• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

ericisright

Forum Donor
Has anyone been able to get sound from an M1 Macbook Air? My mini-i pro will connect to Roon with Roon Ready and Airplay and make sound but I cannot get the Matrix to make sound connecting to it via Airplay from the Macbook. The title and cover art will show but no sound from both desktop apps and Spotify.

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I seem to have lost the little flap door on the optical input port. I would not really mind so much, but the optical cable no longer clicks into place, but sits there loosely and easily pulls out. Any ideas?
optical 1.jpg
Optical 2.jpg

glucenag

DISCLAIMER: haven't yet taken the time to read everything here. Sorry.

Just gonna point out that this, for me at least, solves the puzzle of accomodating a turntable with phono out and two digital sources (USB from Roon and TOSLINK from my TV). There is nothing I have found which could do all of this for this price and in one single box (which even looks good). I don't really care for the BT, Ethernet, Roon Ready and streaming capabilities, but the thing is, if you want to accomodate a turntable + digital source, there aren't a ton of other ways (I know, using a turntable is questionable but I am nostalgic so I want to have it in my system).

So, in my view, the RCA in is a big thing to note here, setting it aside from anything else I have seen at the same price or below (or even a bit above)µ

QUESTION is: any idea how the RIAA and ADC perform on that little guy? By the way, I guess one could also plug a line-level (not phono) into the RCA in and disable RIAA?

Comments appreciated ! :) Cheers Amir, keep rocking.

glucenag

Oh, I see. So it is for line-level RCA inputs only then, if I understand correctly?

My turntable actually has a built-in phono-to-line converter with analog RIAA, so that switching it to "line mode" I guess I could then connect the RCA out of the turntable to this RCA in right here, correct? If true it is such a major win for me. I am literally killing the preamp from my BoM.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I seem to have lost the little flap door on the optical input port. I would not really mind so much, but the optical cable no longer clicks into place, but sits there loosely and easily pulls out. Any ideas?
View attachment 133210View attachment 133211
You need a new Toslink socket, if you can solder well, DIY, if not, service. Those sockets are a bit flimsy "by design".

Simon80

Hello everyone,
I want to upgrade my devices, I have some questions and I don't have enough experience with audio devices.
Since about 2017 or early 2018, I have been using (DAC:Bifrost gen 5/Amp:WA6 2nd gen).
I am happy to have this experience after many years of buying cheap USB headphones connected directly to my pc.

My question:
Is the Mini-i Pro 3 upgrade from Bifrost, the 2017 model?

I want to try balanced sound, but Bifrost/WA6 don't have balanced inputs/outputs...
Will the Mini-i Pro 3 give me balanced sound experience in the future when I upgrade the Amplifier with balanced inputs?

JoostE

What headphones do you have?

Do you plan on using the mini-i as a dac only, or as amp as well?

Why do you feel balanced is going to give you a better experience?

Simon80

What headphones do you have?

Do you plan on using the mini-i as a dac only, or as amp as well?

Why do you feel balanced is going to give you a better experience?

1/ AKG k712 & Hifiman Ananda.

2/ DAC only.

3/ I have read that balanced is better than unbalanced.
So I thought I will get a better audio experience.

JoostE

1) your AKG is not going to play nice with the headphone output of the mini, but that doesn't matter because you won't be using it, lol

2)

3) Not perse. The biggest advantage balanced will bring you is more volume. I don't think you will notice a huge improvement honestly. Are you going to use the Roon endpoint?

Simon80

1/ OMG, you freak me out, lol

3/ More "volume", Not bad I will like it and welcome it :)
About Roon I am interested to try it why not.. Currently I have a TIDAL HiFi subscription.

JoostE

Roon will cost an extra 10 bucks a month, you will still need Tidal.

