• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Sopra No 1 vs Kanta No 1

ralph

komhst

Both are excellent loudspeakers! It's a matter of money, how much do you want to spend, which one you choose.
Whatever you choose will be an excellent choice.

OP
R

ralph

They're probably not bad, but not worth their price in any way.
I understand your point and thanks for sharing it. I should have mentioned that this time it's not just about great sound but also how the speakers are looking like, case quality and the like and I'm willing to pay for that. How much in terms of extra sound quality I get compared to a Focal Aria 906 that would still be interesting to know.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd say not much. In the end, all those Focal models are 2-way speakers with similar concepts and raw drivers. What about KEF? They look quite nice and have a much greater objective performance/cost ratio.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
Focals have excellent value for money, if you buy them on right places. There can be found with 30-50% discount from MRSP. Of course, were are talking about Europe.

mmeysarosh

Soundstage has measurements on both models and Sopra 1 is superior performing speaker to the Kanta 1.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...oudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...oudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements

Objectively, the response in the listening window is a bit more linear and there is less directivity error as you go wider off axis. Additionally, the distortion on the Sopra 1 on the woofer is a bit lower at the reference level Soundstage test, with the Kanta showing a bit more distortion into the midrange while the Sopra goes below their threshold at around 150hz. They also seem to better control a small distortion at the lower end of the crossover range in the Sopra over the Kanta.

Efficiency is about the same and the impedance shares a lot of similarities, so I wouldn't expect one to be much harder to driver than the other.

I do prefer the range of options the Kanta provides on colors, but the Sopra isn't a bad looking product. I do believe Focal is a bit better on their bookshelf models over their towers due to how they change the midrange position and angle on the towers.

DSJR

Major Contributor
If only more pro companies offered domestically acceptable grilles at least for more of their products (I appreciate wood and fancy paint finishes cost, but a grille/body/baffle-stocking* or something on the stock dark grey box finishes would help so much for more domestic users to get a better sound for less money quite often...

*Linn in their wisdom once offered some of their models with a groove around the near-front edge, where a lightly elasticated 'front grille' could be fitted over the drivers and the elastic into said slot and finished with a trim ring. Please excuse the description as I see it clearly but can't describe very well. The material was a fine negligee type (oo-er missus), acoustically transparent and basically sat on the baffle, seemingly having little to no effect on the tweeter output. Harbeth use a 'frameless frame' style of grille fret and again, close proximity to the tweeter actually smooths tweeter output rather than hinders it judging by measurements I've seen - there's also a claim regarding the grille cloth helping port damping but not sure if this claim's been tested yet.... Having said fine covering must help with dust accumulation as well (ATC sadly now allow their sticky domes and cones to attract all manner of dust and so on on many of their models and not sure it's removable)

I liked the Kanta 1 but less so the 2, although this latter could have been a potentially weedy and bland into this load sounding Naim all-in-one streamer box driving them..

OP
R

ralph

I'd say not much. In the end, all those Focal models are 2-way speakers with similar concepts and raw drivers. What about KEF? They look quite nice and have a much greater objective performance/cost ratio.
I was considering Kef but already have a pair of R100 at another place in my flat :rolleyes:. I do like them but want to try out another manufacturer. And from a design / case work perspective (my subjective one) the pricier Focal speakers are superior.

OP
R

ralph

Soundstage has measurements on both models and Sopra 1 is superior performing speaker to the Kanta 1.

Objectively, the response in the listening window is a bit more linear and there is less directivity error as you go wider off axis. Additionally, the distortion on the Sopra 1 on the woofer is a bit lower at the reference level Soundstage test, with the Kanta showing a bit more distortion into the midrange while the Sopra goes below their threshold at around 150hz. They also seem to better control a small distortion at the lower end of the crossover range in the Sopra over the Kanta.

Efficiency is about the same and the impedance shares a lot of similarities, so I wouldn't expect one to be much harder to driver than the other.

I do prefer the range of options the Kanta provides on colors, but the Sopra isn't a bad looking product. I do believe Focal is a bit better on their bookshelf models over their towers due to how they change the midrange position and angle on the towers.

Thanks! I didn't know about the soundstagenetwork measurements (just in case someone else is looking them up, the one for the Kanta is at https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...oudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements)
According to my local dealer Focal reduced the number of available color finishes for the Kanta (at least for Germany), the fancier ones are gone. Would be great if you could select your own custom finish, I would go for a yellow front with a walnut case :)

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
See additional measurements from James Larson on the Sopra. I think it looks pretty good. I don't think you can go wrong -- they should sound very good, and should be a good choice, particularly when you combine looks and sound.

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/focal-sopra-nb01/focal-sopra-nb01-conclusion

At those prices (in the US), you are not far from the D&D 8c Studio or Genelec (I don't know if you can request special colors for all of their speakers but I know some of them you can). It depends on what "look" you like, of course.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
At those prices (in the US), you are not far from the D&D 8c Studio or Genelec (I don't know if you can request special colors for all of their speakers but I know some of them you can). It depends on what "look" you like, of course.
And the 8c and genelecs are active with digital inputs, the future.

Amps in active speakers are having an easy load, no filter, just a speaker. Built/selected for the job. Oh yes, and did I mention the onboard dsp and room correction with the 8C or genelec glm?

Last edited:
OP
R

ralph

And the 8c and genelecs are active with digital inputs, the future.

Amps in active speakers are having an easy load, no filter, just a speaker. Built/selected for the job. Oh yes, and did I mention the onboard dsp and room correction with the 8C or genelec glm?

I didn't even consider active speakers, partly because I've got a decent amp but also due to their designs. DSP and room correction are a big plus though ...

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
I didn't even consider active speakers, partly because I've got a decent amp but also due to their designs. DSP and room correction are a big plus though ...
Design is personal taste, but the 8c are looking great imho.

1629130822613.jpeg

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Thanks for the sharing the photo, they are looking great but far more expensive than the Sopra in Germany, the price of the sopra is my limit.
True, but they’re probably better and you can sell most of your other equipment.

Top Bottom