• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 vs SMSL SU-9

Selarom

Hello All!
This looks like a well built and high quality unit. Would you say the Gustard X16 is a solid unit in terms of functionality?

My current DAC is very inconsistent having issues loosing connection through USB or changing sampling rates from 176 to 192 and back to 48 for general windows stuff.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine has been solid. No issues switching rates or formats. I'm feeding it from a Raspberry Pi (Arch Linux) instead of Windows.

Selarom

Mine has been solid. No issues switching rates or formats. I'm feeding it from a Raspberry Pi (Arch Linux) instead of Windows.

Thanks! looking for more info into this. I also have a THX 789. Good read that they make a good pair.. which should make sense, given that both units were made to be accurate and not color the sound. I can use software for that.

Thanks again.

chefffe

I had both but sent the Gustard back to Amazon. The reasons are the following. My Gustard X16 had the worst possible BT reception. The signal broke already after around 3m. I guess the BT was broken at the X16 which I recieved.
2nd reason was the display. If you use it on the desk and you can look directly at it it might be ok, but I want to use the DAC also es Preamp and control it from 3m distance. At this distance you have no chance to see anything on the X16 display.
With the SU9 both "issues" are not at all present and the display is simply said fantastic.

The X16 is more Premium as many people said. Soundwise its impossible for me to say one is better than the other. Thats why my focus was on the usability. Even the SU9 might have the 3rd harmonic issue liu found, I am not able to hear it and SMSL at least found the issue and is on the way to fix it.

Gradius

The problem with SMSL is the warranty. They are pretty much... disposable "goods".

I wanted the upcoming D90SE, but it will probably be $999.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with SMSL is the warranty. They are pretty much... disposable "goods".
Exactly my concerns and while it is cheaper, i prefer to spend a bit more upfront for something that i feel will last (or backed) longer
In my experience smsl and schiit have a lot of work to do on the reliability side. i will never buy either again.

chefffe

I doubt that the SU9 will fell soon apart ... but yes, I cant be sure. Whatever ..., thats my first SMSL and still I am pretty convinced. Lets see ...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that the SU9 will fell soon apart ... but yes, I cant be sure. Whatever ..., thats my first SMSL and still I am pretty convinced. Lets see ...
its a risk you are willing to take, me i have been burned and learn from those mistakes so feel free to risk your money. I would just encourage you to not do it blindly as most consumers do. I learned the hard way as mine failed (different product). In my research smsl's quality and reliability has been less than reliable based upon lots of user feedback. As with everything YMMV

Last edited:

chefffe

In Germany we have 2 years of warranty regardless the vendor warranty. If it fails within this time I send it back to Amazon ... I am pretty convinced this would be no issue. If it fails afterwards, ok ... bad luck ...

Veri

Master Contributor
In Germany we have 2 years of warranty regardless the vendor warranty. If it fails within this time I send it back to Amazon ... I am pretty convinced this would be no issue. If it fails afterwards, ok ... bad luck ...
Exactly. Why I still always buy at the likes of audiophonics/hifistudio79/amazon EU/... rather than aliexpress or other China-direct retailer.

dsnyder0cnn

I had both but sent the Gustard back to Amazon. The reasons are the following. My Gustard X16 had the worst possible BT reception. The signal broke already after around 3m. I guess the BT was broken at the X16 which I recieved.
2nd reason was the display. If you use it on the desk and you can look directly at it it might be ok, but I want to use the DAC also es Preamp and control it from 3m distance. At this distance you have no chance to see anything on the X16 display.
With the SU9 both "issues" are not at all present and the display is simply said fantastic.

The X16 is more Premium as many people said. Soundwise its impossible for me to say one is better than the other. Thats why my focus was on the usability. Even the SU9 might have the 3rd harmonic issue liu found, I am not able to hear it and SMSL at least found the issue and is on the way to fix it.