If you are not going to use roon, nor the headphone output, I don't think it is a great choice. If you are thinking about later upgrading your AMP too, you might want to look for another Matrix Audio device to have an all in one solution. Warning though, they get expensive ;)

Simon80

I found out about it last night and I said nope, I won't pay for both :)

Man, that LCD display attracts me.
Lots of features I won't use Roon, LAN, Streams, headphone output.
I think I will start looking for another DAC with a screen & balanced outputs :)

Thank you very much JoostE, this conversation brought me back to my senses.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I found out about it last night and I said nope, I won't pay for both :)

Man, that LCD display attracts me.
Lots of features I won't use Roon, LAN, Streams, headphone output.
I think I will start looking for another DAC with a screen & balanced outputs :)

Thank you very much JoostE, this conversation brought me back to my senses.

What are you looking to see in the LCD screen? Album art, settings, track info, sample rate? I own the MA mini-i Pro 3 and the Arcam ST60 Streamer and while the ST60 screen is bigger, the mini-i Pro 3 looks much better and also shows more information!!!

Simon80

Yes, I find it cool, especially because it is colorful :)
Most DACs come with a black and white screen.

JRiggs

Yes, I find it cool, especially because it is colorful :)
Most DACs come with a black and white screen.
The Cambridge CXN v2 fits the bill.

dienow

Hi guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my current setup and this device prom Matrix Audio came up - and boy I have to admit I am attracted to its display too, like a moth to a bulb (as one of our colleagues said in few comments before). But I am not convinced if it is really an update.

I have: SMSL M500 with SMSL SP200 for convenience with balanced output. I listen only to headphones, in particular Hifiman Sundara 2020 (balanced cable), Monoprice Monolith M1060C, AKG K702, AKG K361, occasionally IEMs, such as Tinhifi TinP2 and CCA C12. As a source I use Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio. For future sessions I will probably get some other planars, like Audeze or higher Hifiman tier.

What I want: Great value/performance ratio DAC/Amp or Combo for headphones around 1000 USD with balanced out. Since I have time to listen to the music on my gear like once a week I think that I don’t really need more expensive setup. I don’t mind cables (combo is optional) and like displays. It must have pre out (for future speakers) and would be good to have remote (remote is ideal, but not necessary). Support of MQA full decoding is a must (I like streaming because I have a small flat with no space for CDs or LPs – I plan to move to a bigger flat, hence the preout for speakers/amp). I do not use roon and I do not have an iPhone (although AirPlay is also possible with Android devices).

Questions:

• Is this Matrix mini-I 3 pro step up from my SMSL M500 from the DAC perspective (I know that the chip might not be, but what about the clock)?
  • Is its headphone output impedance such an issue in real life, especially with my headphones? They’re quite low impedance and I am worried if the rule of 8s won’t screw my listening experience in this particular case.
  • What if I’d keep the SMLS M500 and go on with the Topping A90 instead? Wouldn’t it be a better choice from the sound quality standpoint than the Matrix? Franky I kind to tend to this solution but I am not sure and I would appreciate any input on this matter.
Thank you all for any inputs.

S

respice finem

Major Contributor
Audible difference will depend on age IMHO, I (54.) probably wouldn't hear any, if you are 20-30 years old, you might, in direct comparison. Without direct comparison, rather not, I think.

dienow

Audible difference will depend on age IMHO, I (54.) probably wouldn't hear any, if you are 20-30 years old, you might, in direct comparison. Without direct comparison, rather not, I think.
I am in my early 30s. Bit I reckon, without AB-ing it I would not be able to tell

respice finem

Major Contributor
This. The other situation, happened to me several times, less so with DACs, but with headphones: I can hear a difference when comparing directly, but can't really tell which I like better (one was slightly better with rock, the other with classical). I then got both, today I would be smarter and just use two different EQ curves.
The other aspect - if a difference is so small, it can be only heard in direct comparison and I'm still "undecided", it doesn't matter at all, because my everyday hearing does not involve comparing gear.

Top Bottom