• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing speakers for a small room

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apologies if I've missed this but are absorbers on the side walls and ceiling an option? If the room is bare otherwise you might be able to do this without overdamping the room.

As you have Dirac Live to use, are you considering using a subwoofer in addition to the small speakers that you mentioned? I would.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might be able to repurpose one of your rear absorbing panels actually, and you'd need at most two there to cover the first reflection points.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
luckily mine isn't, and measurement result shows quite ok response, but then regarding OP, in such use case measurements tells more than guessing
You have a magic room. Can we have the formula?
Thanks

YSC

Major Contributor
You have a magic room. Can we have the formula?
Thanks
really difficult to tell, if you search my id you can saw I shared the in room measurement of my setup, but in what I will call a very complicated room.
Speakers on the corner of a long bench style desk, a 24" dell monitor in between, 5cm from front wall angling approximately 10 degrees towards LP, engaged desktop switch, bass roll off and use with 7040A with -2db bass and same sensitivity, rear wall was like 5 feet away from speaker but a 1.5 feet deep wardrobe from floor to ceiling, 7040A was right in the middle of the speakers but one side it's sticking to the computer tower and 1 foot from it was a concrete window platform, for 8030Cs one side is full of small stuffs my wife cramped into...

basically a gaming room where I put the speakers inside the only space available, it's wonderful that luck prevails that in stereo the L+R channels only shows significant difference in the bass region below ~95hz which was taken over by the sub, and that the total sum somehow follows the target response quite well

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Ok. What you said is impossible. In little room you have the same issue as room greater more a bad modal behavior.
Am I clear?

YSC

Major Contributor
Ok. What you said is impossible. In little room you have the same issue as room greater more a bad modal behavior.
Am I clear?
don't understand what you mean, so you mean that the REW measurements are bad and can't be trusted? I was just saying that in such complicated real life usage optimization need to be done with measurements and that is not ok?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
You wrote in a little room there are no floor bounce and celling reflections
It's impossible in a non treated floor and celling or without use of woofer near the floor for the floor bounce.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The absorbers are behind me and they do tame a good deal of echo. Carpet on floor. The room is basically bare except for my chair.

A question is if you have ever tried it? I.e damping behing the speakers, speaker close to wall, toe-in, and leaving most of the room reflective? In my experience, having the listening area as a normal living room with a mix of natural absorption and reflective furniture works good.

YSC

Major Contributor
You wrote in a little room there are no floor bounce and celling reflections
It's impossible in a non treated floor and celling or without use of woofer near the floor for the floor bounce.
ok, that's maybe my misunderstanding, I thought that in such case since music isn't a pure tone, when direct sound and front/back wall reflected sound was much closer and hence faster to reach the ear, the effects of the bouncing was negligible, and as higher frequencies don't go omnidirectional, in my case the frontal dispersion zone at say 50 degrees will hit the back wall and not ceiling for direct reflection, that's why I thought that in such case ceiling reflection shouldn't be a problem, of coz that's just pure speculation and I expect the second reflection from wall->ceiling->LP would have different effect than normal larger room

YSC

Major Contributor
ok, that's maybe my misunderstanding, I thought that in such case since music isn't a pure tone, when direct sound and front/back wall reflected sound was much closer and hence faster to reach the ear, the effects of the bouncing was negligible, and as higher frequencies don't go omnidirectional, in my case the frontal dispersion zone at say 50 degrees will hit the back wall and not ceiling for direct reflection, that's why I thought that in such case ceiling reflection shouldn't be a problem, of coz that's just pure speculation and I expect the second reflection from wall->ceiling->LP would have different effect than normal larger room
just speculation on my side, an explanation on why I initially think that's the case, or why my comments go, not to argue I was right, anyway, for OP it seems using REW to measure and measure the all important actual in room response, not to offend anyone

Top Bottom