• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

strom

The prototype tested by @WolfX-700 is very close in measurement to the tests on this unit;

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-d90se-dac-prototype/

Looks like a winner... but could be priced more competitively IMO.

Look at the difference in the Vrms levels there... @amirm also mentioned here that he got the higher figure too.

index.php

JSmith

strom

Can the Topping D90SE be used with my Stax electrostatic setup? Are there L and R RCA inputs in the rear?

Swtoby

i corrected the statement to say hifiguides. like i said i will not derail this thread. however the way you talk to your customers has been unacceptable, and permanently damaged toppings credibility for some people outside of the engineering mistakes that destroyed headphones, many people mention in many threads. if you dont care fine i wont argue with you here.
I agree completely.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree completely.
@JohnYang1997 as a Topping representative and as a peep here has been as clearly spoken as can be in simple yes and no terms for all peeps here. He deserves more than a slagging. He approaches every peep whether a customer or not as a honest no games straight shooter. That is a rare thing these days. We are lucky to have him here @ ASR.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I find him totally righteous and straightforward, especially given English isn't his first language. He's a credit to the brand.

There will always be some posters with an axe to grind looking to argue the detail of individual phrases to start some crap if they don't get smoke blown up their arse.

Last edited:

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Without the PCB in my hands (or ours), or even better... the schematics, we are only speculating.

This is why I asked what that 3710 is. Cannot be a power supply chip. May be a line driver seeing where it is located.

azoazo

I follow this thread very often. After reading a few posts, I think I should login to express my appreciation to John's straightforwardness and outspoken style. This is rare in today's world and needs a lot of time. Please continue.
In my signal path, everything before the power amp are from Topping and I plan to replace my D90 with D90SE.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I plan to replace my D90 with D90SE.
Probably my bad but I don't really understand/see what you hope to achieve by doing that..

Veri

Master Contributor
More accurate reproduction of signal, at least to the output of DAC.
Gotta do what you wanna do :) but one could posit the AK4499/Topping D90 is already insanely accurate!

respice finem

Major Contributor
Disclaimer: purely subjective. I never regarded as necessary to "rationalize" a purchase. If I like something, it fits my use case and I can afford it, why not? You only live once... That said, I then tend to keep the stuff I've bought until it fails.

auronthas

Sorry to bring it up again, should Roon recognise Topping DAC , Roon/Topping users can modify D90 settings in Roon Remote 's device setup as the above photo eg. upsampling , MQA capabilities as decoder/renderer, MQA core decoder etc.
Or I will get a Roon Ready Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 , tempting :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Placed my order today for the D90ES at Apos. Looking forward to get it delivered this week. Going to use it as an external DAC with my Bluesound NODE over Coaxial until Bluesound releases the firmware that would enable the USB out in the NODE.

Top Bottom