• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks.

Assuming all the tests are proper, there is not a big difference between the old PB/SB1000 and the new PRO versions, which is surprising.

View attachment 125261
So, 50-100% increase in SPL capability is "not a big difference"????? I'd call that an almost shocking improvement, especially for the PB-1000.

carewser

I was curious because if the drop off below 30 hz wasn't as dramatic as I now see with that graph, perhaps some EQ drop at 40hz+ and gain below 35hz could at least allow it to produce decent low level bass to 110 dB at 20hz & 116 dB at 25hz or so, (throwing random hopeful figures out since I don't have actual measurements) which would make it at least usable, even if it has nothing below 18 hz, especially if you listen to more music than movies. and yes I meant DXS18 not 12, not sure how it ended up like that in the post. I must admit I do love the , so my love for PA speakers will be there regardless of how not-so-low they go.

I have no idea what the difference between "chest slamming bass" versus "room shaking bass" is but it sounds like Klipsch speakers were designed for someone like you as they aren't known for their accuracy or frequency response but can sure produce volume

King_Pin

I was curious because if the drop off below 30 hz wasn't as dramatic as I now see with that graph, perhaps some EQ drop at 40hz+ and gain below 35hz could at least allow it to produce decent low level bass to 110 dB at 20hz & 116 dB at 25hz or so, (throwing random hopeful figures out since I don't have actual measurements) which would make it at least usable, even if it has nothing below 18 hz, especially if you listen to more music than movies. and yes I meant DXS18 not 12, not sure how it ended up like that in the post. I must admit I do love the chest slamming bass more than the room shaking bass, so my love for PA speakers will be there regardless of how not-so-low they go.
Yup. I used to love hearing Money For Nothing on the stacked butterfly bins at my families bar. We had a good sound guy who also worked for Yamaha. Sitting there 30-40' away and feeling those quick jabs being thrown at your body was intense.
Totally different feeling compared to sub 12hz room wrecking bass.

bennybbbx

I think for quality of a subwoofer it is also important to see a RTA. only in this can see port noise. I have now a JBL 104 BTW. this sound amazing in Bass too. when i compare the values to my other speakers i did not find anything in distortion measure that show that the other have much ugly port noise. here are screenshot of rta of my speakers i currently have. i use the REW generator CEA 2010 Burst at 50 hz. 50 hz is the frequency that most base drums have. so thats an important thing that this area sound good.I look that all sound at same level at 50 hz. i have only speakers that are sell as studio monitors(the cantons alu mangan i sell some time ago).Studio monitors are use to record music and here it happen that only play drum or bass. then port noise is a problem because hear much then. speakers can also use as subwoofers. the other speakers as the JBL 104 have K3 higher as K2. this also sound worser as higher K2 as K3. The port noise can clear see in the measure
Eris 3.5
eris 3.5 rta.jpg

JBL 104 BTW is a coaxial system and have only a 4.5 inch speaker. because the tweeter is in middle the area is less than 4.5. strange wy the JBL is so good. maybe it is because the driver coil is larger and so the distance to the outer side of membrane is shorter.

jbl 104 rta.jpg
iloud mtm
mtm rta.jpg

Kali LP6
kali lp6 rta.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subwoofer port noise is an interesting question. It is a common problem that impacts the frequency response of most bookshelf speakers creating resonance in the mid range frequency band significantly impacting that speakers response curve. But for a subwoofer its response curve drops off much lower than yh typical port resonance frequencies. So it shouldn't impact the speakers response itself. BUT port resonance still is mid range noise and likely pretty powerful at that given the size and power of subwoofers. So how does it affect the in room response of the entire system?

bennybbbx

Subwoofer port noise is an interesting question. It is a common problem that impacts the frequency response of most bookshelf speakers creating resonance in the mid range frequency band significantly impacting that speakers response curve. But for a subwoofer its response curve drops off much lower than yh typical port resonance frequencies. So it shouldn't impact the speakers response itself. BUT port resonance still is mid range noise and likely pretty powerful at that given the size and power of subwoofers. So how does it affect the in room response of the entire system?

the port noise that is in the RTA measure is the port noise that happen when play a 50 hz tone. its the noise of the air that is flow out of bassport. this frequency is around 1 khz in eris and 1.5 khz on mtm. both have back side port. this noise is so loud an can hear much when measure 1 m away on front. subwoofers play 50 hz too. maybe people think it is rumble from the room. to check where it comes there can hear on port when play a 50 hz tone. see here how this is measure. you need press both buttons and open both windows to measure.
50 hz measure.jpg

you can also use a online testsignal generator to generate 50 hz.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Added CEA-2010-A data for SVS SB-1000 Pro, from Brent Butterworth.

The results are weird (at least to me):
1. Brent's previously posted data for SVS SB-1000 (currently discontinued), outperformed SB-1000 Pro by 1-2dbs.
2. Audioholic's data for SB-1000 Pro shows a big difference (2-4db) when compared to Brent's data.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Added CEA-2010-A data for SVS SB-1000 Pro, from Brent Butterworth.

The results are weird (at least to me):
1. Brent's previously posted data for SVS SB-1000 (currently discontinued), outperformed SB-1000 Pro by 1-2dbs.
2. Audioholic's data for SB-1000 Pro shows a big difference (2-4db) when compared to Brent's data.
1-2 db would be within the margin of error i think.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Just a quick note to let you know I used your spreadsheet to help choose a Rythmik F18. Can't wait for delivery, hope it doesn't take too long.
Thank you so much, @sweetchaos ! Here's another satisfied customer!

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Monoprice just released 2 new subwoofers that I thought I should mention, seeing how well previous Monoprice subs performed.
- Monoprice Monolith 13" THX Ultra. US$1600. 153lb. Link
1628224090640.png
- Monoprice Monolith 16" THX Ultra. US$2000. ? lb. Link
1628224102103.png

I'm looking forward to seeing these reviewed!

Biblob

Where is the love for the Kef Kube 10b or the Q Acoustics Q B12? They have (relatively) good output for their size, which is relatively small. Especially the Kef, just a tad hit bigger than the SVS 3000 Micro and have more output than those, especially <40hz. The Kef is €589 here and the Q Acoustics is available for €500.

SS55

Where is the love for the Kef Kube 10b or the Q Acoustics Q B12? They have (relatively) good output for their size, which is relatively small. Especially the Kef, just a tad hit bigger than the SVS 3000 Micro and have more output than those, especially <40hz. The Kef is €589 here and the Q Acoustics is available for €500.
SVS SB 1000 Pro is the reason for the lack of love for Kef Kube 10B and Q Acoustic B12. Similar or better performance with 3 band PEQ, a solid track record and a tad bit smaller than the Kube 10B.

Biblob

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Arnandsway

For people with gear capable stand-alone room correction and bass management Monoprice Monolith series is very difficult to beat for the price.

If you want the extra PEQ and application the SVS 1000 Pro series is solid.

nothing else competes imo with these two options.

Biblob

@Arnandsway

For people with gear capable stand-alone room correction and bass management Monoprice Monolith series is very difficult to beat for the price.

If you want the extra PEQ and application the SVS 1000 Pro series is solid.

nothing else competes imo with these two options.
I agree the Monoprice has great SPL performance. It's just fairly big compared to the SVS and Kef. But that's just physics, bigger size = more headroom (in theory) :)

Top Bottom