• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

HenkVleuten

Ok, I was referring to another poster about random dropouts using usb. In your case I don't think changing filters would make a difference as you have found out with the MQA/Pcm switching issue. Maybe try another streamer if you can? Maybe your Allo and the Gustard usb connection are not syncing properly for some reason.(a guess there). Try even another usb cable too, maybe use the one supplied with your Gustard.

Changing usb cable didnt solved the issue (from my pinkfaun back to the supplied), ill try switching my allo with my neighbours one, hope that make something more clear...

HenkVleuten

Are you using any USB noise reducing devices? I used an IFI one between my iPad and the DAC, which seemed to have caused intermittent static-like noise from time to time. Removing the "improvement" seems to have cured this.
No devices like you named are in the system

HenkVleuten

No devices like you named are in the system
Additional, I also dropped a service support request at the volumio team, they reacted so far very fast, my logfile is delivered and waiting on a response. If there is any news from their side I will post it here as well

Cirodx

I read that the x16 has problems with small pauses in the sound during music playback, I understand with the coaxial cable, solutions?
as source I use a low dx220

Cirodx

I have gustard x16 and topping a90, do you think it is better to adjust the volume from the dac or from the amplifier?

roller54

HenkVleuten, I had the exact same issue. Try raising the buffer size to 1024 samples in the Gustard USB Audio Device Control Panel and see if it resolves the issue.

sthaus

Gustard x16 is sound better than SMSL SU9 in my taste .. more crisp and clean, wide stage .. Since I owned both of them .. not sure x16 vs x26pro and vs topping d90se

Cirodx

The sound of the hifiman sundara with topping A90 + gustard x16 is a bit harsh and tiring, if I turn down the volume dac to -14 the sound softens a lot, why?

Cirodx

No, lowering the volume dac the sound seems less dynamic and certainly warmer.

kopczas

lowering the volume

So if you turn A90 volume down, doesn`t it results the same?
I have Goldplanar GL2000 with X16 and A90 , dac`s volume is always set to max, I`ve never noticed any harshness.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just had a major hiccup. I was playing my hard drive DSDs from Roon and had lots of crackles and pops. Seems when I played anything from Tidal, however, it was OK. I then lost sound altogether. It took me a while to eliminate the various causes I suspected, one by one....until I finally pulled the plug on the Gustard & rebooted and that fixed it.

Now all seems well again.

I think this started when I moved my computer and had to temporarily remove the USB cable.

Last edited:

anphex

Forum Donor
No, lowering the volume dac the sound seems less dynamic and certainly warmer.

Try the MSLOW filter. I found that it's "softer" than the fast ones.

As for using the Gustard a few weeks now: no problems, no bad surprises so far with optical, bluetooth and usb. Couldn't try the other modes so far but in my current setup there is no need.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Same experience with mine. I have written about it in the review thread. No idea why, since the HD, DXD and MQA playback is perfect. DSD shows exactly that mild crackling noise in the silent moments in the middle of a DSD track. The defect is reproducible. In the review thread I published a MATLAB script that saves a wav test file with a signal suitable to identify the noise simply by listening to it. The wav file is replayed perfectly. When you convert the file to DSD (with e.g. jRiver), the noise appears clearly.

I hadn't noticed it before......but all of a sudden, it is clear as day. All my DSD64 tracks had crackling noises.

Funny---when I play from Roon, it converts to PCM but I get the crackling. And if I skip Roon and play the album from Amazon Music HD direct to the Gustard - I get crackling. But if I play the same album from JRiver using an ISO file and DSD on the Gustard, it is clean --no noise. All FLAC and MQA is clean as well.

So, I wasn't going to do the fix. Now, I can't stand it....I have to. If I buy the Amazon kit, is the cable that comes with it sufficient or do I have to buy a 4 pin cable?

Last edited:

Cirodx

Try the MSLOW filter. I found that it's "softer" than the fast ones.

As for using the Gustard a few weeks now: no problems, no bad surprises so far with optical, bluetooth and usb. Couldn't try the other modes so far but in my current setup there is no need.
I tried the various filters, I think the best for the sundara is H-FAST

misureaudio

I hadn't noticed it before......but all of a sudden, it is clear as day. All my DSD64 tracks had crackling noises.

Funny---when I play from Roon, it converts to PCM but I get the crackling. And if I skip Roon and play the album from Amazon Music HD direct to the Gustard - I get crackling. But if I play the same album from JRiver using an ISO file and DSD on the Gustard, it is clean --no noise. All FLAC and MQA is clean as well.

So, I wasn't going to do the fix. Now, I can't stand it....I have to. If I buy the Amazon kit, is the cable that comes with it sufficient or do I have to buy a 4 pin cable?
I didn't fix my X16, I sent it back to Aoshida via Amazon. It's advisable to follow the tutorial by Gustard in the review thread. Some forumers can confirm that the fw update was done with success. Gustard was very solicit in publishing the fix. Better to see all the details involved reading their tutorial.

Top Bottom