• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introduction:

The Dragon

Forum Donor
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around this site for about 3 months now and have really enjoyed it. However, I found this place a little late, (after I had already purchased a new DAC). I did manage to read the measurement data of the Schiit Yggdrasil before I committed to the purchase of one. Thank God. I would have been very upset. I had already purchased a Schiit Multibit and Eitr for my computer to play 16/44.1 FLAC files as an interim solution. My long range plan WAS to purchase a Yggdrasil. I truly believe this is the case for a lot of our fellow audiophiles with an upgrade path in mind. Schiit has a very effective marketing strategy in that regard. It really is unfortunate the marketing hype surrounding the Yggdrasil is not supported with performance in this case. In fact, I don't believe the folks at Schiit anticipated a thorough examination of this piece by a private party with industry standard test equipment.

My issues with marketing hype do not only extend to Schiit. I believe we will find this is the case with many models from many vendors. Although, I hope this is not a mainstream issue with today's audio designers and manufacturers. As an engineer, I always put forth my best efforts to design the highest performing product within the design constraints and budget (cost, selling price, operating parameters, etc.). This is done by writing specifications (minimum required performance), doing trade studies, designing, building and then TESTING to ensure the product meets specifications. When you do this for the Department of Defense, failing to pass a requirement means expensive re-work or acceptance of substandard performance with a waiver. Back to the Yggdrasil measurements for a moment. The fact that Schiit is using measurement data from a forum member ("Atomicbob" if I remember correctly) as official measurement data suggests that they may not be testing their own designs for compliance with a set of requirements. I wonder if they even have any performance requirements specified for this product at all. This is so often the case these days when "all-in-one" integrated circuits make consumer level products so easy to make.

so, I am very excited to see some of the marketing hype getting dispelled by reliable measurement data. I am amazed at the dedication that Amir is showing to the audio community by investing so much of his time and money into this. I am very impressed! Nothing frustrates me more than a bunch marketing hype for the sole purpose of separating us trusting souls from our hard-earned cash. It's only natural to WANT to believe that most of the companies out there are really trying to improve upon the state of the art or trying to provide high value products in good faith. Amir and others on this site are really doing a service for the audiophile community by revealing true performance. Thank you all!

I've been around long enough to have seen early attempts at leveling the playing field with standardized specifications (such as the FTC standards). I also remember the industry publications and reviews back then had measurements. (yes, I am old - but not too old) My education is in electronic engineering (focus on digital communications). I'm am very interested to see continued measurements of new equipment - since I don't have an extensive collection of test equipment of my own available. Maybe one day.

My current stable of DACs include:

Chord Qutest
Schiit Modi Multibit
Behringer UHD404
Aragon D2A (vintage PCM58 based device with fully discrete analog section) - This is one amazing sounding DAC. It works well using the Schiit Eitr to play FLAC files.
Aragon D2A2 (another vintage DAC. This one is PCM63 based with discrete analog section)
Pro-Ject DAC Box S FL (newer TDA1543 (4) NOS type) - This is one sweet sounding DAC
Emotiva XDA-2 Gen2 (AD1955 based device with USB)
Generic Chinese designed TDA1387 (4) with USB only input and RCA out (sounds absolutely amazing for $25)
Generic Chinese Designed PCM2706 based DAC/USB to SPDIF converter
I also ordered one of the Topping DX10 units to try based on Amir's measurements. Waiting for it's arrival.

DACs I want to try:
Audio Note AN4.1 (transformer I to V conversion and tube based power supply - COOL STUFF but expensive)
Audio Note AN5.1 signature (Same as above, but even more Robust architecture. I would give real money or travel a good distance to hear this one)
Border Patrol (I forget which model. Supposed to be a close copy of the AN4.1)

Anyhow, happy to be here. I hope to learn something and help wherever/whenever I can.

Well, how is that for a first post?

