• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Relaxing at home with Dutch&Dutch

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are rather a lot of ads but if you scroll down far enough eventually they stop.
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several strange things about this photo:

1. The speaker has no wires going to it. It needs, at a minimum, a power cord and an Ethernet cable and, in most setups, an XLR/AES cable.

2. The stand is so small that the heavy 8C would easily topple over.

3. The purported listener is reclining on the couch looking at an LP cover (I will not make the obvious comment on what cover it is), though most 8C users probably wouldn't listen to LPs.

4. The man on the couch is not in the sweet spot and, in fact, is in the area where the midrange will be canceled by the 8Cs' venting.

5. The man on the couch looks exactly like Martijn Mensink, the head of Dutch & Dutch.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are several strange things about this photo:

1. The speaker has no wires going to it. It needs, at a minimum, a power cord and an Ethernet cable and, in most setups, an XLR/AES cable.

2. The stand is so small that the heavy 8C would easily topple over.

3. The purported listener is reclining on the couch looking at an LP cover (I will not make the obvious comment on what cover it is), though most 8C users probably wouldn't listen to LPs.

4. The man on the couch is not in the sweet spot and, in fact, is in the area where the midrange will be canceled by the 8Cs' venting.

5. The man on the couch looks exactly like Martijn Mensink, the head of Dutch & Dutch.

Also, why is there a giant white turd floating in the room ?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Giant Dutch cabbage white cocoon?

Grave

The snake oil ads, they burn my eyes.

Theo

It is signed dutchdutch.com:confused:
Which does not mean though that these speakers are bad...although terribly expensive!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is signed dutchdutch.com:confused:
Which does not mean though that these speakers are bad...although terribly expensive!

Terribly expensive compared to what? The Kii Threes? Wilson Tune Tots? Any other speakers offering comparable performance?

No.

Theo

For me as a regular customer. Not so much if you’re a professional or if you compare with high-end fashion.
There does not seem to be much high cost manufacturing, only very good concept and engineering which give them (and Kii) a competitive advantage which they turn into profit - that’s fair game. Maybe I’m wrong but I hope though that competitors will appear soon and propose less expensive products with equivalent sound:)
You could compare with devialet phantoms, which are a failure AFA sound is concerned, but seem to imply costly manufacturing and are still less than half the price. Not the same market though...

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could compare with devialet phantoms, which are a failure AFA sound is concerned

The Phantoms actually sound very good, but they're regular speakers. The 8Cs and the Kiis are not. The Phantoms' look is not to my liking, so I've avoided them.

More generally, if you're not willing to pay for good engineering, then what are you willing to pay for?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Phantoms actually sound very good, but they're regular speakers. The 8Cs and the Kiis are not. The Phantoms' look is not to my liking, so I've avoided them.

More generally, if you're not willing to pay for good engineering, then what are you willing to pay for?

I've heard the Phantoms and the Kiis but not the D&Ds.
In my completely subjective opinion the Kiis are significantly better than the Phantoms.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard the Phantoms and the Kiis but not the D&Ds.
In my completely subjective opinion the Kiis are significantly better than the Phantoms.

Heard the Phantoms and the Apple speakers (whatever their names) at an Apple Store. The conditions were the same: On a table same source, tried to match level with my iPhone and an SPL app ... Preferred the Apple thingie tenfold.. Cannot understand for the life of me what is so great about the Phantoms :confused: ... I came up biased toward them ...I thought they were going to be superior ...No so to those ears on that day.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard the Phantoms and the Apple speakers (whatever their names) at an Apple Store. The conditions were the same: On a table same source, tried to match level with my iPhone and an SPL app ... Preferred the Apple thingie tenfold.. Cannot understand for the life of me what is so great about the Phantoms :confused: ... I came up biased toward them ...I thought they were going to be superior ...No so to those ears on that day.

No speakers sound good on a tabletop. The Phantoms are good on their stands in conventional stereo listening placement, as I confirmed on a visit to KJ West One in London.

Top Bottom