• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

mindbomb

smsl released the su-8, a competitor to the topping d50. The smsl comes with an integrated power supply, balanced out and remote, so it's better in terms of features, but people are wondering if that comes at the expense of performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
smsl released the su-8, a competitor to the topping d50. The smsl comes with an integrated power supply, balanced out and remote, so it's better in terms of features, but people are wondering if that comes at the expense of performance.
Someone bought it on massdrop and is drop shipping it to me end of this month.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Members have sent them so I don't have them memorized. This is one of them: http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model994DiscreteOpAmp-Ticha.html
994DiscreteOpAmp.jpg

Would be great if these are measured in comparison to ultra-low noise single chip opamps like the AD797 and LT1028 / 1128.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

Well, you've been on a quest to find superbly measuring gear for cheap. You've had basically two real finds. The Topping DACs, and the Behringer.

While I hope you find more Toppings, I think you need to go upmarket just a bit. We have the excellent RME DAC for about a grand. We need something in between.

Now here is another recording interface I'd like to nominate.
Apogee Element series. Apogee is no BS company.
Basically they put all the resources into the internals of the box. It has no controls except via software in the computer or an external control device available. They claim some excellent specs.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/element/specifications

DAC THD+N of -114 db. Dynamic range of 123 db (A-wtd). Has a nice headphone amp built in too.

Plus bonus extras of some damn good ADCs, microphone pres with 129 db EIN. Or so they claim.

For the 4th of July they have sale on refurbed Element 24 series of $399 (normally $595).
http://www.apogeedigital.com/4th-of-july

If I didn't have too many interfaces already I'd buy one and send it to you. I think at a minimum you could buy this refurb, test it, and resell it to recoup easily 80% of the money spent.

I might even do that on a Element 46 and let you test it. I'll have to sleep on it.

PLEASE NOTE: these are Thunderbolt connected interfaces. You have any way to test such a thing?

Timbo2

@amirm

<snip>
Now here is another recording interface I'd like to nominate.
Apogee Element series. Apogee is no BS company.
<snip>
PLEASE NOTE: these are Thunderbolt connected interfaces. You have any way to test such a thing?

Reading their web site not only is Thunderbolt, but I think it's Mac only.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This can be an interesting device, escpially if the balanced output topology takes advantage of the two outputs of each mobile ES9038 for a real balanced design!
The 110V/220V switch on the bottom might be a hint that the device is using a linear power supply, for better or worse.

The fact that it explicitly mentions having specific THD tuning parameters might give a interesting response and perspective to the distortion vs output level "hump" seen in the D50 and DX7s (shameless attempt to tempt Amir to test it here ;) )

Too bad it does not have an AES3 input., but the rear panel is already cramped.
By the way I don't understand why AES is falling out of fahion in favor of spdif coax: the former is so more pleasant to use, and the cables tend to be more flexible and thin...

duo8

Not sure if it was suggested but the xDuoo XD-05 seems featureful for the size

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I love your sentiments and was ready to pull the plug on it till I read others say it won't work on Windows. Their FAQ says the same thing:

Question – Is the Element Series Windows compatible?

Answer – There are no current plans to support Windows.

I can't believe in this day and age someone would cut off a big chunk of their market by building Mac-only hardware. Years ago, sure. But not now.

Any other alternatives?

bennetng

Major Contributor
I love your sentiments and was ready to pull the plug on it till I read others say it won't work on Windows. Their FAQ says the same thing:

I can't believe in this day and age someone would cut off a big chunk of their market by building Mac-only hardware. Years ago, sure. But not now.

Any other alternatives?
That Apogee could be a potential "poor man's Audio Precision", but...

Thunderbolt rant:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3418136

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Any other alternatives?

Don't know of a substitute. Not anything claiming specs like that at such a price.

Yes, not just Thunderbolt, but Mac only. Antelope has Thunderbolt drivers for Windows, but most of their gear also has USB as well as T-bolt.

Apogee's decision to simply say no to Windows is odd, but apparently the company has no trouble surviving.

Last edited:

Dismayed

How about additional measurements, such as air, speed, palpable presence, and bass slam?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about additional measurements, such as air, speed, palpable presence, and bass slam?
Air test-Am I breathing or suffocating? Simple yes or no.

Speed- all products have speed as the electrons are moving quite fast.

Palpable presence test- drop device on foot. Is it palpable....yes or no.

I'll let someone else come up with the bass slam protocol.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always wondered how the Lampizator DACs perform, given the poor performance of the revered Audio Note UK models, but they are very expensive. Maybe somebody could lend one to amir?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have always wondered how the Lampizator DACs perform, given the poor performance of the revered Audio Note UK models, but they are very expensive. Maybe somebody could lend one to amir?
I have a lead on the newer model (Pacific?). So hopefully that will come true.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Whatever happened to Willow's, from Khadas, offer to provide product for test?

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Man, that looks so utilitarian for the $250 price. :) Also, I can't find any resellers in US. Are there any?

I ordered directly from their China store. (living in belgium). Don't know any US re-sellers. I could sent it to you for testing if you are interested.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Whatever happened to Willow's, from Khadas, offer to provide product for test?
We communicated and I gave them my shipping info. They said they were waiting for some part and that they would ship it out on July 1 and give me tracking number. But I have heard nothing since then so I don't think it is coming right now.

Edit: I just sent them a reminder.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I ordered directly from their China store. (living in belgium). Don't know any US re-sellers. I could sent it to you for testing if you are interested.
Thank you so much. I think there will be a lot of money and time lost in sending it back and forth. Let me think about purchasing it. How do you like yours so far?

Top Bottom