I've used the Bluetooth feature of the Gustard a couple of times for Zoom calls and didn't have any problems with it, but I was sitting pretty close. Did you have the antenna connected (dumb question, but I thought I'd ask)? The antenna is pretty cheap, so that might have been the weak link, connected or not. For me, Bluetooth is not a reason to buy the Gustard X16 anyway. If I could pay a few bucks less for the same DAC without Bluetooth, I would, since the main benefit to a DAC like this is pristine sound quality through its wired digital inputs.

IIRC, the output impedance of the X16 is 300Ω, which is pretty high. I would avoid using it without a preamp unless the downstream amp's input impedance is 50kΩ or higher. I agree that the display is small, but I knew this would be the case before I bought it. Mine stays off almost all of the time.

I've not heard the SU9 yet, but a couple of friends have bought it after I pointed them at Amir's review, so perhaps I'll have a chance once COVID is sorted here. By the measurements, these two DACs should sound extremely similar, especially after careful level matching. I would not want to bet that I could tell them apart in a blind test.

But, I agree with your choice…to focus on usability for your application. Honestly, I can't see anyone going wrong with either DAC. They are tough to beat below 500 USD.

chefffe

Of course the antenna was connected and a lot of times checked if it seats correctly. As mentioned, I assume the one I recieved had broken BT.
If I pay for HD BT I want to have a working HD BT ...

Else ... hearing "differences" does not mean at all that one is superior other not ... if u are able to hear more/better Bass or Highs at one of these I award you having a golden ear ;)

dsnyder0cnn

Yeah. In the US, it looks like Apos offers a two year warranty on new S.M.S.L. items that they sell. They are located nearby and have been terrific to work with (none of my purchases have required warranty service so far, fingers crossed). If I was spending more than $139 on an S.M.S.L. product, I'd definitely go through Apos instead of Amazon here in the US.

http://help.apos.audio/en/articles/3197291-apos-audio-2nd-year-transferable-warranty

Addy

I still not confidence from su-9 that have fixed 3rd harmonic bc software version not increase, for gustard x-16 they will fixed EPROM in 1-2week with software rev. number increase.

chefffe

I fully agree! If there is no visible "thing" where a customer can identify upgraded and non upgraded Versions thats again quite a big BS from SMSL. I am still happy that I sent the SU9 back, even I was overall really satisfied with the device. If I cannot be sure that I get NOW an upgraded one I would not even think about to buy again.

robertospeed

it's a week since I have the su-9, but it's an old version and I would like to make the return, I read here that it has problems with the third harmonica, then I wouldn't know what Dac buy with 400 euros

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I've used the Bluetooth feature of the Gustard a couple of times for Zoom calls and didn't have any problems with it, but I was sitting pretty close. Did you have the antenna connected (dumb question, but I thought I'd ask)? The antenna is pretty cheap, so that might have been the weak link, connected or not. For me, Bluetooth is not a reason to buy the Gustard X16 anyway. If I could pay a few bucks less for the same DAC without Bluetooth, I would, since the main benefit to a DAC like this is pristine sound quality through its wired digital inputs.

I also had no problems with Bluetooth when I tested it. But I did spend a long time getting that antenna on. It's very tricky

Also---here is the on/off directions from the manual.

1. BT POWER
    Bluetooth power control, X16 high-definition Bluetooth module can only be turned on when the Bluetooth channel is selected. Option “SELECTED” Bluetooth can only be connected when the current input channel is Bluetooth.. Option “ALWAYS” will always enable Bluetooth connection. The Bluetooth name of DAC-X16 is GUSTARD BT.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
IIRC, the output impedance of the X16 is 300Ω, which is pretty high. I would avoid using it without a preamp unless the downstream amp's input impedance is 50kΩ or higher. I agree that the display is small, but I knew this would be the case before I bought it. Mine stays off almost all of the time.

Electrical Engineering 101 was not my favorite course. I don't understand the importance of what you point out above. But I was tinkering with the idea of outputting the Gustard X16 (300Ω) to Genetec 8030C (1 x XLR Analog Input (10kΩ)) - but I guess I will run into problems?

Top Bottom