Here are the requested 7.1 pics (of 5 of them at least).
While I cannot do other than compliment this man for his spendings habits, I have to say that TV looks ridiculous with that surround set. You should've bought two speakers less and get a decent sized TV that will match your sound system. You have a philharmonic orchestra in your ears and a puppet theater to watch. It is is very concerning.

Top Bottom