"The Dragon"

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around this site for about 3 months now and have really enjoyed it. However, I found this place a little late, (after I had already purchased a new DAC). I did manage to read the measurement data of the Schiit Yggdrasil before I committed to the purchase of one. Thank God. I would have been very upset. I had already purchased a Schiit Multibit and Eitr for my computer to play 16/44.1 FLAC files as an interim solution. My long range plan WAS to purchase a Yggdrasil. I truly believe this is the case for a lot of our fellow audiophiles with an upgrade path in mind. Schiit has a very effective marketing strategy in that regard. It really is unfortunate the marketing hype surrounding the Yggdrasil is not supported with performance in this case. In fact, I don't believe the folks at Schiit anticipated a thorough examination of this piece by a private party with industry standard test equipment.

My issues with marketing hype do not only extend to Schiit. I believe we will find this is the case with many models from many vendors. Although, I hope this is not a mainstream issue with today's audio designers and manufacturers. As an engineer, I always put forth my best efforts to design the highest performing product within the design constraints and budget (cost, selling price, operating parameters, etc.). This is done by writing specifications (minimum required performance), doing trade studies, designing, building and then TESTING to ensure the product meets specifications. When you do this for the Department of Defense, failing to pass a requirement means expensive re-work or acceptance of substandard performance with a waiver. Back to the Yggdrasil measurements for a moment. The fact that Schiit is using measurement data from a forum member ("Atomicbob" if I remember correctly) as official measurement data suggests that they may not be testing their own designs for compliance with a set of requirements. I wonder if they even have any performance requirements specified for this product at all. This is so often the case these days when "all-in-one" integrated circuits make consumer level products so easy to make.

so, I am very excited to see some of the marketing hype getting dispelled by reliable measurement data. I am amazed at the dedication that Amir is showing to the audio community by investing so much of his time and money into this. I am very impressed! Nothing frustrates me more than a bunch marketing hype for the sole purpose of separating us trusting souls from our hard-earned cash. It's only natural to WANT to believe that most of the companies out there are really trying to improve upon the state of the art or trying to provide high value products in good faith. Amir and others on this site are really doing a service for the audiophile community by revealing true performance. Thank you all!

I've been around long enough to have seen early attempts at leveling the playing field with standardized specifications (such as the FTC standards). I also remember the industry publications and reviews back then had measurements. (yes, I am old - but not too old) My education is in electronic engineering (focus on digital communications). I'm am very interested to see continued measurements of new equipment - since I don't have an extensive collection of test equipment of my own available. Maybe one day.

Chord Qutest
Schiit Modi Multibit
Behringer UHD404
Aragon D2A (vintage PCM58 based device with fully discrete analog section) - This is one amazing sounding DAC. It works well using the Schiit Eitr to play FLAC files.
Aragon D2A2 (another vintage DAC. This one is PCM63 based with discrete analog section)
Pro-Ject DAC Box S FL (newer TDA1543 (4) NOS type) - This is one sweet sounding DAC
Generic Chinese designed TDA1387 (4) with USB only input and RCA out (sounds absolutely amazing for $25)
I also ordered one of the Topping DX10 units to try based on Amir's measurements. Waiting for it's arrival.

DACs I want to try:
Audio Note AN4.1 (transformer I to V conversion and tube based power supply - COOL STUFF but expensive)
Audio Note AN5.1 signature (Same as above, but even more Robust architecture. I would give real money or travel a good distance to hear this one)

Anyhow, happy to be here. I hope to learn something and help wherever/whenever I can.

"The Dragon"

A fine first post. Welcome aboard.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Chord Qutest
Schiit Modi Multibit
Behringer UHD404

DACs I want to try:

"The Dragon"
Great first post , a bit of background like this goes a long away imo so thanks for introducing yourself and welcome.

OP
The Dragon

The Dragon

Forum Donor
That's a great first post Dragon. :) Thank you for the kind words.

Love to test your Chord Qutest if you ever willing to part with it. :):)

Thanks for the warm welcome. We should talk about how to arrange the Qutest "test".:)

OP
The Dragon

The Dragon

Forum Donor
Great first post , a bit of background like this goes a long away imo so thanks for introducing yourself and welcome.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. If I can be of assistance, let me know. :cool:

Top Bottom